1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Guillermo del Toro's Pacific Rim 2

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Mac#5

Mac#5 Member

I actually thought of this when watching the movie :grin:

2. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

People are butthurt because Pacific Rim wasn't made for them. As in, it was made for international audiences, people in China and Japan and Australia and Hong Kong and Russia etc etc.

Compare this to Transformers which is about as Fox News as you can get. "'MERICA! F--- YEAH. THEY DERKED ERR JERBS LESS GO F--- EM UP". It's subtle, I know. I just don't feel like explaining to people why their dislike for Pacific Rim is rooted in deep-seated jingoistic tendencies that render their opinions completely biased. If you are a girl, then none of this criticism applies to you.

3. Relentless

Relentless Member

I fell asleep watching Pacific Rim just earlier.

Not a good movie.

4. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

5. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

First one was a letdown but I would watch a sequel when it comes to dvd.

6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Or maybe the movie had no characters worth rooting for and some r****ded **** during fight scenes like the bat monster flying ten miles above earth in six wing flaps.

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

If you liked "Pacific Rim", you should definitely watch "The Human Centipede".

8. dookiester

dookiester Member

different type of rim.

2 people like this.
  9. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

Aaaaargggh...that would be EPIC!:grin:

10. ashiin

ashiin Member

Loved the first and would definitely watch the second.

Plus the first one was set in HK WOOT.

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

They should include megazord.

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

“Pacific Rim 2” Will Storm Into Theaters On April 7, 2017

Director Guillermo del Toro also announced he is developing an animated series set in the Pacific Rim world. “The characters I love will return … but we are taking them into a fresh territory,” he told BuzzFeed.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HndBiSyOrK4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Director Guillermo del Toro announced on Thursday that Legendary Pictures has committed to making a sequel to the 2013 international hit Pacific Rim, and the company has scheduled to release the film on April 7, 2017. Del Toro also announced that an animated series set in the Pacific Rim world will be released at an undetermined time before Pacific Rim 2 is released (and distributed in the U.S. by Universal Pictures).
    In early June, del Toro told BuzzFeed that he was working on a script for the sequel with screenwriter Zak Penn (X-Men: The Last Stand), and in his announcement today, del Toro said original screenwriter Travis Beacham would also be contributing to the expansion of the Pacific Rim franchise.

“The characters I love will return,” del Toro told BuzzFeed in an exclusive new statement. “Raleigh, Mako, Newt, Gottlieb and who knows, maybe even Hannibal Chau – but we are taking them into a fresh territory that will display amazing sights and battles. The first film set the stage and now we’re ready to have a blast.” (The film’s original actors, including Charlie Hunnam, Rinko Kikuchi, Charlie Day, and Burn Gorman, are expected to return, but official deals are not yet complete.)

Del Toro certainly has some time to get the new movie to theaters, given that Pacific Rim 2 is slated for release almost four years from the release of the first film. (Lately, studios have been planting flags in major release dates as far out as 2018, and as Captain America: The Winter Soldier proved this year, the first weekend in April is as viable a release date for a major franchise film as anything in the summer.)

Meanwhile, his plate remains quite full: He’s currently in post-production on his horror film Crimson Peak, also bankrolled by Legendary Pictures, and he’s executive producing FX’s upcoming horror series The Strain, which is based on the novel trilogy he wrote with Chuck Hogan. But Pacific Rim is by leaps and bounds his biggest financial success, and he made no secret that he found making it to be one of the most creatively satisfying experiences of his career.

With total global grosses of $411 million, however, Pacific Rim did not pull in quite the same franchise-launching blockbuster box office of movies like Man of Steel ($668 million) or The Hunger Games ($691 million). But Legendary’s commitment to continuing the franchise is one of the biggest indications yet of just how important the international marketplace has become to Hollywood. Thanks in no small part to its international cast and locales, Pacific Rim pulled in a whopping 75% of its worldwide gross from foreign audiences — it made a very modest $101.8 million gross in the U.S., versus $111.9 million in China. (Sales of high-end merchandise through companies like Sideshow Collectables and NECA also continue to be robust.)

Legendary is clearly bullish that it can expand the film’s rabid fan-base for the subsequent sequel — and certainly Legendary’s recent reboot of Godzilla, which has nearly doubled Pacific Rim’s U.S. grosses, proves that American audiences are still keen on watching rampaging giant monsters on the big screen.

13. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Nice. Despite some of the flaws with the story and acting, Pacific Rim was one hell of a ride. Would rather see that in the theaters than a lot of the reboots and countless sequels to tired properties.

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

April 2017 is a long ass time. Will people want to see it by then? I assume there will be more kick ass movies made between now and then.

There will need to be many nekkid hot chicks in the next one.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Liked Pacific Rim even with the terrible plot and characters.

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

del Toro's films are somewhat dull and cliched.

17. Pete the Cheat

as someone who loves B-movie schlock...I can't wait for this to come out

18. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Would still really love a Robotech movie before I die though....

cheke64 likes this.
  19. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

So boring, so predictable. But, the masses will flock because it looks pretty on their tv screens.

20. Pete the Cheat

wait...do I count as sheeple if I wait for it to come out on HBOGO? I am so confused