1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Glow in the Dark Roads in the Netherlands

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Northern Europe wins at everything except weather.

link

[​IMG]

One stretch of road in the Netherlands may make you feel like you're cruising through a video game. A new glow-in-the-dark pavement has replaced power-sucking streetlights for a 500m (.3mi) piece of the highway. The result is a Tron-like street that shines courtesy of solar-powered photo-luminescent powder incorporated into the road paint. This is just a proof of concept, but its creator, Studio Roosegaarde, hopes to use parks as a testing ground for new versions of the product.

Down the road, new iterations might even include informational markers -- like functional street art. For instance, in freezing temperatures the entire surface might light up with giant flakes to alert drivers (until they get buried by snow). There are also plans to incorporate wind-powered lights that shine only when cars are nearby, and ultimately a special lane where electric cars could charge up while they drive. As you might imagine, the road will have to pass several government safety and durability tests before we can just throw out our streetlights but the glow-in-the-dark road, however, paves the way for the next generation of highways. Hopefully, future versions also support our flying cars -- those are coming soon, right?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IBTx87xiscs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

They pipe in Daft Punk music through speakers disguised as brilliant glowing rocks along the way.

1 person likes this.
  3. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

They need to do this here. Some of the rural roads in america are absolutely dangerous at night

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

Can they make the roads edible?

5. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

It makes me want to straddle the lanes and chant "wakka wakka wakka" as I drive down the highway.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

Nice try Clu... but you can't fool us.

[​IMG]

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Would not be wise after a visit to a coffee house.

8. conquistador#11

How is it the euros are always light years ahead of us. First they introduce us to hot blonds now this!

9. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

10. Nero

Nero Member

The biggest problem is the roads become virtually invisible when it rains at night. The roads become like mirrors, and driving on wet roads at night is just a ridiculously stressful experience.

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Pshhh... :rolleyes: why would they make them edible...?!?!?! You'd be eating while driving and we all know that's a no-n... WAIT A MINUTE... WAIT A MINUTE... that's a GREAT IDEA!!! :eek:

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think someone started 420 early.

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cool idea but I really hope they don't take this too far as street art. Distracted driving is already a big problem and the last thing I want is things like glowing art in the pavement.

14. conquistador#11

jim crane's eyes just got bigger:eek:
    advertising with glow in the dark!

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

There is nothing that I want to do more at this very moment than drive on that road at night with the TRON soundtrack playing

16. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Only a matter of time before some sick b*stard paints lines off into a tree with glow in the dark spray paint.

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

[​IMG]

18. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I'll second that. Some of the roads out here where I'm at (just on the Ill. side of STL) are as dark as dark gets at night. No houses, no street lights, no real sign of civilization for miles at a time. Just woods and fields of corn and soybean. There are no stripes in the lanes and the width of the supposed two-lane highway is about the size of 1.5 lanes on a normal highway. Deer are all over the place, particularly in the fall, and if one decides to jump out, it's so dark on the roads that you wouldn't stand a chance of doing anything to get out of the way.

19. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Could you imagine riding in the passenger seat while having taken LSD? That's some awesome stuff right there.

20. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/antonyevans/glowing-plants-natural-lighting-with-no-electricit/widget/video.html" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"> </iframe>