1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Experience of a lifetime - Behind the Rockets Bench!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by H-TOWNSFINEST, Apr 14, 2014.

1. H-TOWNSFINEST

H-TOWNSFINEST Member

I thought I would share one of the greatest days of my life with you guys.

I started off at the House of Blues drinking hurricanes, when none other than Calvin Murphy walks in. I said "Hey whats up Calvin!", he said, "Hey buddy how you doing?" and shook my hand. I didn't want to ask for a picture because he was there with his family. -- I was also surprised he was dressed down in a simple brown suede suit lol.

Next, I walk to the Toyota Center get down to my seats. This is where my Rockets fan hood took over. Bill Worrell walked by me and I shook his hand with a little small talk.

Then, Matt Bullard comes up and sits in front of me. I ask, "Who won the 3pt pregame competition between you and Dwight?". He laughed and said "Who do you think?" Then he says "D-Mo wanted in on it." I reply, "Please God no" and he starts laughing.

[​IMG]

Next Keith Jones comes to the bench and I shake his hand and tell him he's done a hell of a job with Bev. He says "Nah, that was all Pat."

Then the players come out and start throwing little balls to kids. He rolls one to my niece which of course hits the chair in front of me. He tries again. Same result. Then Keith Jones picks it up and hands it to her.

The only interaction I got from players was Parsons making eyes at my mom. This is when ***** hit the fan. :mad: Just kidding it was all good fun. Other than that I got a head nod from Isaiah Canaan.

Here is a video from a timeout where you can't hear what McHale is saying but it was basically "Guys we got to get all the rebounds and play our asses off." Also I apologize for TinyPic's godawful upload of my videos.

[​IMG]

Here's another video of the pelicans warming up and me telling the Pelicans they're gonna lose.

[​IMG]

For some reason the selfie I took behind Howard is read-only and won't let me rotate. But here it is:

[​IMG]

Here is another video during a timeout where you can actually here McHale. Also, you can see my mother, me and my brother and niece all having a blast.:grin:

[​IMG]

Finally if you watch this highlight video, courtesy of Clutch via NBA.com you can see me behind the bench standing up and cheering after Beverley got a the bounce off a three. That is me with the blue H-town shirt on jumping up and down behind Keith Jones and J.B. Bickerstaff..

[​IMG]

We had an amazing comeback, and I was ecstatic to be a part of the game. I wish we could have more true fans get the good seats rather than the corporate types who could care less.

This was by far one of the best days of my life and probably a once in a lifetime experience. Thought I would share it with my Clutchfans fam.

GO ROCKETS!!!!! :grin:

12 people like this.
  2. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Yooooo... that's me and my niece standing off to the far right side! I used my season ticket holder rewards for the high-fiving-the-starters experience. This is hilarious. LOL.

1 person likes this.
  3. bmd

bmd Member

You had a perfect view of his clipboard.

A team could plant a guy to sit where you were sitting and live-stream to the internet and a guy behind the opposing team's bench could tell the coach what the Rockets' play was going to be as he's watching it in real time.

4. bmd

bmd Member

I was there too.. you can spot me checking my phone on the top of the goal behind the backboard.

[​IMG]

9 people like this.
  5. liljojo

liljojo Member

Rockets don't run plays, remember?

6. TheJet

TheJet Member

And you were playing on your phone?!?! Shame! :grin:

Looks like everyone had a great time, very cool.

7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I'm surprised you were able to get in the House of Blues with Calvin's family there.

8. H-TOWNSFINEST

H-TOWNSFINEST Member

I talked with the manager and he said Calvin's in there all the time. Calvin is a really cool guy. You can tell he loves his fans.

9. Nanisteru

Nanisteru Rookie

Great read. Sounds like an awesome experience!

Thanks for sharing.

10. H-TOWNSFINEST

H-TOWNSFINEST Member

LOL. My friends and I were talking about this after the game. It is definitely possible.

11. H-TOWNSFINEST

H-TOWNSFINEST Member

EDIT: Here is the video of me jumping up and down after Beverley got the bounce in three. @ the 1:44 mark.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yLC60fXw83g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Nice! Back in 06-07 my roommate's now wife's dad owned a company with season tickets in that exact spot. I was able to go to three games: Detroit, Dallas, and Utah. Nothing like it. Twice the rockets bench was in front of us and once it was switched for some reason and the rockets sat on the other side.

What I remember most is that during timeouts JVG rarely said a word. He'd squat to one knee holding his clipboard and not say a word nor write anything. Just kinda stared downward or off into space. The team gathered around like there was coaching going on, but they would also just stand and stare off or talk to each other. I always thought that was kind of wierd. That would happen like 75% of the time.

13. arjun

arjun Member

glad you had a great time. how did you get those tickets? how much were they?

14. H-TOWNSFINEST

H-TOWNSFINEST Member

Got them through someone I know who works for a certain oil and gas company. For free!! :p

15. yummyhawtsauce

cool story. lol sounded like a little boy telling story, with big photos and everything :grin:

16. H-TOWNSFINEST

H-TOWNSFINEST Member

Like my Dad said. "Is this really the only thing the coach does during the game?" lol.

One of the best things ever was screaming at the refs for a bad call and seeing McHale jump up and hobble over to mid-court to give the ref a piece of his mind.

17. H-TOWNSFINEST

H-TOWNSFINEST Member

LOL I felt like a little boy! After all of these years of being a die hard fan, watching mediocre teams. My dream finally came true. To be there with a championship caliber team who already clinched the playoffs.

This day will be forever embedded in my memory.

A big thanks to all you Clutchfans for sharing your own personal experiences over the years. This is by far the best fan site in the world and I am glad to be a part of it.

18. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I meant that Calvin has an extremely large family. ;)

19. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Chandler Parsons could have been your step daddy man! I'm glad you enjoyed and represented real fans.

20. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

I see you rocking the 6" pumps, you go girl!