1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scout's Analysis on 2014 NBA Draft

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by bobbyli1316, Jun 12, 2014.

1. bobbyli1316

bobbyli1316 New Member

This is the first time in my life that I am more excited for the NBA draft than the NBA finals. I can't wait for the finals to be over. There are a lot of players that I like in this draft, but none more so than UCLA's Kyle Anderson. I would build my franchise around Kyle Anderson. He's not going to make an immediate impact in the NBA, but give him time, and he will blossom into his own type of point guard that will be the closest thing to Magic the league has ever seen.

Anyone who has done their due diligence on previous drafts knows that the teams with the higher picks don't always draft the best players. I think it's because teams get too caught up on the individual player and forget what their end goal is and that is to win a championship. It takes more than talent to win a championship. You need chemistry, balance, and most importantly, the organization needs to have a culture that is dedicated to winning, and in order to win, you need team players who love basketball and are fearlessly, committed to that end goal. Teams need to be not only good at evaluating talent but be excellent judge of characters. Is a multi-million dollar contract going to change who this person is? Does he actually love basketball or is he just really good and that's why he's here? Is he mentally tough, or will he lose his peace of mind in a Game 7? Will this be a job for him or is this his passion? These are all questions that can't be answered by the draft combine or any number of workouts you hold prior to the draft. The real homework for the NBA draft isn't done in the weeks leading up to it but instead years and years before. For the most part, if you want to see how a kids going to hold up in the NBA, you need to see him play. Watching him playing in high school or in the NCAA March Madness will tell you far more about a kid than how high he can jump or how well he does a drill. If you're interviewing someone for a job, do you think you can learn more about the candidate in the interview or if you had the chance to secretly observe him at his last job.

With that said, here's my analysis for the NBA Draft this year:
    Kyle Anderson, UCLA

What position will he play? He's a pure point guard. Not a small forward, not a point-forward, he's a point guard.

How will he guard quicker, point guards? I don't need him to. How about I switch him to the 2 or 3 on defense, and have my more athletic 2 or 3 guard your 1. Isn't that what the Heat did last year when they tried to slow down Tony Parker in the finals, put LBJ on him? With Kyle in the lineup, opposing point guards would face a taller defender every night.

How are point guards going to guard Kyle Anderson? He's not only going to be looking over every point guard in the league but able to shoot over them and out-rebound them. If he can't drive past them, he will back them down. Isn't that what Magic, Gary Payton, and Jason Kidd did? Everyone's talking about the problems Kyle's going to have, but how about the defensive problems he creates.

The straight dope is that Kyle has the rare ability to create from anywhere on the court. In the 1/2 court, he's as good as it gets, and how many times did he start the offense off a defensive rebound to a hail mary pass. I have always said that at the highest level of basketball: skills, height, athleticism, all that equals out; what it comes down to is who deeply loves the game and is all in. Kyle's not the type of player that's going to be ok with losing a game and retiring to his penthouse for the night. He gets on his teammates for the smallest things, and yeah he may have a bit of an attitude right now but all that comes from a good place in his heart. Over time, he will learn how to get the best out of his teammates and become a better leader. Kyle's an alpha dog, unafraid of the pressure, who loves the game. He will be the best player in this draft when it's all said and done.

Zach Lavine, UCLA

I'm a big fan of Lavine. He can hit the long ball, a freak of nature athletically, and knows how to play. But what I don't know is his true playing style. He was coming off the bench for UCLA and mostly scored off spot up 3's and breakaway jams. I have an outline of the player he is but can't tell you how he performs in the clutch and if is he a type of player that hunts for his shots, or looks to create. Regardless, he's a top 5 draft pick in my book.

Jordan Adams, UCLA

I love baby harden. All you need to know about him is that he's clutch and has ice water in his veins. He's not the most athletic but has a long wingspan which explains all the steals he had this year. He's a championship player who's going to have a long career. Will be a steal at whatever spot he gets drafted.

Andrew Wiggins, Kansas

Physically, Wiggins is one of the most impressive players the NBA has ever seen. He has long legs, short torso, with huge hands and long wingspan. He reminded me of a young Jordan but MJ couldn't even run and jump the way he can. My problem with Wiggins is that I don't know if he really loves the game. He is the son of a former NBA player and an Olympic track and field sprinter, so genetically, he was born to play basketball. But did he get to where is he today just off of talent and dominating lesser players, or is he also obsessed with the game as say, Kobe Bryant? I'm leaning towards the former, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't take Andrew Wiggins with the #1 pick. The key to winning with a player like Wiggins is surrounding him with players that are passionate and self-motivated. He also doesn't seem like a natural leader so players with that ability will also be necessary if you're going to win a championship with him. Kyrie Irving would be perfect to complement Andrew Wiggins, so it's looking all good for Cleveland. Unless they're thinking of drafting Joel Embiid and signing LBJ; that would be crazy and could work but a lot of if's.

Joel Embiid, Kansas

Embiid reminds me of Hakeem Olajuwon with his footwork and mobility. He's a great defensive player who has no trouble offensively. Although he's only been playing basketball for a few years, you can tell that he has a natural feel for the game and will be adding more moves to his offensive repertoire. The concern with him is his back and while I don't know what the real issue is, it is a concern nonetheless. I don't love him like I love Andre Drummond, and if I'm considering him at the top 3, I might have to pass and wait for the next center to come along. Great players never stop coming.

Jabari Parker, Duke

I think Jabari Parker is a cross between Andre Iguodala and Carmelo Anthony, and I'm not particularly fond of either player. He reminds me of AI because of his playing style and Carmelo because he's ok with not winning. While Jabari can play, my issue with him is his mental toughness. In all the games that I watched him play, I noticed that Jabari never finishes a game as well as he starts. His play fumbles during the clutch, and I believe it was during the Duke/Syracuse game where he fouled out and was jumping up and down out of control although euphorically on the sidelines. I don't want to see my best player like that. He's not an alpha dog and you're definitely not winning a championship if he's your #1 player. At best and I mean absolutely best case scenario, Jabari can be your third leg of a Big 3.

Julius Randle, Kentucky

Like Jabari Parker, you're not winning a championship if Julius Randle is your best player. The best case scenario I see for Julius is if he morphs into a Chris Bosh like player. And this is a good thing. I absolutely love Chris Bosh and how he has shed his ego for the Miami Heat. The Heat don't win any of their last two championships without Chris Bosh accepting his role next to Batman and Robin, and absolutely killing it as the third leg. Chris Bosh is a HOF in my book and has redefined the role for the #3 player on a team. All future Big 3's will need a player like Chris Bosh.

Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State

I have no idea why anyone is talking about Marcus Smart. How are we saying that Kyle Anderson is not a point guard and he is? Just because he brings the ball up, that makes him a point guard? Just because he penetrates and kicks the ball out, he's a good passer? The dude shot 42% and 40% from the field his freshmen and sophomore year, respectively. Are we talking about him because he's 6'4 and there has been a trend of bigger point guards? That's probably it.

Nik Stauskas, Michigan

It's interesting to see how fickle NBA mock drafts are. I remember seeing Nik Stauskas barely in the 2nd round at various times during the college season and now he's a lottery pick. What makes Nik special from other shooters is that he can put the ball on the floor and create. He's not afraid to attack the rim, and has the athleticism to jam it on players. While Nik is a solid player all around, he can get nervous during the clutch and may become a bit doubtful. He's good enough to be the 3rd best player on a team, and if he's the 4th best, they're winning a ring.

Tyler Ennis, Syracuse

Pure point guard who's unafraid of the big moment. He's tough, knows how to play, and is naturally a leader. I have no problem seeing him have a long career and think he will only get better as he ages.

Aaron Gordon, Arizona

I like that Aaron Gordon is a team player who leaves it all on the court. He's a hard worker and a championship-caliber player. However, he is not Blake Griffin. While he may have the athleticism and even look like Blake Griffin, he is nowhere near the offensive player that Blake Griffin is or was in college. BG32 has real basketball moves and is very fluid with his body. Gordon is much more mechanical and just doesn't have the offensive skills like BG32. I think he will get better over time, but things come naturally to BG32 and that's the difference between them. Nevertheless, Aaron Gordon has all the other qualities of a championship player.

Doug McDermott, Creighton

Dougie McDougie is good. He can shoot, put the ball on the floor, and knows how to play the game. He has the height for the 2 and I'm not too worried about him trying to keep up defensively. I don't think he can be the face of a franchise but definitely a starter. I see him ultimately being him a key bench player on a championship-contender and making his biggest impact there.

Noah Vonleh, Indiana

I have never seen Noah play in a game, but from the clips I have seen, he seems legit. A traditional power forward with big hands that reminds me of the 90's. But because I have never seen him play, hard for me to say anything about his playing style and attitude towards the game.

Patric Young, Florida

Big boy with muscular physique that can anchor down the paint. I think he's solid as a rock and not too shabby offensively. In time he will add more to his game but would be a great addition to any roster. While different in style, I can see him having an impact similar to that of Taj Gibson.

After soccer, basketball has become the most competitive sport, globally. There are currently 30 NBA teams, and during the season each team is allowed to carry no more than 15 players. So, let's say 450 players in the NBA. Think of how many college players and other professional players are vying for one of those spots. There is a far greater supply of NBA-capable talent than demand. There shouldn't be as many as bad picks as there has been, especially at the top.

1 person likes this.
  2. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

So you went to/go to UCLA? I like Kyle and remember him fondly out of high school, but there's just no way that he's a franchise player with what he did in college. Finally, I'm pretty sure you're not a scout, dunno why you named the thread what you did.

3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

[​IMG]

4. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

While I don't think Kyle Anderson should be your franchise player(unless you don't have any other option), he's so unique and efficient that in the right system he could be a star. Problem is most NBA teams pick BPA who doesn't necessarily fit their system. By the time players go to the right teams, years of development are partially wasted.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I've seen Anderson compared to Jalen Rose ... and I think it's a great comparison. Not a HOF'er, imo, but at his peak, will have a very solid 4-5 year run with potentially multiple all-star appearances.

Like everyone else, his lack of athleticism will ultimately determine his success. If he's not athletic enough, for example, to be a consistent ballhandler, because he's being out-quicked, than he can't be your full time point guard.

His 3.1 turnovers per game was 57th in college basketball, but basically first for any player at a "real" program. The guy who was number one was from the Central Arkansas Bears for example.

This is his real issue. Not just that he isn't athletic, but how that lack of NBA level athleticism prevents him from utilizing his best attribute... his PG skills in a 6'8 body. If I'm an NBA executive, I'm running him in game like drills against super quick wing defenders as often as possible and seeing how he fares.

6. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Kyle Anderson won't amount to anything. He's too slow/not quick enough to play point guard in the Pros. And he isn't physical enough to compensate for that and take advantage of smaller players.

Yawn.

7. lionaire

lionaire Member

Jabari Parker has no Iggy in his game. And how can you say he's ok with not winning?