1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brown or Orlando....who is less likely to RUIN the city?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ty_Webb, Nov 28, 2001.

1. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

I cant believe the choice for the mayor of Houston is down to these two idiots. They are both terrible. I am just curious as to whom is least likely to mess things up before we have the next election and can get a real mayor?

#1 Ty_Webb, Nov 28, 2001
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2001
  2. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I don't know who to vote for. I didn't like any of them, Bell included.

The announced on the news tonight that Rudy Giuliani will appear in a commercial supporting Sanchez. See ya, Lee.

3. Colby

Colby Member

Where's Monty Brewster? "Vote for none of the above."

Reluctantly, Sanchez will get my vote.

4. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

I didn't vote in the general election this time, because I didn't think that any of them stood out as being a better choice. Had I voted, it would've been for Brown, even though I generally vote Republican. While I don't trust Brown & think that he's only in it to further his political career, I didn't feel that he'd done anything to be voted out for either.

However, since the runoffs started, I've had a change of heart & I'm thinking about voting for Sanchez now. Brown has done nothing but run mud slinging ads against Sanchez since the runoffs started. I haven't seen one ad, in which Brown promotes what he's done during his term as Mayor. The one that really pissed me off, was the one in which he refers to Sanchez as a "low level state employee". Who the h*ll does he think he is? That ad gave me the impression that he thinks Sanchez is beneath him, not as an opponent, but as a man. Sorry, I get a little pissed when I start thinking about it.

Until recently, I haven't seen Sanchez run one negative ad directed at Brown. He's been stating things that he believes need to be done. But, I guess to survive in the political arena, you have to do what you have to do.

I don't know if Sanchez is the right guy for the job, but I surely don't want someone running my city that feels he has to tear someone down to get reelected. I'm tired of all the negative campaigning. :mad:

5. Timing

Timing Member

I'm definitely voting for Sanchez. Lee Brown has always been somewhat of a running joke as far as I'm concerned. He's so well tied into the inner city cronyism (sp?) that he gets his voters out well but I think his number is up this time. At least I hope so. The fire department situation has been bad for a long time and this last death is basically on his hands. I didn't find him sincere at all after that situation. The phone recording that his campaign set up with James Byrd's sister, Louvon Harris, just disgusted me. If there is anyone who hasn't heard that taped message you should check it out. It basically paints Orlando Sanchez as a racist and Byrd's sister says she "wouldn't feel safe" if Sanchez became mayor. Then on top of all of that, Brown accuses Sanchez of trying to intimidate minority voters (pretty funny considering Sanchez IS a minority) because there will be republican volunteers monitoring the polls, casually forgetting that there will be democrats doing the same exact thing. Sanchez may not be tremendously qualified but he's definitely the lesser of two evils as far as I'm concerned. Plus, in a city with such a large hispanic population I think it's horrible that there hasn't been a hispanic mayor yet. You could say the same thing about the HISD school board leadership.

6. TroyBaros

TroyBaros "Special" Friend of Steve Francis

They both suck.
    One is never in the city even though he is mayor
    and the other just takes low blows at someone and relys on the hispanics to get him in.

Either way were screwed.

I say we write in the vote for the midget hehehehehehe:D

7. Band Geek Mobster

I don't think Brown stands much of a chance against Sanchez...

Support from the local firefighters and President Bush Sr. = Win

8. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

thanks for the input. I was totally against Sanchez going into the election and never liked Lee P, but I am waivering towards Sanchez now. THE only redeeming quality in voting for Lee P I can come up with is term limits. If we vote in Brown at least we KNOW he is done at the end of his term, if we vote in Sancez we could get stuck with him for awhile.

9. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Vote for Brown .

Brown has been a fairly good but unexciting mayor. He is continuing the policies of the charismatic Bob Lanier, who I prefer. Brown is rebuilding the streets and parks. I know it is somewhat annoying to have them work on the streets.

Sanchez really does have next to nothing in terms of accomplishments except for city council. His sole motivation seems to be he likes elected office. There's an anti-tax anti-affirmative action Rush Limbaugh thing that doesn't apply to city politics which is really about spending money on schools, streets, drainage and parks.

I get sick of everybody with a good job and education raving about and visiting NYC. San Franciso. Washington D.C., Boston etc which all have interesting downtowns and neighborhoods because tax dollars built museums, parks etc. a generation or two ago.

As Chris Bell said about Sanchez "merely being a Republican is not good enough". That is he must be for something.

10. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

On a scale of 1-10, Brown is a zero, and Sanchez is a -2.

Brown has proven time and again that he is a completely inept mayor, while Sanchez seems to have been a failure in everything he has done since graduating college (phony businesses, probation officer, etc.).

I will probably vote for Brown, but I will be holding my nose while I do it. This is a very depressing election. I feel sad for our city.

11. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Hey Tex, good to see ya still around and checking out the board.

12. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I second that, make more appearances, Tex.