1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Rockets are doing anything & everything to move Brooks or Delfino

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

ESPN: Rockets doing anything and everything to move AB + Delfino

Do these guys have even minimum value at their current contract?

I am thinking yes... maybe like a 2nd round pick or something small. They are useful role players signed to 1 year small $ deals. The whole purpose of paying AB $2.5M for the remainder of 2012-13 and asking for a 2nd year unguaranteed when they knew they'd need the cap room is for the possibility of this kind of a trade.

Reminds me of what they did with Dalembert. Hope it works out similarly here.

Sure, a team might pick these guys up as free agents after they are waived, but if a team is interested in them, trading for them now avoids (1) having to compete with other teams in free agency, and (2) having to possibly hand them multi-year contracts.

Their money is fully unguaranteed, but I doubt HOU is selling them for salary relief since the Rockets don't want to take back money.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Link

The Houston Rockets are doing anything and everything they can to move Aaron Brooks or Carlos Delfino in conjunction with the draft before they're forced to just let them go in order to create as much cap space as possible for the long-planned pursuit in free agency of Dwight Howard.

#2 J.R., Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  3. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Yeah their real value is the fact that they're non-guaranteed, but it's not like we're gonna take back salary for them. Hopefully somebody out there really likes these guys.

Still waiting on Hinkie to do us a solid...

4. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

Morey seems confident that he's getting Howard. I think there is something we don't know. Perhaps a verbal agreement between both parties?

5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Not possible. Maybe Chandler gave some nudges his way though. We can't get Dwight without clearing the room and the best time to make trades is right before the draft.

6. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Well it's possible, it'd just be tampering :p

7. basketballholic

They are non-guaranteed until July 1 and then they are guaranteed. We need to exchange those guys for non-guaranteed contracts that are non-guaranteed for all of 2014 or at least until September of 2014, non-guaranteeds like the kind Cleveland has, or Boston, or Portland with Sasha.

8. pnr

pnr Member

If we are able to move AB and Delfino while trading TRob, will we have enough room to offer Dwight the max?

9. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

I think it is TRob + AB or Delfino should be enough

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I wonder if there are dumb teams that haven't gotten wise to the value of 2nd round picks that would gladly give them up for Brooks/Delfino

11. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Moving AB and Delfino don't really affect our pursuit of Howard. I mean, they were non-guaranteed contracts in the first place (and would not be picked up on July 1 regardless). Morey is either trying to move them for other non-guaranteed contracts that have a later date of decision (not as early as July 1) or for a second round pick, for people who might want Delfino or Brooks now and not fight for them in FA.

Moving TRob for a pick clears MOST of the room we need to sign Dwight, but it'd still be a few hundred thousand short. Even if we waive and stretch White, I think we come in like $700k short, assuming we pick up Parsons, Bev and Smith.

12. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

We went down that rabbit hole the day we amnestied Scola. It just means Morey is taking a huge dump before going to the buffet. He's gotta be ready for Dwight.

6 people like this.
  13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Yeah , he's just trying to move them for an asset rather than cut them loose for nothing.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Meh, Dwight's going to the Clippers.

15. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

We are making moves in order to pursuit Howard. It does not mean we will acquire Howard.

16. treeman

treeman Member

I was hoping we could bring at least one of them back after we get Dwight and the dust settled. I guess something else is going on. I know we have to lose their contracts but this means no getting them back, right? This smells like Morey's got more brewing than just getting Dwight.

I am gonna miss Delfino. I thought he was a random scrub coming in be he turned out to be a vital part of the season's success. I trust Morey knows what he's doing and will get a good return out of this.

17. Chamillionaire

I'm not getting my hopes up. Hoping for the best, expecting the worst.

18. finsraider

finsraider Member

It's just Morey trying to squeeze the last bit of juice out of their contracts. It's related to Dwight only in the sense that there's no way we take back any salary....otherwise it's just typical Morey.

19. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Member

Very underrated sentence. Noted.

20. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

No, he's not. The Lakers aren't pairing Paul and Howard together for their inner city rival that shares the same arena with them. They'll let him walk or SnT him to Houston first. Doesn't matter whether Blake Griffin is the best player they can get in return.