1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If it's not going to be a QB with the 1st pick...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by HR Dept, Jan 23, 2015.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Actually meant to say...start spending first round draft picks on something other than defensive linemen.

2. Buck Turgidson

I wasn't being 100% serious, but still....

Most of the mediocrity on offense is on the QB position. I don't see them fixing that in the draft this year. They could use another RB, they could use another WR. They desperately need talent in the LB corp and in the defensive backfield.

What needs will they try to address in FA? How much of their propensity for forcing turnovers was just "luck" (for lack of a better word) and how much did that play into their defensive success? Is that something you can count on to be repeated next year? I dunno.

3. Remii

Remii Member

I would rather they spend that 1st round pick on Gurley if he's there or maybe Gordon if Gurley is not there. But Tennessee, Jacksonville, Jets, Atlanta, Minnesota, and maybe the Giants need a running back (and a couple of those teams are in desperate need of a running back) so it's very possible that both Gurley and Gordon could be off the board by the time the Texans pick so Johnson would be a good player to have their eye on.

4. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Football has me hooked, line and sinker.
    There are so many theories and ideas to ponder.
    Like perhaps improving the offense to the point of extending drives to keep the defense fresh and fired up.
    This may not work for every team and may not work for Texans, but it is an accepted theory.

5. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Does anybody know how Gurley is doing after his injury? I think that could drop him to the second round.

I'd really like a CB with the first round pick tho. J-Jo could end up a cap casualty this offseason, and that would free up money to re-sign Kareem. But we do have some promising CBs on the roster, but I don't know if any of them can become elite. Bouye and Morris show a lot of promise tho.

Hell I guess just best player available

6. MystikArkitect

No to RBs in the 1st round.

Keep seeing Trae Waynes with this pick which is fine. Devante Parker would be another. Really need to shore up WR2, Slot, CB, S, and ILB. Basically need to hit at a 50% clip with this draft and get some production out of last year's draft.

7. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

This. We didn't need to draft a defensive lineman last year with needs at QB, WR and ILB. We sure as hell don't need to draft one this year.

Time to start taking care of moving the football and the other two defensive levels.

8. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I defiantly can respect this line of thinking, but I'd really like to see this team maximize JJ Watt while he's at his height and being paid the way that he is. Adding weapons to play along side him is the best way to do that. Making what Sapp said about never seeing double teams a reality is what could potentially make this defense an all time great.

If I were in charge and had a youg JJ Watt to work with, that would be my goal.

9. orosiriley

orosiriley Member

2015 draft needs

We need lots of help, but a DB (Trae Waynes), ILB in the second round (Perrman), wr and rb in the later rounds would be a A+ draft. If the 2014 picks are healthy, it's like having a double draft this year. Nearly all of our 2014 picks were hurt and not of much help.

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

I would take Montgomery, mostly for PR and KR.

11. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

I agree for the most part. Those are definitely the positions of need, and it'd be great to shore up the defense in any way to help out Watt.

If Devante Parker falls to 16, however, the Texans should really consider him. He has legit #1 talent and would compliment Hopkins well. The two could be a dangerous combo for years to come. Receiver is certainly a need too because life after Andre might not be pretty if we're not prepared.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Now that's a good argument and he would be a possible steal if still on the board. The best way to make a meh quality QB look good is by giving him great weapons to work with.

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

Apparently I'm in the minority but I think we have a capable #2 receiver - Andre Johnson. He is declining but still good enough as a #2. CB is similar, if Kareem Jackson is signed and Joseph is retained. Jonathan Joseph is a capable #2 baring injury. Whoever the Texans draft is not going to be a #1 corner in his first year plus he'll have to compete with the likes of Bouye and Morris. Both positions should be addressed in later rounds if possible. The same can't be said about ILB, TE, OLB, LG, and QB. Whoever is drafted in the first round has a good chance of starting in week 1.

14. Remii

Remii Member

Drafting for need in the 1st round could be a great way to end up missing out on a great player.

15. Mashing

Mashing Member

We need a burner that will open up our vertical game. If Mallet remains the starter he has the kind of arm that can beat you deep. Antonio Bryant or TY Hilton clone would be ideal.

16. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I like the cornerback from Michigan State...Trae Waynes

17. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Gurley would be my top RB pick except for one red flag - his knee. He refused to let doctors near it at the Combine. Red flag much?
    I have had enough of watching high draft picks going down in the Texans ranks.
    They seem to be very interested in Ameer Abdullah as a change of pace back. The kid from Aggieland - Trey Williams, would also fit - both are good at returning punts too.
    The other thing they could do is make sure that O-line is solid. This would not only help out the RB, but also the QB - that other little issue Texans happen to have.
    Look at what the rookie Zach Martin did for Cowboys line this season.

18. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

We can't really guess yet until we see what happens in Free Agency.
    If we cut AJ it's a WR.
    If we lose Kareem it's a DB.
    If we cut Myers or don't resign Newton it could be OL.
    If we don sign Brooks Reed it could be an OLB.
    If we don't sign Mallet we might move up to #2 for Mariotta (wouldn't be my choice,costs too much depth)

19. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

If they can move up to #2 for Mariota, they should do it whether they've re-signed Mallett or not. Mallett should not be the reason that prevents you from making a move for one of the Top 2 QBs in the draft.

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That's not entirely true. On his doctor's advice (ever heard of Dr. James Andrews?) they didn't want all 32 doctors pulling and tugging on his recently surgically repaired knee. Those that did look at him said he's about 6 weeks ahead in his recovery and rehab.

Andrews: Gurley ahead of schedule