1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Morey engaging Chicago in a stare down contest for Carloid Boozer?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Jul 13, 2014.

1. basketballholic

Yes, I said Carloid. Get it?

So, here's my theory:

Rox have until tomorrow night to match Parsons. They have put out a rumor that they plan to match Parsons' deal tomorrow morning.

In the meantime,

they have traded lin for cap space. They have enough capspace (if they simply renounce Hamilton) to sign Ariza outright ($8.5 million) plus sign Troy Daniels to the remaining cap space (a little over $1 million).

Following these signings they are basically sitting on the cusp of the cap figure of $63.065 million, with a roster of:

Howard
    Harden
    Asik (still untraded)
    Ariza
    Jones
    DMo
    Parsons (qualifying offer on cap)
    Powell
    Casspi
    Daniels
    Beverley
    Canaan
    Covington
    Garcia (cap hold)
    Capella (cap hold)

So...here's a possibility.

Chicago and Pau have committed to each other. To sign Pau outright (since he has to be renounced for LA to complete their free agent signings), Chicago has to amnesty Boozer (along with moving out Greg Smith) to create enough cap space to sign Pau.

So.....this leaves Chicago in a bind. Mirotic wants to come over. He has a high buyout. He needs the full MLE to pay his buyout (I think it's $3 million.) plus have some change to justify coming stateside. But Chicago loses that by going under the cap and signing Pau. Not to mention...do they really have a spot for Mirotic if they have Pau, Noah, and Taj????

So, it's just this simple. BEFORE the Rox match Parsons tomorrow, they do have the opportunity to turn the Asik trade into an acquisition of Boozer plus an asset...instead of just having an $8.3 million TPE. Here's how:

Combine Asik's outgoing salary going to New Orleans with Powell, Casspi, and Jones going back out to....Philly. We only need $11,800 of outgoing salary to bring in Boozer (+$5,000,000 rule). But......for the trouble of saving Chicago $16,800,000 in salary (dead money for amnestying Boozer) Chicago sends us back....the rights to...Mirotic.....or McDermott. Both guys count as zero $$ in trade since they are unsigned first round draft picks. And we'll take either guy. If we get Mirotic...we have the MLE to sign him and bring him over. If we get McDermott..rookie scale contract. Both guys are assets.

Now........this is a limited opportunity for Chicago. They can only take advantage of it until the moment we match Parsons.

Is Morey going to stare down Chicago's front office and dare them to amnesty Boozer and essentially pay $19 million for McDermott to be on the roster while simultaneously possibly losing Mirotic back to Europe forever? This may be the last chance to get Mirotic in the NBA before he is bowled over with too many Euro's to make the switch.

Another distinct possibility is there could still be a sign-and-trade of Pau arranged simultaneously with the trade of Boozer that would allow Chicago to stay over the cap and use the MLE to sign Mirotic. In that case....we'll take Boozer...but they have to give up McDermott...and another asset..say Tony Snell...or a pick.

Now....couldn't Chicago possibly dump Boozer on the Sixers for less than what we ask for? Well...it's possible. But why would Philly do that? When they know they can get Boozer from us at the trade deadline for more assets than Chicago is willing to give up? So...they don't have to pay the entire $16,800,000 of Boozer's deal and they can take on other salary for assets along with the asset we will send them at the trade deadline.

Outside of Philly....I didn't check...but I don't think there's anybody else that has $16.8 million of cap space to take on Boozer.

So.......if Chicago is smart....and if this is on the table for them.....they'll either send is McDermott or Mirotic for the privilege of dumping Boozer and not having to pay an extra $16.8 million for nothing...and be able to give Pau a better contract.

How to make this happen?? Call up Pau and offer him $30 million for 3 years.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Hey,

look!

A

random

trade

idea!

3. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Mirotic and McDermott? Come on. No chance. They refused to trade Mirotic for a top 10 pick this year. He's young and very good. That would be too much even for Donald Sterling when he was in the historic money saving mode in early 2000s.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Here we go again..... random outlandish BHollic idea out of left field.

You get a C for Creativity in my book.

5. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

By the way, did the Rockets use their Lin exception to get Ariza? If not, then they don't have a full MLE.

6. basketballholic

one or the other

7. anon3803

anon3803 Member

Crazy, convoluted deal . . . ain't happening. Although, IMO grabbing Pau for a few years wouldn't be bad. As much as people criticize him for being soft, he's a pretty good player to fill the PF and C spots along with Jones and Howard.

8. basketballholic

he's already committed to Chicago. Don't think that will change. But if Morey told Pau he could have 3/30 here...then it may start a chain of events leading to a sign-and-trade of Pau to Chicago and Boozer and McDermott being sent here.

9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

how does this involve a PARSONS TRADE?

10. SleepyRodriguez

Gasol has mediated on this and chosen Chicago. End of story. Nice try though, I like your moxy kid.

11. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

This thread belongs here:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. basketballholic

The question is not one of will Pau change his mind. The question is if this is on the table will Chicago choose to amnesty Boozer and throw $16.8 million down the toilet?

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

Boozer is the scum of the earth

but I guess beggars can't be choosers

15. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Oh, I see. You had Mirotic and McDermott in an earlier edition.

Mirotic, no way.

McDermott, I don't know. Maybe Chicago would like that. They'd get a little bit of extra cap space compared to an amnesty, if I understand the trade idea correctly. And they'd save a lot of cash.

But do the Rockets really want to lose Terrence Jones and pay a ton on tax money in order to get Boozer and McDermott?
    They'd be paying well over 80 mil to a team that added Ariza, Boozer and McDermott, and lost Asik, Lin and Terrence Jones.

16. NotChandlerParsons

I don't get it. Help me out bro.

17. basketballholic

Well..tax money....the long range plan would be to convert Ariza, the Chicago asset (Mirotic or McDermott), the Pelies pick...and possibly Daniels...and possibly DMo....and Boozer's contract into Kevin Love and other salary...possibly at the trade deadline. But if not...then flip Boozer's contract to Philly along with a couple assets (DMo, etc.) for nothing but a good old fashioned $16.8 million TPE.

My other thought on Boozer (and I don't know if this is kosher or not by the CBA) would be to try to get him to sign a max extension for a couple years with next season only guaranteed for about $2-3 million. I can't remember if extensions require the first year of the extension to be 100% guaranteed or not. But if it is possible to extend a contract with only a partial guarantee on the first season of the extension and Boozer would agree to the extra couple million $$$ to be a trade chip...then that contract turns into a very valuable commodity going into 2015 free agency.

18. Sanity2disChaos

Damn.smh...! What's wrong with this cat.

19. Fantasma Negro

Why would he trade for a guy that he can sign in a couple of days for the vet minimum? If anything he's pushing for Gibson

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Bulls want more spacing and scoring, unlikely they will give up a shooter like McDermott, especially when Melo is NY bound now.

Mirotic actually falls in the same situation. If anything, it is Taj Gibson that the Bulls may be willing to let go as he has similar game to Gasol. Gibson would be a great fit for the Rockets, so would Mirotic. Bulls may be willing to deal if TJ is part of the return.