1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce Gracie vs. Matt Hughes - UFC

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by MoBalls, May 26, 2006.

?

Who will win at UFC 60?

Poll closed May 31, 2006.
  1. Royce Gracie

20 vote(s)
    46.5%
  2. Matt Hughes

23 vote(s)
    53.5%
  1. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

Who are you going for? Im gonna stay old school and go for for Royce. Matt Hughes may be younger and stronger, but if Royce gets him on the ground, its over. Im a big fan of Matt though, but Ive actuall y seen Royce in action and he looks awesome. Good Luck to both.

http://60.ufc.com/

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Royce Gracie 'cuz I don't know Matt. :D

And YOU would vote Gracie, 'cuz when I mowed your lawn I peeked in your window and you were making love to your Gracie doll. You 'memmer?

3. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

Royce is a legend. I hope he wipes the floor with Matt.

4. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

I think I am rooting for Royce as he seems the underdog in this match. Anyways I would love to watch this on pay-per-view when is it?

J

5. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

ummm, hate to break it to the people who voted for Gracie but, Matt is going to wipe the floor with him... probably make it look real easy too. If Gracie was an excellent striker I would give him a strikers chance but Matt's ground and pound and submissions are the best in the game right now in that division.

Hughes is one of the few (maybe only) fighters in the UFC that could go to Pride and dominate.

6. nomorewords

nomorewords Member

I'm rooting for Matt solely because I hope he's on a winning streak when he faces Georges St. Pierre and GSP beats his ass!!

7. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I agree.

8. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

I say Matt will take it. I don't know if he could go to Pride and dominate. Most UFC stars go there and get beat. The level on competition must be on another level or maybe it is a case of not having the cage to use over there or something.

9. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I'll be watching this. Would like to see Gracie pull it out, but I think Hughes is going to stomp him.

10. hkomives

hkomives Member

Royce's father became the greatest fighter in Brazil at 5'6" 140 lbs. To accomplish that he had to develop Gracie Jujitsu. That fighting system enables little guys to defend themselves without having to throw a punch.

Even in Royce's losses he never got smacked hard in the face, he knows how to play defense. That's why to this day he has so many fans and this fight is so important.

I'd be happy if he played great defense win or lose.

11. Summer Song Giver

I like both fighters and I'll just be happy watching this one, need a good fight after my boy Orlovsky got his handed to him last month.

Christ, Diesel Riggs is on the card again; I swear he is the WWF equivelant to some no-name scrub run out to job to the real fighters. Mark Mike Swick down for a win :D

Hope Diego wins as well, he is a monster from what I have seen.

12. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

Never give your back to your opponent. This is exactly how Royce got caught. Matt looked great on the ground. Im glad the ref stopped it when he did, those blows to the head looked painful. I still have to give props to Royce coming up and taking on the best of UFC. Looks like he wants to keep fighting also. Hughes deserves to be champ.

13. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I give the gracies credit for popularizing NHB fighting but they are the most over rated bunch ever. The only one that is really any good is Rickson and he's almost 50 now.

Royce has never beaten anyone good. In todays MMA world you have to be an athlete and versatile. If your opponent knows your game, it is too easy to beat you.

If you look at Sakuraba, he's beaten like 4 gracies including Royce and Relson but he's loss 9 times in his career.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

We were all rooting hard for Royce, but he was clearly way outmatched -- just didn't have the strength to do anything. The guy has freaking HEART though -- when RG got out of the that arm hold that had his elbow bending way out of whack... :eek: A mortal man would have tapped out right there.

16. TracyMcCrazyeye

i saw the special on spike tv about the preparation of the fighters, and i must say, hughes had a huge advantage because of how he trained. this man is a beast and just too big for gracie to handle. how long did the match last? 2 minutes?

17. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I want Gracie to win... but I'm reeeaaaallly thinking Hughes will win.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You do realize it was over last night? ;)

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

He's definitely not too big for him to handle, just too good. Gracie has faced guys that were way bigger than Hughes (Dan Severn comes to mind - he outweighed him by probably 80 lbs). Hughes has more muscle and was stronger, but when you look at the 2, Gracie is actually bigger - he's about 3 or 4 inches taller.

I wanted Gracie to win, but there was no way, so I was hoping he'd make it a competitive match. I heard the interview with Matt afterewards and he mentioned he heard the arm cracking and he looked up at the ref as if to say "it's cracking" but there was no way Gracie was going to tap out.

20. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

[QUOTE
    Hughes is one of the few (maybe only) fighters in the UFC that could go to Pride and dominate.[/QUOTE]

Gomi can go to UFC'S lightweight division and dominate, but why should he since they prboaly cant pay him what he wants to fight inferior opponents.

other than welter weight , Pride's talent pool would woop UFC