1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bulls' Gordon Set To Take Qualifying Offer

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by batkins, Sep 29, 2008.

1. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...n-chicago-bulls-training-camp,0,5701537.story

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think most of us following the long saga knew this would happen. Next, the Bulls will trade him during the season to a playoff contender before the deadline.

3. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

So now he will have the 3 million (roughly) difference to try to recoup in the future since he took the qualifying offer rather than having accepted whatever previous long term offers the Bulls had made to him.

Even without doing <I>Future Value</I> calculations, he is painting himself into a financial corner that will be difficult for him to overcome.* His new philosophy must be that his next contract will be large enough to compensate for the lower current qualifying offer (versus the previous long term offers) that it appears that he will take. Overall, Gordon has likely lost on a long term financial basis because I don't think his next (signed in 2009) contract will be large enough to overcome his more recent decisions.

<hr>

* Bonzi Wells and Latrell Sprewell made some contract miscalculations and it is quite possible that Gordon will have also made a miscalculation. Notably different than the financial decisions facing average Americans.

4. Asian Sensation

Very dangerous. Just look what happened to Bonzi Wells among others. You also risk the possibility of a serious injury. Like there's really that big of a difference between 10amillion a year and 12 million. I can't really see a team paying Ben more than 10 million a year anyways even if he does have a "breakout" year. Heck, I don't think he can even have a breakout year since he's already reached his peak. Greed.... the root of all things bad.

5. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

Yeah, he's only getting paid $6.4 million for a year of work, how is he ever going to get his finances back in order? He'll be living paycheck to paycheck.

6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Yeah, I bet he hates Luol Deng right now, Deng basically got the extension he wanted.

Crazy talk here, but Francis, Head, and Hayes' salaries could prolly match that qualifying offer Ben is about to sign. At what point does Paxson get desperate and take a lowball offer like that? He's going to lose Ben after this year anyways. We get a one year and playoff rental in Ben and if we can't resign him (most likely we can't) just more money to resign Artest.

Ok, commence shoot the idea down.

What an original witty post. You are a genius among neanderthals.

7. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Honestly, I don't think Ben Gordon will get his 5 yr $60m that he hopes next year. I just don't think other teams value him the way the Bulls do. Streak shooter, good scorer, non All-Star. What did Turkeyglue get? I think it was 3 yrs $21m...and Gordon is valued less than him imo, but Turkey broke out...I'll say the best offer Gordon will get next year is 5 yrs $45, and that's even if he gets to 20ppg.

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

actually, i don't think it has to be a playoff contender. a team hoping for the inside track to sign this guy could make a move for him. i'm thinking along the lines of:

gordon to okc for wilcox.

gordon and a larger contract (nocioni?) to the wolves for endings and maybe a pick.

gordon to toronto for bargnani.

9. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

No sympathy for Ben Gordon. Someone should learn the lesson the hard way.

10. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Gordon = FAIL

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I blame restricted free agency. I don't think the Players' Union should tolerate it in the next CBA.