1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Upgrading WiFi Network

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So... in conjunction with getting a new PC for the first time since more than 3 years ago, I am thinking about upgrading the wi-fi network at home.

Any recommendations for a router and adapters for fast and stable connection?

Currently, I have a Lynksys WRT310N, which is a 802.11n device purchased in 2008. The computers in the network are currently a desktop (Dell E521) with one of those USB external wifi 802.11n adapters (cheap one made by D-link), an Apple Macbook, and a Gateway Netbook, each with internal wifi adapters.

My main issue with the current setup is that the connection seems unstable. Even when things work OK when wired, the wireless connection shows "local only." Also, on the desktop PC, when I browse to certain pages (the Houston Chronicle's Rockets page, for one), the connection gets dropped, which can be fixed by me pulling out and re-pluggin the D-link adapter.

Anyhow, I am curious if any of you have the same issue, or have setup that you are happy with and would recommend. Thanks in advance.

2. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

I would recommend you go to DD-WRT and type in WRT310N and install the firmware. See if this will make your router better. If not look for a D-Link Xtreme N Gigabit Router DIR-655.

I'm using an old Linksys Wrt54GS with a DD-WRT firmware and it's been solid for years.

3. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

By the way. Check your router to see if it's version 1 or 2 that you carry before downloading and flashing.

4. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

I just purchased an ASUS WL-520gU, and it is rock solid. It's only 802.11g (not N), but the performance seems just fine, and best of all, it includes a built-in wireless print server via USB. Flash the router with the Tomato firmware, and the USB port will support wireless printing and NAS simultaneously. Just attach a USB hub. Not too shabby for $30.