1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If we don't trade T-Mac, who should our top offseason FA target be?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hokage5, Feb 9, 2010.

1. hokage5

hokage5 Member

We all know that in the NBA, maybe more than any other sport, you need superstars to win. Not stars, superstars. The only team in recent memory that didn't have legit super-super stars are maybe the Pistons, but injuries plagued better teams that year.

I believe that Daryl Morey's goal is and should be to win a championship. Not to go to the finals, not to make it deep into the playoffs, but to win a championship. And to do that, let's face it, we need one or two premier players and a bunch of role players.

And none of these rumored T-Mac trades give us a superstar. Correct me if I am wrong as I am admittedly lacking in my NBA cap knowledge, but if we do Trade away Tracy's contract, we probably wouldnt have enough money to make a run at a superstar.

Even with a healthy Yao, we still need one more superstar to win the title. And by trading for Butler or Igoudala, we don't accomplish that. We get stars, but stars don't win titles, they just may advance you past the first round.

All I do know is that I trust in Morey, and if he makes a trade, I'm sure its the right thing
    But I hope we don't trade Tracy. And if we don't, who do you guys think we should heavily target in the free agent class? Any chance we can get D-Wade?

2. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

We don't have a target..

3. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

See Bimathugs thread. Keeping him we will only be 7 or 8 million under the cap or not much more than the MLE. Not getting any superstars for that.

4. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Not enough money to go after a superstar but people need to remember not only are we getting a FA pickup but also a mid 1st round pick and a LLE guy which could become a valuable backup center for Yao.

With the money available I say Mike Miller should be target#1 and don't take NO for an answer.

I would like to point out HOWEVER that i've read a few articles that suggest only James, Wade and MAYBE Bosh will be getting Max deals and the rest will be stunned by the contracts they get. Joe Johnson is one of the guys said to receive a NON-MAX deal along with Gay and Amare. The reason for this is the new CBA that the owners want for 2011-12 so if and this is a huge IF you could acquire Joe Johnson for lets say 13 million a year the question may become...

7-10 million in cap space+renouncing Scola+not picking up options on Hayes and Dorsey

for

Joe Johnson

It seems far-fetched but with the new structure coming into play nothing is known for sure or how owners will react this summer in an effort to save up for a potential lockout.

5. Al Capone

Al Capone Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I have to agree with Joe Johnson being a great FA and probably overlooked by a lot of teams looking for a "splash".

He will command a lot of money but If we can trade Battier to a contender for picks then we just might be able to pay him.

7. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Exactly. Either Joe or Bosh will most likely require us to trade Battier and/or Ariza. I think we would be dangerous if we resign scola, lose battier and gain joe. Or, not resign scola and go after bosh.

8. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

There is not enough capspace.

[​IMG]

9. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

I've said this too which is why both Battier and Ariza are on the block. He is still an upgrade to both of them together. Assuming Rockets have a gut the team strategy up their sleeve with nobody except for Yao, Brooks, Landry, Budinger under contract, this means everybody else would have to be moved and nothing on the books coming back beyond next season. Then you might have a shot at Johnson and Gay if your lucky especially if Bosh like he said had no plan to opt out. Renounce Scola and Lowry and can resign them if you had too under that rule i think. Decline both Hayes and Dorsey's options. I'm curious what the books would say if you went that rout.

10. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Mike Miller would be ideal for the price.

11. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

We should renounce Scola and go for David Lee. David Lee does everything Scola does better and is a couple years younger. And he could be another threat on the floor for when we go through non scoring stretches. I used to think his game was getting dunks but after seeing him play against the rockets this year, I see he has matured greatly as a player. Offer him 9-10 mil per year for like 5 years. It might look a hellaton better with the bargaining agreement coming up.

12. BetterThanEver

David Lee is anything but a superstar.

13. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

Was I calling David Lee a superstar? I said he was a good player.

14. s3ts

s3ts Member

Our only hope is to sign n trade, but it's not going to happen.

It's either we get a nice trade now or wait until a superstar asks to leave in the seasons following.

The best we can try to go for is a Detroit Pistons-style team of 2004, 2005, 2006.

15. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

Resign the guys we have(Scola &Lowry) Then go after Manu ginobli (maybe Gay because living in Memphis is probably terrible.)Make some Trades with our young guys + battiet and seal the deal on an SG and then we'd be Good.

16. BetterThanEver

I assumed you were responding the original post that Iggy and Butler are not superstar, so they should chase free agents.

17. BetterThanEver

I would rather have Iggy/Butler than David Lee. He's not nearly as good as them.

18. herro

herro Member

scrubby rolerton

19. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

I think we'd be pretty closely above 30 million maybe. Or 30+ million under the cap. Does anybody have the correct books? With all our expiring contracts AND renounce Scola and Lowry. This leaves you to around 9 million alone. If Ariza and Battier are moved including the rest of the fillers NOT under contract beyond this season, then how far would they be under?

20. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Here is a link to a website with all the Rox salaries but not sure on the total they show so take it as a guideline but not the hard truth, I'd refer to Bima's thread to be certain.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/houston.htm