1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

draft thread,

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gbritton, May 9, 2005.

Tags:
?

who could we likely draft that would help our depth and age issues

1. channing frye

11 vote(s)
    5.1%
  2. sean may

40 vote(s)
    18.7%
  3. joey graham

16 vote(s)
    7.5%
  4. hakim warrick

81 vote(s)
    37.9%
  5. cj miles (high schooler from texas)

10 vote(s)
    4.7%
  6. fransico garcia

16 vote(s)
    7.5%
  7. ronny turiaf

23 vote(s)
    10.7%
  8. some other guy

17 vote(s)
    7.9%
  1. gbritton

gbritton Contributing Member

well now that we are in the offseason we have a lot concerns about the lineup. the obvious is the lack of depth at the pf position and a quick swingman to come off the bench...
    also do yal think there is a chance we can trade our expiring contracts for a higher draft pick?
    if thats possible, that would be real nice to increase our chances of finding a quality pf out of the draft.

2. RocketsFAN3035

I picked Turriaff because he can bang inside and board, but has a nice jumper too. I think a good complment to Yao, and can learn from JHoward.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Don't forget about Wayne Simien. Probably the best rebounder in the draft next to Bogut.

4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

5. Simon Honeybone

I had to vote SOG too because I think Wayne Semien is the best choice if available at 24.

6. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

If Channing Frye is still available at 24, I'd be shocked. Then I'd snap him up so fast it would make your head spin.

I'm becoming less and less enamored with Turiaf and Semien -- I think they're late first rounders for a reason.

I'm sick of undersized PFs, so no Warrick.

So I'm going with Francisco. Gets us size, athleticism, and lights-out shooting on the perimeter.

And, I know I'm a broken record on this, but I'd take Kennedy Winston who I think could be a Gerald Wallace type.

7. New Jack

New Jack Member

Warrick would be ideal. Extremely athletic and long. Having a second shotblocker on the floor next to Yao would help keep him out of foul trouble. With his quick feet, he can chase down those long rebounds that Yao is too slow to get to. He's got the versatility to play the 2, 3, or 4 position. That's one the things this team lacks, versatility. When I see him play, I think Robert Horry.

8. Sir Geving

Sir Geving Contributing Member

Robert Horry? Not at all. Warrick is just another Darius Miles. Very athletic but no jump shot.

9. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

This team needs a Darius Miles type player who can rebound, defend 3 positions, and run. If you take Darius Miles with the 3rd pick in the draft, you're a chump. But if you take him with the 24th pick in the draft, that's a steal. So if we could get Warrick at 24, I'd be thrilled.

10. AlexVanderpool

Definately TURIAF!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is a rebounding, banging, powerful enforcer in the Charles Oakley mold (without the thuggery) with a decent midrange jumper.

He can be the perfect role-playing compliment to yao and a fixture in our frontcourt for a decade!!!

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Should we try and be drafting a PF instead of getting one immediately?

Even if we draft one.. it will still be 2-3 more years before he's effective.. not that McGrady and Yao are old, but contracts don't last forever..

12. 03TxAg

03TxAg Member

I know I am a homer, but Antoine Wright would be a great athletic wingman (that is if we address PF via free-agency). We need to get more athletic, that is evident after the series with Dallas.

13. AlexVanderpool

Thats exactly why i want Turiaf...nba ready body and 4 years of winning experience against decent competetion.

14. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I voted "some other guy" because I would like to get Wayne Semien.

If not, I'd be more than happy with Turiaf. He's a great all around PF who can score but is used to not being a 1st or 2nd scoring option. He has a great attitude and would be a great JVG type guy.

It's about 55/45 Semien/Turiaf as far as I'm concerned.

#14 ClutchCityReturns, May 9, 2005
    Last edited: May 9, 2005
  15. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Of all those guys I like May the best, I think a lot of us do, but he just doesn't complement Yao... he would compete with him.

Toss-up between Turiaf and Warrick. I chose Turiaf.

16. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

I would really like to see us try to acquire some more first rounders. Forget about Swift and all these overpriced forwards. We need to add youth to run with Tmac. We came only a game away from the second round. If at least one of these draft picks amount to anything it could get us over. We need to start thinking about getting younger. The draft is so deep this year we may be able to solve a few of our problems with a long term solution. I'd rather do that than bring in a bandaid that is past his prime. Couldn't some of our expiring contracts land us a pick or two? I'd really like to bring in Garcia for his athleticism and scoring at the two. And of course Turiaf is very interesting as well.

17. sun12

sun12 Member

This draft will be very important down the road, it keeps the salary in check because the player comes cheap, and it adds youth and speed. If CD and JVG screw it up, it will be very bad.

FA is relatively easy to identify because all of them are relatively well-known.

18. hooroo

hooroo Member

19. leehoang

leehoang Member

Deron Williams.

20. WasabiTheNinjaPimp

WasabiTheNinjaPimp Contributing Member

I really like Simien and Turiaf, both seem to be what we need, in that they're good sized PFs who can get to the ball.