1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marcus Camby?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by milkoholic17, Dec 29, 2010.

1. milkoholic17

milkoholic17 Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-101229/daily-dime

Daily Dime #7

One name you're likely to hear on the trade market is that of Portland Trail Blazers center Marcus Camby. In fact, last week a rumor surfaced about Camby and teammate Andre Miller going to the Charlotte Bobcats for D.J. Augustin and Gerald Wallace.

Camby wasn't happy about the rumor and would not take kindly to being traded to Charlotte or any other non-contending team, according to a person close to him. The 36-year-old Camby would even consider retirement if he's traded to a mediocre or rebuilding team, the source said.

"If he was traded to Charlotte, he would think about retiring,'' the source said. "He's made plenty of money. He'd rather play, but he's at the point in his career where he doesn't want to get bounced around from team to team. If he's traded, it would have to be to a contender.''

Even going to an elite team does not overly appeal to Camby, who is in his 15th season. His ultimate desire is to remain in Portland. After signing a two-year, $21 million extension with the Blazers last spring, Camby moved his family to Portland and has his two young daughters enrolled in school. One team Camby wouldn't mind going to is Houston, where he lives in the offseason.

With productive big men at a premium, several clubs are interested in Camby's services. He's still averaging 11 rebounds and 1.8 blocks a game, which would provide a huge boost to any contender. While acquiring Camby is probably a long shot, Orlando is one team I'm told has interest.

2. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

No! I'd better not be the only naysayer. This should be a resounding 'no'.

3. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

If thats all Jordan gets for Wallace is a soon to be retired center and 36 year old point guard? Then kudos to him on not getting much again for his franchise.

4. RX2012

RX2012 Member

nah, he's really old for one...and you dont know how bad his current injury is...plus it seems like our offense would be in the way

5. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Honestly I would love Camby. It seems like we want to compete and we reallly need a big guy. He would be a good veteran to add.

Maybe we could take
    Camby+Miller for Yaos contract+Clippers 2nd rounder+Chase Budinger
    and then get rid of Miller to a 3rd team.

We just really, really need an interior defensive presence....

6. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

It would really dumb for the Rockets not to look into what it would cost to acquire him. Despite his old age, he's still a serviceable center that would pay dividends defensively for us.

For example, would you consider dealing Jeffries/Hill for Camby? This would make us a better team this year and next, though at the cost of an asset in Jordan Hill.

Is the added bonus of being a stronger playoff team worth letting Hill go? We have Patrick Patterson ready to step into that role should Camby get injured.

7. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

haven't really seen him play much, but if he can have a Deke's kind of impact, I would like to add him

8. QPower

QPower Member

LOL to anybody who wouldn't want Camby.

He'd instantly change our defensive culture similar to how Chandler did with the Mavs.

He's a solid 10/10/2 guy who is an excellent weakside shotblocker. He'd fit perfectly next to a guy like Scola.

9. QPower

QPower Member

LOL, the funny thing is even if we do acquire a guy like Camby, Adelman would still somehow start Hayes infront of him due to "loyalty". :rolleyes:

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, Camby woud retire if traded to a crap team.

If I recall correctly, while you don't have to pay a retired player, his money counts against your cap number (for at least a year). So, I wonder if Rockets can use him for this season, then trade him to a cheap crap team like the Kings in exchange for matching contracts and something of value (picks, young player, etc). Having a retired Camby on their payroll would enable a team to have a cap figure above league mandated minimum but actually pay less in salaries, no?

11. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

I would do it at the right price. Anyone remember Mutumbo? The guy played till he was almost in his mid-40s and was still productive as a backup that could step in when Yao got injured.

Right now he would probably be the starter, but Hayes is the starter right now and is only playing 20 minutes a game. I think if he could be had for a something small (expirings and maybe a pick or prospect), he'd be the perfect guy to fill in for 20-25 a game and maybe teach Hill a thing or two about playing defense.

The only problem is, I don't know why Portland does this. The trade seems to involve Charlotte, perhaps we join in as a 3rd team (although at that point you might rather have Wallace).

12. QPower

QPower Member

The report said that Camby would instantly retire if he were traded to a crap team like Charlotte or even some contenders.

Houston was the only destination mentioned that he would commit to because of his close proximity to his family.

He would be an excellent addition to the team and a consistent threat down low.

13. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

wat

I agree with the rest of your post though

14. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

Exactly.

And I've watched the games really closely on the defensive end. We aren't getting consistently beat off the dribble, we aren't missing rotations, we aren't being lazy. If someone gets into the paint, Scola or Hayes are right there to prevent the layup, but because they both can't block shots said player just shoots over them and gets the teardrop to go in every single time. Replace Hayes with Camby and that's far less likely to happen.

15. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Get er done Morey!

16. bj2flyy

bj2flyy Member

He lives in Houston in the offseason come on down.trade for bud and jefries.
    IMO

17. Ketchup&Mustard

I'm tired of paying too much for injury prone big men. Anybody?

18. Felece

Felece Member

Do you think if we got someone the caliber of say Gerald Wallace instead of T-Will he would still rot on the bench behind Budinger? Camby(As of Last season) is that to Hayes.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Nah, I haven't learned my lesson yet. Besides... it can't get any worse. Just do it.

20. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

No! we should bring back Mumtumbo