1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Deron Williams or Goran Dragic

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Apr 3, 2012.

?

Would you prefer Deron at the max or keeping Dragic+Lee+Camby if posible

1. "D-Will."

87 vote(s)
    46.8%
  2. Dragic and Co.

75 vote(s)
    40.3%
  3. They both great dreams.

24 vote(s)
    12.9%
  1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Seems strange to be comparing a guy who has been a star for years to a guy who is an inconsistent bench player until a month or so ago (remember when the Rockets used to blow lead after lead whenever Lowry had to sit early in the season?). However, I think it is a legitimate question now, given that the Rockets will likely have to choose between clearing cap room to chase Deron Williams and keeping their own guys, the best of among whom is Goran Dragic.

As explained in Bimathug's salary cap update, getting the cap room for a max player will most likely require the Rockets to let go of several of their own upcoming FAs (Dragic, Lee and Camby) and waiving Dalembert's partically guaranteed contract. (See http://rockets.clutchfans.net/2513/houston-rockets-salary-cap-update-2/). Deron Williams, as far as I know, is really the only unrestricted FA worth the max this offseason.

Among the upcoming FA Rockets, Dragic, if he keeps up his current level of play, will likely command a hefty enough salary that it's impossible cap-wise to keep him and have max level cap room. Morever, even if you can do it cap-wise (by, perhaps trading Kevin Martin or using the amnesty on his contract), it would not be practical to have both Deron Williams and Dragic making big money long term at the PG spot-- especially when Lowry is already here.

Of course, the preliminary question is whether either one of Dragic or Williasm would even sign with Houston. However, assuming that you have the option of either (a) signing Deron to the max, but letting Dragic (along with other Rockets FAs) go, or (b) keeping Dragic and other Rockets FAs, what would you do?

In either of these scenarios, Lowry can either be kept (the team can play a 2 PG lineup since there's the strength and size to match up) or traded, so that's not really an issue.

To me, it seems a close call. Sentimentally, I want to get our own guys back, especially if they play well for the remainder of the season. I also have some doubts about Deron Williams since "D-Will" never quite elevated the Nets level of play. On the other hand, Deron Williams has a clear advantage in terms of explosiveness and the ability to score off isos, which the current roster really lacks-- sure the team is pretty good offensively, but they rely on ball/player movement and don't have the individual talent to just blow by guys.

I know the Rockets has wanted Williams, but I wonder if circumstances have changed. Lowry is probably already playing just one level below where Williams is and Dragic looks to be where Lowry is, too. Also, the whole "bring Deron and get better chance at Dwight" thing hasn't quite worked out. So maybe we are better off keeping the guys we have for the moment and try and chase some other disgruntled star?

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Bring on Deron to get a better chance at Shelden Williams.

1 person likes this.
  3. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

If Deron wants to come here, you sign him.

Working out the roster is the easy part. Getting superstars is not.

4. H-TOWNSFINEST

H-TOWNSFINEST Member

SheWill is the missing piece! LOL get 'er done Morey.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Which means you also bring in Candace Parker!

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

Well, if D-Will said, "Hey guyz, I wants to play in H-Town!" you would be stupid not to sign him to a max contract. He is much more proven than Dragic or KLow. He's an all-star level PG for certain, the other two guys just might be.

But, I wouldn't waste a bunch of time and effort chasing after him when he probably won't come here.

7. Carl Herrera

SheWill is a great and appropriate nickname.

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Also Carl you're wrong that the Rockets can't have max level cap room if they sign Dragic. His cap hold is only $4M. We can go over the cap by agreeing in principle to a contract with him, signing whatever max free agent we want, then finalizing Dragic's new deal after (taking us well above the cap)

9. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Gotta go and get D-will. He will put people in seats more than Gogi and Lee. Since this is a pipedream, lets trade Lowry, Ppat, Bud, and NY pick for Harden and Ibaka as well. :)

10. Carl Herrera

The issue is that the only "max level free agent" available is Deron Williams and I doubt you pay both Williams and Dragic. There are a few restricted guys out there but if you are a max-level guy and restricted, your team is sure to match all offers.

Here's my question: Can Dragic ever reach the Nash or Ginobili level of play and stay there consistently?

11. Mariachi ROCKET

Pipe Dream, what are you smoking???

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think he can, dunno if he will. We already know D-Will is at that level.

13. da_juice

da_juice Member

D-Will. He's a marquee name to attract others, and he'd be scary on a competent team.

14. Carl Herrera

Is D-Will at that level, though? It's kind of hard to tell now with him most likely loafing in NJ.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Goran.

Then trade everyone else, but Lee and Parsons, for:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Karolik

Karolik Member

Goran has a MUCH higher chance of signing in Houston than the chances of Deron signing in Houston period. But on the very very very slim chance that Deron does want to sign here then Deron all the way.

17. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Good luck with that.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Deron Williams will not make this any better than it already is. Can't do anything for us that isn't already being done. If Deron was all that then NJ would at least be in the playoff hunt now.

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Who is he going to attract?? All the big names are all signed up for the next few years or so.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If Dragic winds up with a hefty contract then Williams easily. What I like about Lowry is that he has a small contract you can easily build around, but even then, I'd still take Williams and his max money. But that's the thing that makes you hesitate -- Lowry is cheap. Dragic wont be cheap.