1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Offseason Transaction Proverbs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crossover, Apr 25, 2003.

1. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

Yao opens his fortune cookies and...

Change is good

Translation: Rockets better make some moves this offseason... and thinking about dishing more dimes each game wouldn't hurt.

Man might be high on pot in his own bathroom, but no king on throne in his own court

Translation: Clean up the players or ship them out. They're supposed to be professional athletes and don't need any more extraneous distractions.

Don't pay the bling, if man you bring, does not get ring

Translation: Hello? Salary cap? Don't trade for overpaid players that only make Houston a playoff team and not a championship contender. Forget Allan Houston, Ray Allen and the like.

It is not the size of the dog in the fight, it is the size of the fight in the dog

Translation: Where are those players with some heart and the drive to win and improve. Donyell Marshall. Jermaine O'Neal... some people you could learn from Griffin.

Small men come and go, influencing nothing as they pass. One true big man will have worth now and have worth later, rising above the class,

Translation: Big players don't just influence the game more, they're simply worth more. There's always more 6'4 or under players coming out of college with decent talent and skills compared to big men. Law of supply. If we're going to invest money, invest it into a good PF which we can at least market later if things don't work out. Case in point: Cato vs. Moochie.

Zen sucks, Tao rules

Translation: Lakers suck. Yao rules.

Wise men turn water into wine

Translation: More basketball IQ please. Not just talent any more. Get a smart players, get a real offense, get a real strategy and true method to our game. Get veterans if needed...

Don't buy the wagon which spoke has already broke

Translation: ... unless they're already useless or injury prone...

Old rice makes a poor meal

Translation: ... like Glen Rice

One man's trash is another man's treasure

Translation: Bobby Jackson. Marko Jaric. Quentin Richardson. Stromile Swift. Jamal Crawford. Jon Barry. Erick Strickland. Adonal Foyle. Underpaid (arguably) on teams that have superfluous talent at their positions. Grab em before someone else does.

A penny saved is a penny earned

Translation: When will this franchise start acting like a business? We need to stop spending money inefficiently with poor contracts that tie up future negotiations. Who knows what we could have had this year without Moochie, Rice, Cato, MoT etc eating up all of our leverage.

Eye on fame, hand on fortune, mind in tactics, heart in game... a champion is born

go rockets offseason 2003 :D

2. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I hate fortune cookies, and the fact that all chinese restaurants hand them out when not a single restaurant in China actually does this. The worst was when my friend trying to tell me that's how they transfer messages in ancient China during war (he's not chinese, I am just to give you an idea of the conversation).

P.S. I he turns out to be right, then I take back everything I've said and will go and read some random Chinese trivia. Plz offer proof thx :D :D :D