1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patrick Beverley

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wfeebs, Mar 5, 2013.

1. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

Whats his potential? Only 24, but stuck at the backup position. Is he here for the long-term?

I love the kid's tenacity and hope he's part of this NEW AGE foundation. Also hope he's not some asset gone soon.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I kind of see him like a young Kyle Lowry, with a better jump shot and not quite as aggressive throwing himself into the defense to draw fouls. Big time energy player and nose for the ball. Its still too early to know anything, but I do feel he has starting PG potential.

3. nobie

nobie Member

hes very in your face, type player. Would like to see him get extra minutes actually.

4. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Lol we have this guy for 2 more years for 1.7 mil total unguaranteed. What a steal! He's becoming a really nice asset.

5. lookabove

lookabove Contributing Member

For time being, I hope AB is not in that rotations. I do expect Bev shooting number to decline, but current he has earn his playing time.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Darren Collinson potential, which is fine but not good to go against the PGs of today. I see him as a solid career bench player.

7. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

His potential? Bobby Jackson.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

He's been really really good. Another Morey gem.

9. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

A shorter Avery Bradley with a shot.

10. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nice comp.

A solid backup who can provide some defense and energy, knock down the open shots, and limit turnovers.

And Morey does deserve more kudos for this. Reliable backup PGs don't come this cheap -- see Steve Blake being paid $4m/year for the next couple of years, and Andre Miller is getting $5m a year. It's having players like this and Parsons that allow us to have the cap flexibility to try and get a superstar.

#10 NIKEstrad, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That's an intriguing comparison. Nice. :)

12. norcalhussla

norcalhussla Member

great backup. not a starter tho.

13. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

This is going to sound dumb to a lot of people but I believe this guys ceiling is Joe Dumars

14. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

of coz, just one game or whatever. he has used his instinct on the court since joining us. not much brain. i am not sure how he does if being handed over with the starting pg duty. one stretch in mavs' game, he was given the duty w/o any primary ball handler (lin or harden). our offense didn't look smooth as i wish, kinda messy. maybe he will get better.

15. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I never seen Bobby Jackson play. Does anybody have any highlights from him?

16. Nook

Nook Member

I don't think the praise he has received is because of 1 game.

He has played the best perimeter defense on the team, is shooting 43% from the 3 point line, 45% from the field and has a nearly 3/1 assist to turnover ratio.

However I agree with you that the sample size is small and coming off of the bench is not the same as running the offense. It is premature and too difficult to say what his ceiling is. His floor is a good 10-12th man that is a pesky defender.

The Rockets deserve a lot of credit for Beverley. He was off the NBA radar because he played out of control and was a poor shooter. His shooting has vastly improved in Russia and has continued in the NBA. Every once in awhile a terrible shooter (Michael Redd, Kyle Lowry, Jason Kidd) will develop a deadly 3 ball, and the question is whether Beverley keeps this up. If he can hit 40% from the 3 he will have a place in this league for a long time.

As a side note, seeing players like Lowry, Beverley, Redd become better 3 point shooters in a short period of time gives me hope for Lin and his 3 ball. I believe he will ultimately be a 37-40% 3 point shooter.

17. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Nope... Bobby never heard of Defense...

18. Drawkwa22

Drawkwa22 Member

but now AB is back? Where does Bev fit in?

19. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i agree that different roles may generate different results. as a backup, he can play in pesky defender mode and not worry too much about how to guide the offense, especially he has a primary ball handler with him. it is same as the 4th line of hockey. it's too ealier to say anything about him.

20. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

it is confusing me too. if one of our existing pgs gets injuried, we still have harden who is capable to handle the ball.