1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Guillermo del Toro's Pacific Rim 2

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Not a done deal but considering the numbers and Guillermo's passion for this project (one of his childhood dreams), I think it's going to happen.

Link

‘Pacific Rim 2′ Still a Possibility; Original Outgrossed Superman, Batman and X-Men

Pacific Rim 2 might still happen, according to Legendary Pictures CEO Thomas Tull. In a new interview, the film’s producer pointed out despite a general malaise surrounding the film in the United States, it did incredibly well internationally and has been a bigger-than-expected hit on home video and with merchandise. Tull says talks with director Guillermo del Toro will happen soon to figure out the fate of the film.

Below, read Tull’s quote about Pacific Rim 2 which includes an incredible list of films the original outgrossed.

Tull spoke to Collider about Legendary’s other big monster movie, Godzilla, and was asked about Pacific Rim 2:

We love being in business with Guillermo and frankly that movie, if you look it up, did I think more business than the first X-Men, did more than Batman Begins, our first movie, did more than Superman Returns, The Fast and the Furious, Star Trek- so for a movie that was an original property that we made up it’s done really well. It did north of 400 million dollars globally and both the home video sales and the merchandise have way over-indexed, so it seems like fans really loved the world. So we’re going to sit down with Guillermo and as long as we think it’s authentic and there’s something to say, we’re certainly open to it.

I know what you’re thinking. “That can’t be right. There’s no way Pacific Rim outgrossed all those films.” Well, it’s true. Granted, it’s the newest of the bunch, which means ticket prices were higher. Plus it was in 3D and IMAX. But either way, on a worldwide scale, according to Box Office Mojo, those movies rank like this:

Pacific Rim – $411 Million
    Superman Returns – $391 Million
    Star Trek (2009) – $385 Million
    Batman Begins – $374 Million
    X-Men – $296 Million
    The Fast and the Furious – $207 Million

Every single one of those movies got sequels, and each sequel was a bigger hit than the original (Superman Returns didn’t, but I’m cheating and counting Man of Steel). In some cases, the grosses doubled, tripled or quadrupled the gross of the original film. Maybe Pacific Rim 2 can do something similar.

Guillermo del Toro is currently filming Crimson Peak which doesn’t come out until late 2015. So, best case scenario, Pacific Rim 2 wouldn’t start lensing until then. And we all know best case scenarios never happen in Hollywood. For fans, it’s just nice to know Pacific Rim 2 hasn’t been totally forgotten.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I liked the first but....where else can they go after the way the first ended? Are the monsters coming from outerspace now?

3. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I'm not surprised on most of those movies because that number doesn't account for inflation, (which means they're somewhat irrelevant) I am surprised it made more than Star Trek though. Must have been all the IMAX 3D tickets. (Don't get me wrong either, I'm a huge Guillermo Del Toro fan, and I liked Pacific Rim a good bit)

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

So excited just to hear this

I absolutely LOVED Pacific Rim. It's too bad the american audience seemed to jaded to appreciate it. I could see a half dozen of these movies and never get bored.

5. Convictedstupid

Loved the first one. Would see a 2nd one.

6. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I really liked the first one too. Saw it in the theater. It was on HBO on Saturday so I DVR'd it and watched it again last night. I'd be interested to see how they're able to continue it after how the first one ended.

7. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

saw the first one and thought it was decent the first time, then saw it a second time and realized how bad it was. not surprised at the grossing, b****es love special effects and 3D

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

This movie should've been on the making already. Hollywood always knows how to comeback when the story is finished.

9. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I was disappointed in the first. Maybe he'll make it better now.

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

Naaaace!

Maybe they'll consider the fan-made jaegers for the second one.

[​IMG]

vvv huge pic
    [​IMG]

11. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would like to see another but I hope they do a better job with the characters. I never really got invested in any of them in the original, but the effects and the giant fight scenes were outstanding. If they can fix the narrative and characters and maintain or ramp up the spectacle, I'm down.

12. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

That was my issue... the characters (specifically the main guy, and even Edris' character) were pretty typical and forgettable.

The special effects of course were off the chain.

Jontro likes this.
  13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Super advanced wormhole-jumping race that has been around for millions of years? They can get back to the earth.

Jontro likes this.
  14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

15. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I could see a sequel even with how the first ended. Something as simple as the counties are at war with their robots and then a bigger threat(perhaps from space as the above poster suggested) brings them together to fight with each other.

It can be a simple plot as long as they have better character development this time. If the movie can make us care about the characters then it's all gravy

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The first one was either the dumbest awesome movie ever made, or the most awesome dumb movie ever made.

17. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Very much looking forward to mechwarriors of anarchy 2

18. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

They should introduce Gundams this time around...

19. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

20. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

The first movie was way overhyped imo.