1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike Miller on David blatt:"His offensive stuff is borderline genius"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by kingdragon22, Sep 30, 2014.

1. kingdragon22

kingdragon22 Member

"His offensive stuff is borderline genius," wing Mike Miller said following Monday's practice. "It takes a little time, but you see why he's done such a good job leading teams to championships."

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2014/09/lebron_james_and_mike_miller_h.html

lebron on blatt offence:

"It's very challenging mentally," he said. "We've seen a similar approach to this type of offense ... but there's a lot more options to this than I'm used to seeing."

http://www.foxsports.com/ohio/story...d-blatt-lebron-james-princeton-offense-092914

2. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

This guy stole McHale's read and react system

Blatt explained. "The way we want to play with this group, which is a high-IQ group, is to give them a chance to read and react, make good decisions and play off the defense."

3. kingdragon22

kingdragon22 Member

"It's not the typical NBA sets that all 30 teams run with little twists and wrinkles," Miller said. "This is completely different. Once we get a hold of it it's going to be a big weapon."

James, who admitted going to YouTube to learn about Blatt's offense, shares Miller's enthusiasm.

"It's very free flowing and it's going to be challenging for guys," James said. "I can see it. Guys are kind of thinking through it a little too much, but I think when we get it there are so many different options. It's live at every position and there's a counter to everything a defense can do."

4. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

It'll be interesting to see how much of their offense ends up running through Kevin Love. When they go small with LeBron and Love at the 4 & 5, they'll be pretty unstoppable offensively.

If the Cavs end up nabbing Hibbert, his time playing in the Princeton Offense at Georgetown should serve him well.

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

They should try to turn Kevin Love into Blade Divac.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He has Love & James... so he's definitely going to look like a genius regardless of what he runs. Spoelstra did it. This guy will do it. I wonder how it translates for middle-of-the-road teams.

7. kingdragon22

kingdragon22 Member

Blatt coached and won championships with underdogs, his entire carrer.

He one the 2007 European championship with Russia against Spain in Spain.
    last year he one the euroleague with maccabi tel aviv, playing against a much better teams, cheska Moskva and real Madrid, in the final four.

Those teams had much better players.

His coaching was the difference maker, and helped them to win those European championships.

good coach can succeed everywhere, and get the maximum from his team and players.

Having lebron, love and Irving talent on the team will make life much easier for him.

8. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

I'm pretty sure if you have Lebron, Irving, and Love you can pretty much run a motion offense and kick the teeth in of your opponents. Let's go ahead and perpetuate the myth that these coaches make a difference. Its good to spread the wealth and give them good salaries.

[​IMG]

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm familiar with his career. Accomplishments outside of the NBA (including NCAA) don't do much for me.

10. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Wow... I'm looking forward to it.

11. kingdragon22

kingdragon22 Member

Having prime Jordan and pippen and prime Kobe and shaq, helped Phil jackson to win his 11 nba championships.

But having the right coach and his coaching stuff, with a great system is still an important factor.

You sure wouldn't mind having popovich or Jackson coaching the rockets, although they coached hall of famers, their entire carrer.

12. rockettes

rockettes Rookie

mike miller is offended

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The work-in-progress known as the Cavs offense (and how NBA defenses respond to it) will be interesting to follow during the season.

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

They can have Mchale and still look like a genius. Maybe not

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

Doesn't "borderline genius" mean it's very smart, but not quite genius?

16. kingdragon22

kingdragon22 Member

They have the best small forward and power foreword in the nba + Irving who is a top 10 point guard.

we have the best center and the best sg + no third star.

I hope that we can get out third star and meet them in the final.

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think it feels like I'm go-ing to lose my mind.

18. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

Aren't the majority of modern offenses like the Princeton Offense, and The Triangle, and Red Aurbach's offense similar in that they rely on the player to recognize the defense in order to dictate the how the offense flows? I think there are actually very few teams that rely on a coach calling plays from a set playbook in the NBA. Carlisle and Vogle are the only two that I can think of that run set plays every time down the court.

Either way, I have no doubt that this team can score points. A coach with only European experience is going to have to prove himself on the defensive end.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The difference between the Cavs and Rockets is a bit more than just a 3rd star. McHale is a huge problem. Depth is an issue that will plague the Rockets. They also have a much easier road to the Finals.

20. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Coaches can be evaluated beyond the performance of their stars. A team has fifteen players, not two. Get your eyes of Lebron and Love and you might see it for yourself. We don't need to see Popovich coach the Sixers to know that he's a good coach, San Antonio's third stringers already tell you the story. All a coach can do is put their players in roles they can perform well, they're not going to work miracles.