1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Markieff Morris Tweets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RedNation97, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

That makes sense to me. His game fits with what it looks like they're trying to do. And he's young enough to grow with Lilliard.

2. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

....the problem with that deal is even if you believe Morris/pick is better than KJ/Wood/Jones(I don't), you still have to figure in the opportunity cost of losing our insurance policy against shipping one of Brewer or Ariza out of town to upgrade significantly. Right now those guy's salaries(and Beverly) would be the highest salaries we could move without messing with our core. If KJ is moved you lose that cheap replacement for one of Ariza or Brewer. In order to get another big time player, they are going to have to have a combination of useful players on cheap contracts to balance out the more expensive contracts and KJ fits that bill perfectly. You don't throw that talent/contract into a trade just to make salaries work unless you really think Morris is the missing piece and I don't think even the most optimistic here think he is anything more than a medium-ish upgrade at best over Jones or Dmo.

3. Mr Chuck Norris

well that's where the first round pick comes in....KJ is just as unproven as the first round pick. However it'll be a good idea to make this move in January so we can possibly see what we have in KJ. Or maybe try to squeeze RJ warren out of Phoenix.

4. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...but that's the whole point - you can't wait until January if the player is already out there saying, I won't play for this team anymore. They have to move him if for no other reason than he's a distraction to the team. His value is only going to get lower the longer this drags on so there is no reason for Phoenix to wait until Houston has had a chance to take a look at KJ.

I think KJ has shown he can be at very least a situational role player and that's about all you expect from lotto protected first rounder. He hasn't proven much, but he has proven he can defend 2nd unit guys and rebound well for his position on the NBA level and that he can finish in the open court. The pick gives you the chance at a player who could be as good as KJ or better - but the odds are much higher you'll end up with a guy out of the league in a few years - on other words, someone worse than KJ.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I think you have to look at upside too. I feel Markieff pretty much is what he is.

DMo is a 7foot Euro. It is not surprising if he peaks a little later, and with his post game, passing, size and shooting he has way more potential.

TJones is the youngest of the three and the most athletic and efficient. I'd rather see if he can refine his game to complement his finishing skills.

It also isn't good that Markieff dropped off last year and is acting like a headcase. Having a somewhat cheap contract for longer doesn't automatically make him a good value. I'd rather see what Harrell and even Dekker can offer at the 4.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Agreed. Even if, for argument's sake, that Morris, Motiejunas, and Jones are all on about the same level, I'd take DMo and Jones over Morris for three reasons. One, our guys have more potential. Two, our guys don't have attitude issues. Three, we don't have to deal with our guys' twin brothers.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Those same reasons are reasons Jones and Motie probably won't be Rockets after this season. They will const too much based on potential.

You are renting these guys

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't be surprised if one of DMo and Jones was traded before the deadline. And that also means that they are better trade assets than Morris would be.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They are only renting one of them, the other they'll likely pay since they have full Bird rights. DMo at 15 mil is preferable to Morris at 8 mil.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Not to Morey who has always valued flexibility over talent.

11. DMO (DJ remix)

Ikr, if he had cap space would trade Harden for Giannis asap.

1 person likes this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There is no more flexibility once a team is set and you don't just pick up cheap scrubs because they are cheap.

13. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Dekker looks like a misfit.

14. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

This right here will not work.

15. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

This has been discussed ad nauseam. He's a terrible fit. Atrocious. But, yeah, sure, if he gets Josh Smith-ed he's worth signing.

For a minimum salary player, it's a worthwhile gamble given his poor reputation and the fact that his offensive game is the antithesis of what we're looking for from the 4 position.

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

He is not an atrocious fit.

I don't know where you guys come up with this stuff.

17. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

A mid-range guy that can't hit the corner three and doesn't draw many fouls.

Atrocious fit.

18. RedNation97

RedNation97 Member

Haha I'm in Australia mate! We're a few hours ahead of you guys.

19. hakeemthagreat

I love statements like these that make absolutely no sense. Markieff is a better basketball player than both Jones & DMo at this point. Jones & DMo are both more traditional PF's with "potential", but Morris has contributed more and has the toughness Jones & DMo lack

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There is literally no case for Kieff over DMo and if you look at the numbers, you'll realize that.

They both rebound about the same, DMo is a better defender, Kieff can't hit the 3, DMo has the clear advantage in the paint....basically the only think Kieff really has over DMo is FT shooting and usage.