1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anybody know about or had shoulder surgery...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GotGame15, Jul 3, 2008.

1. GotGame15

GotGame15 Member

...to tighten the labrum so that it wouldn't keep dislocating? I need opinions and help! I'm 23 and my left shoulder always keeps popping out, each time it happens it gets easier to pop out. Whenever I hoop now, im too afraid to jump or reach in the air with my left arm because I know it will happen again. And my game is very aggressive so im just running around with one arm all the time, which isnt very effective lol. It's gotten to the point where last week i did a couple breast strokes in the water and it popped out again :mad: ! So ya, i got a couple friends that have gone through with the surgery (one that did orthoscopic some one that did open cut). I just wanted to see yalls opinions and experiences based on this.

What kind of surgery its called, how long were u in a sling, how long you have to stay off it, how long will your shoulder be strong (post-surgery), any complications, best time of the year to do it, good doctors, etc?????? Thanks guys.

2. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I had surgery back in october of 2005 to repair a torn labrum because of a basketball injury. Good news is you are back at home by noon.

Surgery is your best option. That's the only way to prevent it from popping out again. I was in a sling for a month if I recall.

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I had a titanium staple placed in my right shoulder arthroscopically in the late 1980’s. The surgery was definitely worth it. There was a slight loss of range of motion when I stretch my arm backwards, and the arm sits a little bit tighter against the body than the right one. Neither of these is noticeable unless I look specifically for them.

If I were a professional baseball pitcher and it was my pitching arm I probably would have opted for the open surgery. But since that isn’t true, I am absolutely happy with what I got. After the surgery I played all kinds of sports with no problems so getting the less invasive surgery wasn't any kind of hindrance.

As far as the particulars, the pain was gone within a week. The shoulder was in the sling for about two months, though much of that time was only because the doctor told me I needed it there – it felt well much sooner. I still have 3 tiny scars from the arthroscopic entry points, and that is really the only thing to ever remind me that I had the surgery. The surgery was nearly 20 years ago, and the shoulder is as strong as it was when it was first repaired.

4. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

Mine was like that for about a year. Coming out very often. One day it just stopped and hasn't happened since (about 2 years). :confused:

5. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

is your name Rick?