1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

E.G.'s progress

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WLH, Aug 14, 2003.

Tags:
  1. WLH

WLH Member

I do not live in Houston and get much Rocket's news from this forum. Has Griffin been hitting the weights pretty hard? Has he bulked up? Has Van Gundy said what he plans for him? I appreciate any answers.

2. cparka

cparka Member

I don't know what he's been doing during the summer.. but Van Gundy hasn't said anything about anything at all as of yet. Sorry, but getting 'nothing' for an answer is still better than no answer...

3. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Why is there never any talk of sending EG to Pete Newell's Big Man's Camp or something approximating?

4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Eddie could be so key. I've read that he was a hard worker in highschool and college. They say most players need 3 years to show their stuff in the NBA. Give Eddie another year at least because he was 19, but it is still discouraging not to know if he can be a really good starter in the league. It is always posssible that he has had a hard time psychologically adjusting to the NBA, aside from his lack of strength and bulk.

Given his total domination in college as a freshman, you would have to pick him as an eventual big time player, but the first two years do raise doubts. I say keep him. We just have to know for sure before discarding his potential talent.

5. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

Yeah, I too want to keep him around. Even if he doesn't live up to the potential that we have put on him, I think JVG can find some use for him. Maybe in the form of our very own, less injuried, Camby.

6. Friendly Fan

Friendly Fan PinetreeFM60 Exposed

preach it my brotha, as Calvin would say

That young man looked like he was lost in the shuffle last year, the one year old who suddenly had a new baby brought home by mommy and daddy. everyone was ooo-ing and ahhh-ing over the new baby, and little mister got ignored.

It hurts my eyes to watch his shooting form. It was better his first year. now he has that tornado spin with the push from his left hand, and the trajectory is abysmal.

calvin murphy is a genius when it comes to shot dynamic and form. he could fix those problems.

#6 Friendly Fan, Aug 14, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2003
  7. Nova

Nova Member

Ah, our own less injured Camby... hell, I would love that!

8. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Eddie has been hitting the weights BIG TIME this summer!!!

Check out the latest pic of him:
    [​IMG]

Whats up with those glasses though??

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Is this not TMo to a 'T'?

10. tubasound

tubasound Member

just keep him. Kenny Thomas is already gone just to make room for him and Mo Taylor is not the best PF in the world. As most of the Youngsters coming in the NBA (except Amare) all he needs is time and the oportunity to strenghten his mind. He just hasn't found his place yet (SF or PF...). The next few months he should spend on Venice Beach and his highschool gym practising Js and he'll be alright...

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Practicing J's or smoking J's?

Seriously, I am looking forward to seeing how the JVG era helps EG develop.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Too true. Remember last summer, the BBS was in "an uproar" ;) over Cato not going to Newell's camp or ANY big-man's camp. Or was that the summer before? (both?!?)

We have been shirking our duties.
    What tha hell is Eddie Griffin doing and why the hell isn't he doing more of it??

(whatever it is...)

13. tubasound

tubasound Member

Well if patterson comes to town, smoking Js can be a factor in the rockets locker room. Remember, Phil Jackson threw him out of the team because he was too stupid to understand the triangle. It's all about the mental aspect of the young players. They have the talent (exept D-Miles), but the head decides so much. Youngsters like Griffin need the feeling of being needed in the teams progress. If one has the coaches confidence, the Js start falling. But its time now for Eddie to show up...

14. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I agree. When you bring in a guy like EG, you are supposed to mold him.

The team that makes this choice and then trades him away before the benefits are failing.

I wish we had a veteran inside big man coming off the bench that could convince this kid of what his true potential is. Only then will he become the master.;)

15. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

I'll say , EG's success would be relying much on the gym and work ethics.

16. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I am just curious if anyone actually knows of any real Pete Newell success stories? I always here of the Pete Newell camp for big men but I never here of anyone that gained anything significant from it.

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Where does EG spend his summers? NY? Philly? Westside???

18. shuttle

shuttle Member

This is a very good point that is continously ignored. Wasn't it reported that EG's brother died last summer or during the season. I know I've read that EG's brother was his inspiration and always pushed him to work hard in high school and college.

19. JamesC

JamesC Member

His brother died right before his rookie season.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No, but it's a hope that sustains us... like unicorns or something.

;)