1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grade the 2014 Houston Texans Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, May 10, 2014.

?

Rate the Texans 2014 NFL Draft

Poll closed Jun 9, 2014.
  1. A+

9.2%
  2. A

28.0%
  3. A-

26.9%
  4. B+

17.1%
  5. B

8.4%
  6. B-

2.3%
  7. C

2.6%
  8. D

0.9%
  9. F

2.3%
  10. Abstain, courteously

2.3%
  1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

A solid B+ to A-

Would have liked to see a little more offensive line help, but Clowney alone makes the draft a success.

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

I say A+. I like every single pick the team made - just unfortunate that there wasn't a surefire franchise QB in the draft.

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Needed a nickle back bad, I assume we will be signing a late cut vet CB or two
    I don't know about Pagan but we needed some depth at end
    Seems like Fiedorowicz might have been a redundant pick when we need to fill holes, but I wouldn't bet against him starting or playing a lot...and we got Nix anyway

Somebody said, #1 pass rusher, #1 G, #1 NT, hottest later round QB... 3, possibly 4 starters. That's pretty damn good.

4. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

I absolutely loved this draft, definitely one of my favorites in recent memory.

The Texans got four starters with their first four picks, and then continued to add impact players throughout the draft. Prosch seems like a really tough player who will be great paving the way for us.

Tom Savage, while controversial, most certainly has starter potential in my opinion.

Pagan, Blue and Hal can be important role players, and they are athletic enough to be very effective on special special teams, excluding Pagan of course

5. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

I heard a lot of positive things about that 7th round corner we drafted

6. Raven

Raven Member

I love that movie!

:)

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I put it in almost every single poll I create on this forum. Few people rarely get the reference!

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So the question is . . . . .Does Rick Smith get credit for this one . ... along with all the others
    or
    does he get no credit because this was a BO'B Draft and all the other one's where Kubiak Drafts
    #ShutUpRickAndMakeGoodContractsAndStayOutTheDraftRoom

Rocket River

9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

yep, by what I read Hal could be the nickle I had us short, solid A

10. justtxyank

I said A+. I absolutely love the draft.

Came away with a starter at OLB/DE, G, DT, FB and TE with some interesting picks late in the draft in Savage and Hal. Some people have Hal as one of the best corners in the draft. I don't know much about him, but he's interesting to me.

I hate that we didn't get a franchise QB, but if the Texans didn't feel like there was one there, then there wasn't one to take.

The defense should be improved next year, but the offense will be seriously better. Got a dominant FB, a dominant guard and a strong tight end. Protection should be a lot of better.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

By far the best draft the Texans have ever had.

12. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

tough to tell before they take the field and the mario/meco draft was stellar - but this one reminds me of that one a lot

13. justtxyank

Agreed, at least on draft day. Who knows how it ultimately plays out, but outside of Savage I don't think it is unreasonable to think every single player the Texans have picked will contribute significantly to the team this year, with between 4 and 6 being above average starters in the NFL.

14. mick fry

mick fry Member

O'B is making football moves. We know Rick aint pulling these picks out of his a$$.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I have gotten the feeling he is the contracts man
    and the coaches make the picks

Rocket River

16. justtxyank

They have a contracts man.

17. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Camp and preseason will hand out better grades, but it seemed like they did their homework for this draft and knew exactly what they did/didn't want.

Defensive front should be vastly improved. (Pagan/Powe/Crick) + Nix and Watt will be tough to handle early, and a Nickel front of Mercilus - (Pagan/Powe/Crick/Nix) - Watt - Clowney should terrorize. I did a backflip when we took Nix - just have to hope those knees hold up.

A RT was expected, but Su'a-Filo and Fiedorowicz should improve the blocking well enough that the guy in between them isn't a glaring liability.

We'll see with Savage. O'Brien knew what he wanted and looked at all of these guys closely. Worth a shot in the 4th to see if he pans out.

Blue and Prosch certainly add to the notion that this offense is going to be more power than finesse. Might as well if you don't have a high caliber Qb at the helm.

I'm not expecting a lot out of Hal. Anything beyond secondary depth and special teams contributions is probably bonus.

Looking forward to see the undrafted FA haul.

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

I guess I don't like the picks as much as you guys. Hopefully I'm wrong.

19. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I was hoping for more help on th LB front. Depending on if you have Clowney at Olb/de I don't think we helped out one of the worst, especially at inside LB, groups in NFL when Cushing was out for 2nd straight year. We are counting on Reed doing something at inside, Cushing coming back strong and Mercilus improving. Still have almost no depth again this year. But I guess you can't fill all holes in one draft.

Was Ben Malena taken? If not I'd bring him in. Like him more than Blue.