1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't see the alumni base or student body being fine with that. By brand name alone, USC would be the biggest program to play in Austin in many years. Is selling out a 100,000+ seat stadium every week so disappointing that we've got to play a game in Mexico City?

Yes, the NCAA is as much of a commercial enterprise as the NFL. But, the more the "amateurism" façade keeps crumbling, the more ideas like this become see-through.

2. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I think Patterson cleared this up in a press conference recently, stating that it wouldn't change the home&home schedule with USC.

I may be shortsighted, but I'm a little hard-pressed to see what a global brand really does for UT athletics. Seems like there is plenty to shore up domestically before we even start thinking about global brands. Would it be awesome to have a game in Mexico City? Would I go? Yes and yes, but I don't really know how much it does for UT athletics besides take away revenue generated from a home game.

3. Major

Major Member

I agree. The only home games I'd be OK with moving are the scrub games like UT vs. North Texas or NMSU, but I don't see why on earth those schools would do it - they couldn't care less about exposure in Mexico City. I'd think you'd have to basically just pay them a lot of money to do it.

4. vj23k

Well, I think the Mexico City game would still be vs. USC, so we would boot one of the less-than-marquee home games in favor of the neutral site game in Mexico City. I'm guessing USC's AD is also chasing a global brand, so both schools would be equally incentivized to play the game for whatever weird reason.

5. Major

Major Member

Oh OK - so the idea is that they'd add a 3rd USC game? I'd be OK with a 3rd USC game in Mexico City at the expense of playing North Texas at home.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Becuase times have changed - a game against Notre Dame or USC whatever positions the school beyond the region, rather than the narrow footprint of the Big12. A game vs. Texas A&M, not quite so much.

The long term aim is that games against Iowa state go away in a post-Big12 universe which is coming.

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

The argument could be made, though, that they need to re-position themselves in Texas. It's already the largest brand in college sports. How long does that last with 8-5 seasons and continuing to lose more and more in-state recruits to A&M, Baylor, etc.?

8. Major

Major Member

I'll be shocked if a true post-NCAA world exists within the next 10-15 years.

9. SamFisher

I'd be shocked if it didn't - things collapse with surprising speed these days.

10. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

When can we get some basketball games with UCONN? They need to be #11 in the Big 12, with UCF as #12.

11. Major

Major Member

I agree with that part - but I think this is one of those ideas that sounds good in theory because people are just looking at the negatives of the NCAA, but not so much in practice. Once anyone actually starts working on the details of how this would work, I think they will realize (a) there is very little agreement on that topic and (b) how much they benefit from the NCAA/conference structure.

12. SamFisher

I don't think schools will even have a choice - IMO the spectre of massive antitrust liablity that's been looking more and more likely will eventually cause the NCAA cartel to break like a dam.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ash granted medical redshirt; Texas QB battle builds

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Texas QB David Ash has a fracture in his left foot and will miss the rest of spring practice. He's expected to be back by fall camp.</p>&mdash; Longhorn Network (@LonghornNetwork) <a href="https://twitter.com/LonghornNetwork/statuses/454741447875776512">April 11, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>With David Ash out, your Texas spring game QBs: Tyrone Swoopes, walk-on Trey Holtz, former WR/TE Miles Onyegbule.</p>&mdash; Max Olson (@max_olson) <a href="https://twitter.com/max_olson/statuses/454742605050302464">April 11, 2014</a></blockquote>

14. duwende

duwende Member

Trey Holtz? You guys know his dad is Skip Holtz and grandpa is Lou Holtz...

15. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Just wow. This is just too funny in a sick way. #strong

16. vj23k

Anyone planning on going to the spring game? Should be some terrible offense, but I'm considering going since I've never been and I'm excited about Texas football for the first time in a while.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Vince Young signs autographs Sat 10-11:30am at Team Shop on west side of stadium. Tix on sale now at both stadium team shop locations.</p>&mdash; Texas Longhorns (@TexasSports) <a href="https://twitter.com/TexasSports/statuses/456869747737366528">April 17, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-conversation="none" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/darrenrovell">@darrenrovell</a> $59 to the public “<a href="https://twitter.com/TexasSports">@TexasSports</a>: Vince Young signs autographs Sat 10-11:30am at Team Shop on west side of stadium.”</p>&mdash; Scott Gershenbaum (@scottgersh) <a href="https://twitter.com/scottgersh/statuses/456956586700058624">April 18, 2014</a></blockquote>

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cBCfJRnMbMs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I think Swoopes wins the job over Ash. If he can continue to improve his accuracy, he will be very dangerous.

20. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member