1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grade the 2012 Houston Texans Draft Class

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by IronTexan93, May 11, 2015.

?

What grade do you give the 2012 Houston Texans NFL Draft Class?

1. A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. B

18 vote(s)
    45.0%
  3. C

12 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. D

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. F

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

I see a thread already evaluating the 2013/14 class, however IMO, a draft class should really be evaluated after about three years. With that in mind, enough time has passed that we know who has and hasn't been able to live up to expectations, so lets get to grading.

2011 Record: 10-6

Number of Picks: 8

Team Needs(At the Time): Offensive Tackle, Linebacker, Safety, Wide Receiver, Tight End

Popular Targets: Kendall Wright, Stephen Hill, Coby Fleener

Picks:

1 (26): Whitney Mercilus, DE (OLB), Illinois

3 (68): DeVier Posey, WR, Ohio State

3 (76): Brandon Brooks, G, Miami (OH)

4 (99): Ben Jones, C, UGA

4 (121): Keshawn Martin WR, Michigan State

4 (126): Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska

5 (161): Randy Bullock, K, Texas A&M

6 (195): Nick Mondek, T, Purdue

Looking at this class overall, I don't find it to be as underwhelming as compared to the 13' and 14', yet I also don't really consider any of the picks to be steals or homeruns, etc. For the most part, we drafted guys who are solid contributors, and most are still contributing to this day. With Whitney, as far as 1st round expectations go, he hasn't lived up to them, but I feel like he knows his role, and he can sometimes provide us with flashes every now and then. The Texans recently gave him a contract extension, so it's debatable on whether or not you wan't to label him a bust. I prefer the term underwhelming.

Devier has been a disappointment. Plain and simple. We kept waiting for him to take the step every season, but the potential just never clicked within him and the injuries took their toll. Brooks has been a very solid lineman for this football team, and for where he was picked you could argue that he was a gem or steal from this draft. There are still questions surrounding Ben Jones, and hopefully this season provides us with some answers. Keshawn hasn't been as much of a disappointment as Devier, but he is also a player who has underwhelmed and has not been able to establish himself as a solid slot receiver or special teams returner. Jared Crick is no JJ, but I've been pleasantly surprised with his development, and I think he was a solid pick. Randy Bullock faced a wave of scrutiny during a disastrous 2013 season, but In 2014 I felt as if he made solid progression, and time will ultimately tell how he will turn out. I admittedly don't know much about Nick Mondek, but he currently isn't with the team, but the Texans get some leeway considering he is a 6th round draft pick.

Final Grade: B

Overall, this draft class looks better IMO from an overall standpoint as compared to the 13' and 14' draft classes. Although no one among the pack has seriously established themselves as an impact player, most of the players selected from this class are still solid contributors and are still on the team to this day. That's a hell of a lot more then I can say about 13' or 14' draft class.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Agree with b

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Sorry to mess your poll... meant to hit B, hit D instead. One of the more solid draft classes...

4. conquistador#11

B with the potential to go to an A, if mallet succeeds. mallet doesn't hold on to the ball as much as fitzie and has complete mastery of the offense, which will make the O-line look even better. if that happens, ben jones will be a part of that.

scouts still do the work so I'm also including the UFAs. Jonathan Grimes, Cody white/ will be back up center and guard, and pleasant. good depth.

5. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

^
    I don't think Mallett counts as a member of our draft class.

Does OP realize Posey was traded? Just a bit confused by the "he has been a disappointment," implying that he may yet prove his worth.

I accidentally voted F. I'd give a B based on Mercilus' recent progression. The OL picks were good. Bullock may yet prove to be a great pick.

6. Summer Song Giver

C

Nothing jumps out at you, Brooks and Merc may be long time starters but neither are pro bowlers, and while a jump like that isn't out of the question it probably won't happen for either.

Jones and Crick have been somewhat solid but mostly invisible with their play.

Bullock has been terrible and then solid but the terrible still stings.

Middle of the road all the way.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

A good way to judge a draft years later is to ask if you would draft them in the same position knowing what you now know. I can say that about Brooks, Jones, and Crick. Mercilus is playing more like a 2nd round pick; he and Posey could change the way we look at this draft in the next year or two.

8. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

When I referenced Posey, I was referring to his tenure here with the Texans as being a disappointment overall. The Texans might have had hopes of him establishing himself as slot receiver someday, but injuries and mediocre play dashed whatever slight hopes were even there. IMO the trade simply signified that the Texans did not see much to even warrant keeping him here to fight for a roster spot in camp.

9. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

10. Mr. Clutch

Weird that this was one of our better drafts and people were so down on it.

Or actually, not weird at all.

Too bad the poll wasn't public.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

5 usable players in this draft, the 2014 draft has 7 and people are really down on it for some reason.

12. Mr. Clutch

"Usable" is not the standard. Whatever it means.

So far the 2014 doesn't have any good starters. Could change, of course.

2012 has 5 good starters, including one potential Pro Bowler (Brooks), and two "usable" guys in Keyshawn Martin DeVier Posey.

13. Mr. Clutch

I just realized this thread was made this year.

Weird.

14. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Louis Nix III is usable. You know how much sausage you could make out of that dude? Enough to feed Vince Wilfork.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Good?

I don't think any one of the 6 guys still on the team (Mercilus, Brooks, Jones, Martin, Crick, Bullock) qualifies as good.

Mercilus has been average, possibly below average considering his 1st round status. Brooks and Jones are average (so far, could blossom). Martin has been a nonfactor. Crick has contributed in rotation time. And we spent an entire season letting Bullock wet the bed before he became mediocre and now average.

Nobody outside of Texans homers would go out of their way to call those guys "good" football players.

The 2014 class still has time for a few gems to emerge, but the 2012 class' clock has almost struck midnight.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

But we only had 1 pick in the first 2 rounds.

Not sure what you're expecting from 7 players picked in the third round or later, but I think most teams would be pretty happy to get 4 competent starters from that.

17. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Jj watt speaks highly of Crick; when Watt freelances and rushes, Crick has to cover for the gap Watt leaves open. You need players that compliment Watt also, not just a bunch of players running into the backfield.

18. Mr. Clutch

Well Brooks is definitely very good with pro bowl potential.

The other guys...OK I'll give you average. But they are young and were picked mid-low except for Mercilus.

19. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Brooks definitely qualifies as very good/almost pro bowl quality…Merci and Jones are average…Bullock has been good. Crick is serviceable.

I think that grades out to a B- draft.

20. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Brooks is the only high quality player of the group. Crick is a decent starter. Jones and Mericlus are serviceable fringe starters. Bullock is an average kicker.

Nothing special, but most of that draft is at least still in the league which is better than a lot of their drafts. B- I suppose