1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Former Oilers Kicker, Ian Howfield, makes an appearance @ HPF.com

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Robert Snyder, Jan 22, 2001.

1. Robert Snyder

Robert Snyder Contributing Member

Ric Sweeny who runs HoustonProFootball.com just put up an article about a run-in he had with former Oiler kicker Ian Howfield (wide left @ Washington). Its one of the funniest things I have read.

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/slant/slant10.html

Rob

------------------
    Producer at SportsRadio 1340 KKAM

visit me online at www.robertsnyder.net

2000 Sportscaster of the Year @ KTXT-FM, Lubbock

2. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

oh my gawd... what a reply.
    if you folks, haven't read this article, click on the above link. I've never been a big football fan, but this is some good stuff.

rH

------------------
    The Psychedelic Groove House of Rockets Basketball Love!

Only after the last tree has been cut down,
    Only after the last river has been poisoned,
    Only after the last fish has been caught,
    Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten.
    -Cree Indian Prophecy

*** THIS SPACE FOR LEASE ***

3. PhiSlammaJamma

Apparently, we have some bitter feelings rolling around in the mud. It goes to show you the competitive nature of the game. He probably never even met Del Greco, but hates him passionately because he took his job. It would be interesting if ESPN did an outside the lines on this type of thing. What are the feelings when you lose your job in the NFL? what are your feelings when you are on the bench waiting? And what are your feelings when ultimately your are cut? I thought Frank Wychek was pretty much a nice guy, and I still think so, but even Frank wanted to prove the Redskins wrong for cutting him. Some 8 years later and we was still trying to show them up....anyway...I just found that part on the article very interesting. I've never lost a job to somebody else so I've been lucky, but one time I lost a woman, and If I ever see that guy again I'd probably get real mad. Or I'd laugh at what he got stuck with...anyway, I found that part interesting. Ian is just like Gatsby, he just can't let go....

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

4. outlaw

outlaw Member

Why? he's probably a lousy shot anyway.

Ian was kinda cute 10 years ago, I wonder what he looks like now.

------------------

5. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

To be in a public profession such as a professional athlete, you must have a thick skin to criticism. Howfield was clearly offended by Ric's article, but his reply was so childish that Ric took it as a joke.

I wouldn't be too fast to cut Al Del Greco.

Best Field Goal Pct from 1990-99

Player Team FGM/FGA Pct.
    John Carney SD 243/295 .824
    AL DEL GRECO TEN 236/289 .817
    Jason Hanson DET 173/212 .816
    Norm Johnson PHI 230/282 .816
    Gary Anderson MIN 253/313 .808
    Pete Stoyanovich KC 248/307 .808
    John Kasay CAR 208/260 .800
    Matt Stover BAL 202/254 .795
    Morten Andersen ATL 245/309 .793
    Steve Christie BUF 246/311 .791

Best Field Goal Pct Inside the
    40-Yard Line from 1990-99

Jason Hanson DET 102/106 .962
    AL DEL GRECO TEN 122/129 .946
    Matt Stover BAL 112/119 .941
    John Kasay CAR 111/118 .941
    John Carney SD 122/130 .938
    Jason Elam DEN 124/134 .925
    Morten Andersen ATL 110/119 .924
    Gary Anderson MIN 126/139 .906
    Chris Boniol CHI 102/113 .902
    Norm Johnson PHI 117/131 .893

From Titans Online

------------------

6. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Del Greco has missed some HUGE field goals in big games though. He is a model for consistency, but you could make an argument for him having a choking problem.

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

7. PhiSlammaJamma

What field Goal kicker hasn't missed in big games? They almost all face defeat at one point or another. Del Greco has made plenty of big kicks just the same. Especially for a team that can't put the ball in the endzone, and they still go 13-3. The kicker got you there. We stay the course.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

8. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

My question is: Who gives a crap what AL Del Greco has or hasn't done. Does Del Greco's performance change Ian's performance on the field in any way? No.

I don't understand Ian's point. Sure, I was bad, but Al Del Greco is bad, too? That's not really defending yourself very well. It's saying, "I can't make myself look good because Ric's info is right on the money, so I'm going to attack someone else and try to drag them down to my level."

------------------
    Houston Sports Board
    The Anti-Bud Adams Page

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He does have a point though. Why did he get cut after losing the 9th game of the season when Del Greco lost a playoff game?

He is a sad excuse for a man though.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I don't remember Howfield's stats, but the missed kick against the Redskins was the final straw. He had missed a number of kicks including extra points (notice the plural) prior to that.

Incidentally, I was looking for some oiler history on the Internet in seemingly obvious places like luvyablue.com. Don't type that URL with the kids around.
    ------------------

[This message has been edited by bobrek (edited January 22, 2001).]

11. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

But Grec's got a track record. (Up until this year) he's been a solid, very reliable kicker. Where as Ian had no prior history to fall back on. And the Washington loss was very demoralizing, considering the circumstances. The kicker made a good scapegoat, especially since he directly failed to win the game with the chip shot.

As for the Denver loss in the playoffs that year, I don't remember Al's kick being the deciding factor. What I remember is the offense cooling off after a fast start and the defense blowing several 3rd-and-longs to let Elway guide his team to the W.

Oh yeah, and that was a funny article. Maybe he can pick a fight with Dave Smith of the 86 Astros next.

------------------
    I am Jack's utter lack of surprise.
    www.clutchtown.com

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

More on Howfield - According to the book Oiler Blues, Howfield missed at least 5 extra points in the 8 games prior to the Redskin failure.

That was the season that the Oilers cut Tony Zendejas who ended up signing with the Rams and becoming the first kicker in NFL history NOT to miss a regular season field goal (17-17).

------------------

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The quote that had me rolling was when one of the writer's friends told him :

"Why don't you tell him to come down here and kick your ass. You know he'd miss it."

Oh man, I can't stop laughing. [​IMG]

------------------
    "No Brain Grant, no trade." -- Typos are a b**** as ZRB is holding Rocket trades hostage while he seeks a brain. Conspiracy theorists say this would explain why Hakeem has yet to be traded...

14. Redglare

Redglare Member

For Ric's sake, I hope Ian wasn't in attendance at the gun show.

------------------

15. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

redglare...
    that's a good one.
    lol

rH

------------------
    The Psychedelic Groove House of Rockets Basketball Love!

Only after the last tree has been cut down,
    Only after the last river has been poisoned,
    Only after the last fish has been caught,
    Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten.
    -Cree Indian Prophecy

*** THIS SPACE FOR LEASE ***