1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Suit questions

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Apps, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Apps

Apps Member

Do you guys wear American flag lapel pins on your suit jacket lapels? Is this something traditionally reserved for politicians only? How would you feel if someone wore a lapel pin of another country's flag but still identified themselves as American?

Also, do you prefer your lapel notched or peaked? Is there a specific time/place for one or the other in your opinion?

Do you wear a tie? Do you feel a tie is absolutely necessary to complete a Western suit ensemble? What knot do you use if you do use a tie?

2. Apps

Apps Member

Forgot to add, what fabric do you prefer on your suit? Do you prefer a single-breasted suit or double-breasted?

3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Do you love America? If so, the answer should be self explanatory.

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Dress codes are getting weird nowadays. Everyone outside of finance or law is business casual; get into energy or any quasi-industrial field and it's blue jeans and untucked shirts. For job interviews nowadays, I either pull the suit separates or the dress shirt with a tie and a sweater vest, so it doesn't look like I just left the jacket in the car.

No lapels that aren't seasonal or culturally/organizationally specific to you; otherwise it prompts questions that start weird conversations that go nowhere, or end quickly with "no."

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

notched, four in hand

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I mean, no lapel pins.

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

8. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

It would make their divided loyalties clear. I'd treat such a person the way I do Chris Kaman (like a lost puppy... demanding it get the **** out).

#8 arkoe, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  9. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

Ties are so old school, its all about bolos, lots of bolos.

10. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Wear a Rockets lapel pin. Actually if you wear a Texans pin it'll pay dividends in Houston. (seriously speaking)

11. LANIMIRC

LANIMIRC Member

No lapel pin. Wool. Notched lapel is more conservative, peak is somewhat trendier. Wear a tie.

and half windsor knot :cool:

12. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

I hate dressing up but suit without tie = doing it wrong. Have some class you savages.

13. Apps

Apps Member

So you give an unconditional "no" to cravats and bow ties?

14. Nook

Nook Member

Wool
    Dark colored
    Double breasted if you are tall and fat.
    Doesn't matter too much on the style if knot you use as long as tied well and not sloppy
    With most suits go with a tie
    Bowties are for clowns
    Make sure the suit fits properly, otherwise you will look like a hobo

15. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Flag lapel pins are tacky outside of politics, and as the years since 9/11 go by I think their popularity will decline further.

Notch lapels are more versatile since peak lapels don't seem appropriate on business suits; peak lapels will be better suited for tuxedos/dinner jackets, however I prefer shawl lapels.

I always wear a tie at work, but sometimes when I go out I just wear a casual, trendy suit with no tie. I typically use a four-in-hand and Pratt knot since I wear narrow collars and slim suits, although when wearing a broad collar shirt and a thick tie I use a Windsor.

16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I wear a flag, an eagle, a Harley logo, dale #3, and make sure that everyone is aware of my Latin Jesus tramp stamp.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i wear a tshirt with an Irish flag on it sometimes....I didn't realize I was calling my U.S. citizenship into question :)

18. Rockets1988-

Rockets1988- Member

I've got some Houston Rockets championship logo cuff links that are pretty sweet. When i'm going for a major deal, i put them on for good luck.

19. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

If you're working the booth at the forth of July festival, then you'd look fine.

Otherwise you'd look like an idiot in the office.

And another country's flag? Even dumber idea.

20. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Unconditional, automatic and with fervor.