1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Houston Rockets Future Draft Pick List

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pugsly8422, Mar 16, 2012.

1. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Keep in mind you can go here, which was provided by Bima, in my last draft pick update, for this information. If you don't want to go through all of that trouble (/sarcasm), here it is:

This may be kind of hard to read, so scroll down for a summary.

Picks we own/that are owed to us:

-2012 first round draft pick from New York - T-Mac trade
    New York's own 2012 1st round pick to Houston (top 5 protected in 2012, top 5 protected in 2013, top 5 protected in 2014, and top 5 protected in the 2015 Draft). If Houston does not receive a 1st round pick from New York by the 2015 Draft, then New York will convey their own 2015 2nd round pick and 2016 2nd round pick to Houston. [Houston - New York - Sacramento, 2/18/2010]

-2012 first round draft pick from Dallas - Derek Fisher trade
    Dallas' own 2012 first round draft pick to Houston via the L.A. Lakers (top 20 protected in the 2012 draft, top 20 protected in 2013, top 20 protected in 2014, top 20 protected in 2015, top 20 protected in 2016, top 20 protected in 2017 and unprotected in the 2018 Draft). [Dallas - L.A. Lakers, 12/11/2011 and then Houston-L.A. Lakers 3/15/2012]

-2015 second round draft pick from L.A. Clippers - David Andersen trade to the Raptors (paying them to take him off our hands)
    The L.A. Clippers' own 2015 2nd round pick to Houston via Toronto (if pick is 51 - 55). If the L.A. Clippers' own 2015 2nd round pick is not among the 51st through 55th picks, then the L.A. Clippers' obligations to Houston shall be extinguished. [L.A. Clippers - Toronto, 1/7/2009 and then Houston - Toronto, 7/28/2010]

Picks we owe:

-2012 first round draft pick to New Jersey - T-Will trade
    Houston's own 2012 1st round pick to New Jersey (top 14 protected in 2012, top 14 protected in 2013, top 14 protected in 2014, top 14 protected in 2015 and top 14 protected in the 2016 Draft). If New Jersey does not receive a 1st round pick from Houston by the 2016 Draft, then Houston will convey their own 2017 2nd round pick and cash to New Jersey. [Houston - Los Angeles Lakers - New Jersey, 12/15/2010]

-2012 second round draft pick to Detroit - Chase Budinger trade
    Houston's own 2012 2nd round pick to Detroit (top 40 protected in 2012, top 35 protected in 2013, top 35 protected in 2014 and unprotected in the 2015 Draft). [Detroit - Houston, 6/25/2009]

-2013 second round draft pick to Atlanta - David Anderson trade (acquiring him)
    Houston's own second round draft pick to Atlanta in the "First Allowable Draft" (top 40 protected until the 2016 draft at which it will be unprotected in the 2016 draft). The First Allowable draft shall be the draft that occurs one year following the year in which Houston satisfies its existing obligation to convey a future second round draft pick to the Detroit Pistons from the trade involving Chase Budinger [Atlanta - Houston, 7/14/2009]

To break this all down:

2012 Draft
    + It looks like we'll be getting the Knicks 1st rouder since it is only top 5 protected.
    + Dallas first rounder, assuming they are one of the top 10 teams in the league.
    - Looking more and more like we'll be sending our 1st rounder to the Nets.
    - The Minnesota 2nd rounder to Portland, unless Minnesota gets into the top 5 in the league (lol) and lands a 2nd rounder after #55.
    - Our 2nd rounder to Detroit, unless we end up one of the 10 worst teams in the league.

2013 Draft
    + We should have our own first rounder back since we paid off our obligation to NJ.
    - Our 2nd rounder will probably go to Atlanta since we paid off our obligation to Detroit, assuming we're not one of 10 worst teams in the league.

2014 Draft
    + Our own 1st rounder
    + Our own 2nd rounder

+ Our own 1st rounder
    + Our own 2nd rounder
    + The Clippers 2nd rounder if they are between the 4-10 best teams

Obviously all of this will most likely change since Morey seems to love trading his assets, and we usually end up buying a 2nd round pick. I don't know how likely that is this year though, since we may have Llull and Donuts coming over. Not that I'm complaining, we usually end up on the better side of these little trades, and trading for a superstar isn't exactly the most realistic/likely scenario, but he continues to try.

Pugs

#1 pugsly8422, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
    10 people like this.
  2. gah

gah Member

Doesn't Dallas has to be top 9 in the league instead?

3. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Nope top ten, 20th pick would be the 11th best record.

Its worth noting that the Mavs right now are #9 in wins in the entire league.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Thanks for the info. I remember doing this for our draft picks many years ago, and then doing this exercise for RealGM to provide draft info for all the teams in the league. It's a lot of hard work. Not enough details get published. It's definitely good to share the info when you have it.

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks for doing this breakdown, pugsly. Very informative and helpful.

Threads like this one, Carl Herrera's <a href="http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=216831">outline on the Dallas pick protection</a> and aelliott's breakdown of <a href="http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=216919">why cap room is more important starting in 2013</a> need to be highlighted more here. I don't know if they should be stickied or what, but this is the kind of quality stuff the community is more known for.

6. Raj Da Dodge

Raj Da Dodge Member

Thanks for this! Really understand how the picks will work now for us in the next couple yrs!

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

For some reason, it makes more sense on Clutchfans. Strange.:confused:

8. valorita

valorita Member

i guarantee you it will change drastically even before the year ends

9. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

pugs, not to nitpick, but I don't think you need to list the 2nd rounder owed to Portland, since it's owed to us by Minnesota. Either list the Minnesota pick owed to us in the "owed picks" (not recommended) or just remove the Portland pick obligation, since it nets out with the Rockets neither receiving nor owing anything.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Thanks Pugs. Good stuff.

Its will actually be really nice to actually make the playoffs this year and get the NJ pick obligation out of the way so it free's up the Rockets ability to trade their 1st round pick in 2013, and 2015 if there was a megas trade out there where the Rockets had to come up with the best offer on the market.

Two top 5-10 protected picks would be like gold to a team looking to move a superstar player next February. I hate even thinking about bringing up this ALREADY but dont forget the Dwight saga will continue again next year when he surely becomes an unrestricted free agent.

11. pugsly8422

Good point, it doesn't involve us at all, so there's no point in including it. I've removed it. Appreciate your input, as usual.

Pugs

1 person likes this.
  12. cdastros

cdastros Member

What happened to the Memphis first rounder the Rockets got in the Battier trade?

13. cod

cod Member

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  14. pugsly8422

In case you didn't get cod's response....we traded him in the Donatas Montiejunas, aka "Donuts", draft day trade. It was:

Brad Miller, 23rd pick, 38th pick and the Memphis pick for Donatas and Flynn.

Pugs

1 person likes this.
  15. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

I wish we could miss the playoffs so we end up with another lottery pick.

Looking at the draft, you can easily get a guy like Quincy Miller, Austin Rivers or Leonard at #14.

16. faraza84

faraza84 Member

I totally agree, but this is getting pretty close, with phoenix breathing down our neck and lowry out for a while you may get your wish of 3 draft picks.
    btw you have a hilarous handle (name)

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't wish we would miss the playoffs. Keep in mind that unless you're willing to not make the playoffs until 2017, we're giving up that pick SOMETIME. I believe we also cannot trade the pick while we owe it conditionally to New Jersey, is that correct? Getting out from under the obligation will give us more flexibility in trades.

All of that said, I don't think it makes a huge difference either way. We're not a championship contender as currently constructed, and a bird in hand is worth two in the bush, I guess. Playoff appearances have other value, in attendance/TV ratings/attracting free agents. I think it's roughly equivalent to keeping our draft pick in this class.

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

If we miss the playoffs, would this be a fun pipe dream scenario?

Trade Scola + Martin + Dalembert to WAS for Lewis plus their unprotected 2nd seeded pick after the determine they're striking out on every single FA they pursue (nobody in their right mind wants to play in Washington)

#1, #10, #14, #21

Lowry/Llull
    Beal/Llull
    Parsons/Ross
    Davis/Patterson
    Motiejunas/Leonard

About a 1% chance of that happening, but it's fun to dream :)

19. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I have never understood why Morey made that NJ trade.

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think in theory Morey was setup to believe that if it didnt work out, he would have the expiring contracts of Thabeet, Terrence, Flynn, Dragic, & Hill to more than make up for the pick they were giving up.

So in theory, yes, he got a late 1st rounder to make up for the pick they will give up in the future with the Fisher buyout trade, and also aquired a somewhat "longterm" backup Center solution in Camby.

Every mistake that Morey has made has usually been low risk enough to be able to be made up in other moves to sort of keep his moves balanced out. I know the pick they might be giving up could be as low as 15th, and Dallas 1st rounder is more likely to be 20 to 25, but the way that Morey drafts I would assume the quality of player would be very, very similar in that draft range.