1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Self Serving Half Marathon Post

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bobrek, Oct 25, 2014.

Tags:
  1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Ran my third half marathon today in near perfect weather, especially for St. Paul, MN. in late October.

My stretch goal was 1:59:59, but I finished in 2:00:24 which was still 5 minutes faster than my personal best. Ran the last 4 miles in 34:20 and the last 2 in 16:20.

1 person likes this.
  2. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Congrats man, awesome!!

Running is a wonderful hobby. Achilles tendonitis has kept me on the sidelines lately, but I still love it.

3. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

Good job on the 13.1!!

How long did you train?

4. bobrek

I've been running regularly since the beginning of 2013. I ran 1225 miles last year and am on a pace close to that this year. I ran this same race (around 25 degrees) as my first half last year and then did another in the middle of March (17 degrees, around 8 with wind chill). The weather today was in the 50s for the two hours with blue skies and a slight breeze.

I put in about 25 miles or so a week, usually 6 miles at a time. When I don't feel like running 6, I'll jog a mile or two and then do a couple of miles of the High Impact Interval. I sprint for a bit, then walk for a bit - either a minute or two for each or I'll run/walk for the length of a song.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Very impressive. Congratulations!

6. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

That's really cool!

7. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Nice job:grin:.

I started running a year ago. Wasn't taking care of myself after divorce/wife taking daughter. If I run I find I feel much better.

Under 2:00 next time!

8. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

congratulations! What's the process of recovery after for running a half?

9. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

Congrats. . Are you running Chevron Houston? I run with Houston fit and we did 13 miles today. If you're ever looking for a group run Houston fit and Kenyan way are good. My group in Houston fit runs about the same time as your half. Last week we did 14 miles in 1 hour 59 mins. Today the 13th mile was a 7:15. We always run a negative split.

10. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

Congrats! Use to run 6 miles a day but now just run 30 min 3x a week. There isn't much of a running community here outside of the memorial area so I get my fill wherever I can. What shoes do you use for training? I've stuck with the asics kayano but was curious about the newtons.

11. bobrek

alexcapone - My goal is a marathon, and I am thinking of the Houston marathon even though I am in Minnesota, but probably not until 2016. Physically I am pretty sure I am ready, but I have to work not he mental aspect.

benchmoochie - I feel pretty good right now except for my
    hemorrhoids :)
    . I'll probably run 3 miles tomorrow to loosen up (no pun intended).

Bag0b0y - I have been running in Asics, but I have recently discovered Mizunos (Wave Hitogami) that weigh next to nothing and I ran in them today. Worked great.

12. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good job. i use to want to run a full marathon as a bucket list item but I just don't want to put that much time into it. Half marathons seem like a happy median. Challenging but not life consuming.

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Congratulations!

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Congrats on the race. I ran into traffic from that race this morning when I was helping drive a friend who had to work on Sat. morning from her apartment down on Grand Ave. I didn't even know there was a race going on so had to make some detours.

You said it too on the incredible Fall weather we are having. I opened the sun roof on my car today and even worked up a bit of sweat raking leaves.

15. bobrek

For the past couple of months, we are either being apologized to for the past couple of winters are being prepared for this one.

Shephard has had signs up the past few days. I don't go far north enough on 35E to see if there were additional signs.

16. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

Awesome stuff, congrats!

This February I'm running my first Half-Marathon in Austin. I've never considered myself as the runner type, but I picked it up as a hobby in June. I'm actually running a 10k today so I should probably get some sleep. I'm looking forward to 13.1 though! My long term goal is to run the Houston Marathon in 2016, so I guess I'll see you there!

17. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

Good job, i have never been able to get into running. I do enjoy being outside though. Maybe someday.

18. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

Awesome! I did the Marine Corps Marathon in DC today. First half in 2:03. Final time 4:53. Oprah smoked me. My tendinitis flared up at mile 16 and I basically hobbled the last ten.

I think I will stick to halves though. The training is not fun.

19. bobrek

My much younger than me cousin ran that as well. I suspect she smoked you too. :)

I could easily have run 16-18 yesterday, but then I think - there are still 8-10 more miles to go.

Also, congratulations. A marathon is an accomplishment.

20. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I'm happy for you, but do you even lift bruh?