1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I smell a rat - Tristan Thompson

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by basketballholic, Jul 10, 2015.

1. basketballholic

Keep an eye on this situation.

They were supposedly well on their way to a 4/70 max deal until Love re-committed. And then the wheels fell off this deal. Now Lebron has re-signed sans TT. Sure feels like they're leaving TT out in the cold now.

Remember, they've got to pay Mozgov next summer. I'm wondering if there's not a sign-and-trade brewing involving TT (and possibly Haywood together). Or if the Cavs have pulled their horns way in and are attempting to get him to sign cheap, maybe even for the QO, so they can possibly minimize their tax bill this year. Or maybe they're going to try to force him to sign a value contract that they can trade later in the season???

All-in-all just doesn't smell right. And if Love is going to be there sure looks like TT could be the odd man out since they most likely won't be able to trade Varajao for any kind of value.

2. malakas

malakas Member

his agent is Rich Paul. He did the same with Bledsoe. He is stupid and doesn't care if his client has other offersheets. Push comes to shove he will make him play on QO and then he will test the market and get dissapointed. Lebron hasn't signed yet the contract only agreed to it btw. He said he will sign on..his anniversary of return lol

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

you are really stretching it on that metaphor.

4. OpenLayup-Why3?

umm why? :confused:

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Is Tristan Thompson that 3rd star we'v been searching for?

How does D-mo, Jones, Dekker and a future first sound + fillers (Papa/Prigs) sound? ;)

PG: Beverley / Terry
    SG: Harden / McDaniels
    SF: Ariza / Brewer
    PF: Thompson / Smith
    C : Howard / Capela

CHAMPIONSHIP. Du IT Murey.

6. basketballholic

Yeah but the conflict of interest here is Paul is Lebron's agent. And above anything else Paul is representing Lebron and Lebron's opportunity to win a championship in Cleveland. I can see them hanging TT out to dry as part of that scheme if it meant they got a better fitting piece to work with.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

After signing Kevin Love for $110 million, I don't see how the Cavs can break the bank with TT also. Maybe LeBron came to his senses and decided the Cavs should do what's best for them instead of TT.

Last time I checked, TT and Love played the same position. In reality, LeBron is a better PF than either of them. You can't give $70 million to a bench player.

8. macho87

macho87 Member

Something does stink.. might be your posts

1 person likes this.
  9. aumate

aumate Member

He signed it today. He's on promotional tour for Trainwreck so he wanted to get it out of the way.

10. lionaire

lionaire Member

TT for DeRozan

11. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I was under the impression Thompson and Lebron were buds and history suggest Lebron gets what he wants in terms of FA acquisitions. I have a hard time thinking they ship out Thompson but you never know - maybe Lebron thinks Joe Johnson is what his team needs. The ball is completely in Lebron's court.

12. Airdough

Airdough Member

OP is right that this is interesting but not sure this is the Cavs messing around with Thompson. Many reasons a contract could get held up.

13. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

So who's the rat in this situation?

14. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

bbhaulic hears/reads something elsewhere, then posts it and see if it happens.

1 person likes this.
  15. malakas

malakas Member

well since he signed it then maybe even Lebron thinks that the deal TT got should be enough and he should just take it and be content.
    I don't see anyone s+t for the likes of TT.

16. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Besides offensive rebounding and being tall, does Tristan Thompson possess ANY high-level NBA skills?

I mean, I guess he's a good finisher, but not Greg Smith/Brandan Wright-level good.

17. Down19

Down19 Contributing Member

There's no way on the face of the earth that Tristan Thompson is a star. He's now become arguably the most overrated player in the NBA with all the talk about he's a max player

18. Down19

Down19 Contributing Member

He finishes well after the rebound but other than that no. He's better than Smith and Wright tho at finishing

19. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Good post. Didn't realize he hadn't signed yet.

20. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Someone might need a refresher on what that expression means