1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign Trevor Ariza to 4-year, $32 million deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 12, 2014.

Tags:
?

Do you like the signing of Trevor Ariza?

1. YES

610 vote(s)
    78.2%
  2. NO

170 vote(s)
    21.8%
  1. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rQUOTEr]HOUSTON (FOX 26) - Forward Trevor Ariza, who agreed to a four-year contract worth $32 million with the Rockets, was in Houston on Monday for his physical.

He is rejoining a Rockets team that he played for in 2009.

Ariza chose the Rockets over re-signing with the Washington Wizards, where he spent the past two seasons.

"That's what being a free agent is all about," Ariza said in an interview with FOX26 Sports. "You get the opportunity to choose where you want to go.

"It was tough to leave Washington, especially with the chemistry and our young back court. I enjoy Houston. That's why I came back."

After signing with Houston as a free agent in 2009, he played only one season with the Rockets before being sent to New Orleans as part of a deal that involved four teams.

Last season with the Washington Wizards Ariza averaged 14.4 points, a career-best 6.2 rebounds and 1.6 steals.

"I think I'm a lot more mature now," Ariza said. "I understand who I am as a player. I got a chance to grow up in Washington."

Ariza played with Rockets center Dwight Howard when the two were with the Orlando Magic from 2005-2007.

"This is my second time to play with Dwight, first time getting to play with (guard) James Harden," Ariza said.

"Looking forward to try and help this team win a championship."

Ariza is excited about playing for Rockets coach Kevin McHale.

"I'm a huge fan of Coach McHale," Ariza said. "I'm just grateful that I get the opportunity to play for a legendary player turned coach."
    While Ariza can score, he takes great pride in his defense.

"I'm one of those players that I take it personal when my player scores on me," Ariza said.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/26017795/trevor-ariza-i-think-im-a-lot-more-mature-now[/rQUOTEr]

2. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

It's really encouraging he chose us over Washington, which was doing pretty well. Shows commitment.

Countdown until people start explaining why Ariza's praise of McHale doesn't mean anything. . . .

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Love where Ariza is as a player. Knows his role.

Elite wing defender.

4. vator

vator Contributing Member

Knows his role. Doesn't fashion himself as an up and coming superstar like somebody else we know that wants to demand a larger role instead of playing his role.

1 person likes this.
  5. Karolik

Karolik Member

Ariza was a mess his last stint in houston, but he said he legitimately liked this city and wanted to stay here even when he was traded...

how many players can say that?

6. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Ariza will perform... better believe it.

He also won't say he's the best SF on the court.

And Rockets fans are going to love him whenever we add that 3rd star... because he knows his role.

7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I definitely appreciate that. I love my city so I definitely get a little offended when players don't like it, just a homer I guess.

The only thing I don't understand about people who dislike this signing is why do they continue to bring up his first stint in Houston. We all know that Houston was experimenting to see if he was a first/second option type player and since we weren't competing for a championship, they gave him the green light. Definitely was extremely annoying to watching bobble the ball that season, but this second stint is going to be totally different. His role is completely different and he has Harden and Howard who allow him to have easier shots.

I am really excited about this signing.

8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

So I was playing with some stats and discovered that Trevor Ariza is one of the most effective volume catch and shoot (3pointers) players in the league.

Of the 9 players that catch and shoot 3 point shots more than 4 times per game, only Kyle Korver, JR Smith and Joes Calderon have higher effective FG%. I imagine the Rockets are trying to implement a better post offense for Dwight, so having effective catch and shoot players will give him space because defenses won't be able to sag as much.

Kyle Lowry and Carmelo Anthony are pretty effective catch and shoot players as well, but don't have the volume of shots that Ariza has. Same story with Troy Daniels but if you give that guy minutes he'll be a name on that list next year. I wonder if this combination of stats is something Morey looked at in the offseason.

http://stats.nba.com/playerTracking...rowsPerPage=50&filters=FG3A*G*3**EFG_PCT*G*59

9. don grahamleone

Another stat note... Rajon Rondo is 2nd in the league in points created by assists per game. The Clippers score 24.5 per game with Chris Paul and the Celtics scored 23.0 per game with Rondo's assists.

http://stats.nba.com/playerTrackingPassing.html?pageNo=1&rowsPerPage=25&filters=PTS_CRT*G*20

Kendal Marshall is up there too... why couldn't Morey pry him away in the Lin trade? ;) (Lin only caused 10.1 ppg with his assists. If you are wondering why the number is so low... he's selfish.)

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

No, he isn't selfish. He just isn't very good.

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I've talked myself into this Ariza return. Really excited to have an actual perimeter defender for a change.

12. don grahamleone

I'm exactly the same way. Chandler's defense was getting to be a problem. Every team Dwight plays on should be solid on defense. He's about the perfect anchor with his rebounding and ability to cover so much ground.

Edit: I think Ariza will do for the Rockets what Kenneth Faried is doing for Team USA. Hustle makes a huge difference.

#1192 don grahamleone, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  13. rurban

rurban Member

Biggest problem right now is that Wikipedia only has Trevor's old Wizards foto, and we want him in a Rockets dress.
    Thus we need some good foto, with permission to be used on wikipedia. See

Does the author know the rights owner of this Trevor foto? Is it an official Rockets foto?
    Can someone please clarify and upload a good one to wikipedia? I'm sure the front office has a few good ones.

14. seeingred

seeingred Member

Been thinking about this a while - When Morey brought Ariza over the first time, he was looking for Kawhi Leonard/JImmy Butler before Kawhi Leonard/Jimmy Butler. Taking a chance on a defensive guy with a decent 3 pt shot and hoping he develops into a good 2-way player. It turned out his ball handling skills were just too bad to salvage but I wonder if Morey's experience with Ariza is what soured him on Leonard.

15. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

It's possible. I think what soured him on Leonard is he was not known for shooting 3's when he was in college. His hands were too big and there was a stereotype of guys with big hands can't shoot and it turns out those big hands are part of what makes Leonard so great.

11 other teams passed on him 13 times.

seeingred likes this.