1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Injuries on the floor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Camarograna2, Feb 15, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Camarograna2

Camarograna2 Contributing Member

Hi everyone.

Been watching b ball since 95 and although I live in DFW I still follow my team through league pass. Just want to prove a point that I'm a fan and watch games all the years. That being said why doesn't the NBA or its own players Implement the good sportsmanship rule of when someone gets injured on the floor. This rule also comes with the rule that the last team that has the ball keeps it. How it works is like right now when Harden fell down and seemed injured then OKC player should of thrown it out. Then once back in action Hou would be required to throw it back to them in the backcourt of course.

It seems ridiculous that these players are so selfish to get numbers that they would risk other players, including their own players, from getting more injured by being stepped on. Even worst someone can sprain themselves stepping on the down player.

2. jboslett

jboslett Member

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

It's the culture of one sport v another. Soccer v basketball. I understand the question, and I'll still take the NBA.

4. Camarograna2

Let's not make this about the difference in sports or start deviating and talking about what sport is better.

Are they selfish, dumb, or am I just way off in thinking player safety is important?

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

This reminds me when Carmelo got knocked unconscious and JR Smith tried to use him as a pick to score lol.

6. VBG

VBG Member

Except Harden was fine and just being a b****

7. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

It encourages flopping.

8. Scolandry

Scolandry Member

Only sport where i'm concerned about player safety is Football. Basketball doesn't need to implement a "give-a-free flop" rule. Already tired of the constant flopping by every team in the league, no need to promote it much further.

9. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6DCJXYbBB7w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sad that JR gave up the biggest idiot in the league crown to JaVale McGee.

As to the giving up of the ball; as far as I know, it's an unofficial rule in soccer, more of a show of sportsmanship. Secondly, in soccer, the game is a whole heck of a lot slower, and losing a player isn't as big of a deal. If a player goes down with an injury in basketball, it's virtually guaranteed that the other team is going to score playing 5 on 4. Teams can play to a 0-0 tie in soccer even if the other team has 2 extra men on the field. When a team gives up a surefire goal in the name of an injured player on the other team, let me know.

10. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Unfortunately, that's the nba.... outside of a few players, the vast majority have no class. Just look at all the flopping... and I'm not talking about exaggerating contact, I mean flat out pretending contact was made where none happened... 'good sportsmanship' - not in today's nba. :(

11. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

What's DFW?

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

Dallas - Forth Worth area if I'm correct.

13. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Haha never mind!

I guess everyone has that dumbass moment every once in awhile lol

14. Burko

Burko Member

In a game like soccer where the ball can be in play for 5-10minutes at a time, it is correct for a system of stopping play for injuries be implemented whereby the team with possession kicks into touch to allow treatment to take place.

For basketball where there are breaks in play every 20 odd seconds i dont see a problem with how it is currently handled. Ball goes dead, ref's call time.

Changing it would allow for flops/cheating on crucial plays.

15. VBG

VBG Member

Yeah, like football where defensive players fake injuries to slow down a no huddle offense.

16. Camarograna2

You bring up a good point about the time issues. My theory would be that the team had the ball would still get it back but that could kill 5 sec. When the game on the line and have few sex left my policy would be bad.

Still though I thought it was really stupid that Okc continued to play while their player was down. Then they went straight at the basket where he was lying and our 2 players fell down. It would of been a horrible loss if our players would have gotten injured.

17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I think it has to do with the shot clock.

18. Burko

Burko Member

If the team who has the injured player has the ball, then they can call a timeout, thats not a problem.

I'd just worry that if it was a kind of gentlemans agreement type thing to give the ball back off an opposition injury/intentional out of bounds that it could be abused.

19. coweye

coweye Member

There is no sportmanship anymore!!! Doesn't matter what sport you're fan of. It is a business.Or doeas anybody think a player would tell the ref there was no foul with the game on the line??? I've seen it once in soccer and guess what... the player got benched for his sportmanship.He never played another game under this coach.

20. Burko

Burko Member