1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If I were Memphis and OKC..............

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jopatmc, Jun 18, 2009.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I would draft Rubio at 2 and Harden at 3. I think they will. I think Rubio is going at 2 to Memphis. They will either draft him, or trade the pick to someone who will draft him, or draft him and trade him, or simply keep him.

Why?

1. Sacramento is going to be willing to trade up to get him. If Memphis doesn't want him, they can at least squeeze a future first rounder out of Sacramento.......and they may be able to dump Jaric's contract on Sacramento for one of Sacramento's expirings as well.

If Sacramento is not willing to trade up, there are other teams that will trade up. There will likely be a team emerge that is willing to give Sacramento a slightly lower first rounder and some expirings in exchange for their #4 and Nocioni/Udrih (possibly Rockets). If Sacramento trades down, the team that trades for their pick could then offer Memphis the #4 along with another asset to get Rubio.

2. If Memphis trades down to #4, they are still likely going to get one of either Harden, Curry, Evans, Thabeet, or Hill, which could likely be one of the players they are after.

3. If they trade down to #4, there is a good chance another team will still want to trade up to #4 to nab Stephen Curry..........or Harden if he is still on the board (doubt it, I think 1-3 are Griffin, Rubio, Harden). I think Curry will be in play at 4 with teams wanting to move up and nab him. This could mean Thabeet is still on the board at 6.....if indeed Washington opts to take Hill at #5. So Memphis could wind up acquiring multiple future draft picks as well as more expiring contracts if they simply either draft Rubio or force trades up to get him.

4. If Memphis takes Rubio, OKC should take Harden. They may be able to trade down and pick up assets for him. Or they may just keep him and add him to Westbrook, Green, and Durant.

5. If perchance Memphis takes Harden (another possibility), OKC should draft Rubio and figure out what they want to do, whether to keep him or trade him.

Right now everybody is playing the waiting game. Sacramento obviously wants Rubio. But they are going to see if Memphis is going to actually draft him or be stupid and take somebody else. If Memphis and OKC are true NBA teams, then Rubio and Harden will be off the board before #4.

2. Xcellerator

Xcellerator Member

But Rubio doesn't want to go to Memphis nor OKC. :confused:

3. jopatmc

then if they think he is going to be trouble, they should trade their pick. Sacramento wants him at 4. So if somebody else wants him, they are going to have to step up. Memphis should draft him and make a team come up with a 4-6 pick and other assets to give them for Rubio.

4. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

When did Curry's stock rise so quick. he's been soaring in everyone's mocks all of a sudden.

5. JujuxG

JujuxG Member

people think that Lebron want to play with curry, so getting curry, can get you a bigger chance of signing lebron in 2010.

6. jopatmc

He's the best player on the board after Griffin, Rubio, and Harden.

7. Duffy Pratt

Duffy Pratt Member

They should draft Rubio and then trade him to the Lakers for, maybe, Adam Morrison.

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I really disagree, and I watched a lot of his college games. Quick long, man-to-man defenders give him trouble, even with the dozen or so picks that get set for him.

His genetics (Del Curry) don't show much overall quickness either. He could be a shorter, slightly more effective Adam Morrison. But I'm very bad at this prognostication game. :( ... CDR...

9. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

This draft blows in terms of talent, that's why Curry is moving up the charts.

This feels like the 2001 draft all over again.

10. basketballholic

Bump. 2009 draft looking pretty good right now.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Good call on Curry. Bad call on Rubio.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Pretty much.

And don't forget Harden.

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

Just wanna say that I knew all along Harden and Curry would be superstars and Rubio will be meh. I just internalized it in my head.

14. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Need to buy yall a drink

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

would be great if DM chimed in with a post in this thread now..

16. basketballholic

LOL.

Rubio will be one of the top 4 players in this draft at the conclusion of his career.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lol bumping a thread from your old banned user account.

18. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

LOL at Rubio being better than Curry. They are miles apart.

Curry is a top 3 starting PG, Rubio is a bottom 10 starting PG

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Well firstly, there's a BIG drop off after the top 3 (Curry, Harden, Griffin).

But saying Rubio will have a better career then every single one of the following players...

Teague
    Derozan
    Lawson
    Holiday
    Evens
    Green
    Carroll
    Gibson
    Jennings

Doubt it, I'd rank him near the bottom of that list as of today, and think he'd have very little chance of catching up to ever cracking the top 8 players in the draft.

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

He's arguably better than Jonny Flynn, I'll give you that.