1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White on ESPN Outside the Lines, January 22nd

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gah, Jan 16, 2013.

1. gah

gah Member

UPDATE:

<a href="http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=7561829#post7561829">Full transcript of Jonathan Givony's comments</a> after the interview with Royce.

<HR>

OTL: Royce White - Mental Health and the NBA
    OTL [Outside the Lines] will be discussing Royce White on Tuesday, January 22 at 3 p.m. ET on ESPN.

<script src="http://player.espn.com/player.js?&playerBrandingId=4ef8000cbaf34c1687a7d9a26fe0e89e&pcode=1kNG061cgaoolOncv54OAO1ceO-I&width=576&height=324&externalId=espn:8847203&thruParam_espn-ui[autoPlay]=false&thruParam_espn-ui[playRelatedExternally]=true"></script>

Looks like a must watch. So is Royce White studying public speaking with all his extra-time? He was already good but that's the one area where I see #progress, This is as well spoken I've seen a rookie. He was actually managing to score some sympathy points with me... until I shook my head at his comments on the D-league assignment.

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

PC ESPN will be sympathetic to White and give him the attention he craves

will not watch

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Sorry all -- separating this out into a new thread because it is an upcoming show and interview.

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Royce still continues to paint his own vague, generalized picture of how the Rockets have handled him without giving any inside info to what is really going on.

I'm not expecting much of a change here.

1 person likes this.
  5. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

nothing that's happened is unrepairable. maybe royce's rookie year will be next year.

edit: i just watched the clip. sigh... man did mchale really wanna spend a first round pick on his attitude? you couldn't sniff this out in the evaluation process?

cut bait, his nervous jitters will infect the team.

#5 txppratt, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  6. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Some people with disabilities just cannot perform in certain careers (eg a person who cannot walk cannot be a police officer or firefighter).

Royce chose to enter the NBA with his disorder and signed a contract to play, and continues to expect the Rockets to bend over backwards for him. Until he cites something concrete that he spoke to the Rockets about before signing that contract and guaranteeing him millions, I am on the side of the Rockets.

1 person likes this.
  7. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Summary: "Im looked at with a business lens"..."Work is unsafe for me"..."The Rockets should just be willing to say I dont know in regards to mental health"..."#anxietytroopers"

miss anything else Joyce "Im not mental, but just bring awareness" White??? Freaking con-artist

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Who's Royce White?

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

What's the format of this show? Is it just an interview with him, or will they gets opinions of other people (including those within in the Rockets organization)?

10. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

wasn't that Twitter post from someone here? that's crazy

I still don't see why he doesn't answer my tweet, it was respectful and the truth, without any vulgar, yet he retweets all the vulgar ones.... :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  11. onreego

onreego Member

hopefully he cries

1 person likes this.
  12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Another freaking interview?

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

So... Business is about making money, and you want to cause awareness to the fact that we need to be more aware about mental health in the workplace???? WOW... thank you for enlightening us with that mind gaping thought on ESPN.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Wasn't that the guy who posted images of himself and his girl and then we photoshopped him wearing Kobe's weird witch hat?

15. cdain3

cdain3 Member

I'm still not sure what this guy wants. :confused:

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Royce really should go into politics. He's a master of obfuscation, platitudes, and straw men. Plus he has delusions of grandeur. I've never seen an athlete so polished at it (almost like he was coached). The media eats it up.

Problem is, while this might play well to Oprah's audience, they don't sign his paychecks.

His fifteen minutes are nearly up. Only thing left is the ADA lawsuit when the Rockets release him.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

The tweet they showed telling Royce to kill himself? Yeah, that was Abdul Siddiqui, a former member on here who was banned.

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

That guy was an idiot on this board as well. Sadly, tweets like that just serve to make the other idiot (Royce White) feel even more like he is persecuted and some kind of martyr. Which is why he likes to re-tweet them, while ignoring tweets which try to appeal to him to answer reasonable questions.

1 person likes this.
  19. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I wanted to unfollow him on twitter, but it gets interesting at times when he is in one of his "I need attention" moods. It's great. He should have his own TV show, Basketball Divas..

20. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Royce has real guts to look into the camera and say that his anxiety played a role in the Rockets' decision to send him to the D-League when the Rockets have sent every rookie they have this year to the D-League... and those are rookies that ATTENDED training camp.

Royce has good upside, but not INSANE upside. As far as NBA impact right now, he has a long, long ways to go and he hasn't shown a willingness to take Step 1. I think it's safe to completely write off this season and not much farther before you can dismiss his career.

While I don't think this is the Rockets' fault in any way, it is interesting that the D-League "demotion" has brought out the worst in Royce. The Rockets have been a pioneer in using the NBDL, but it has a stigma with first round picks who historically have considered it an insult (see: Roy Hibbert's reaction to Rockets suggesting the D-League for him). Knowing Royce's issues and that the D-League was a likely spot for him here with the Rockets, makes you wonder if things would be different for him and the team if someone else took him.

Longtime problem user here... been banned many times. He's got deep issues.

2 people like this.