1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SI.com TOP 100 players of 2016

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OpenLayup-Why3?, Aug 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

Kevin Durant at 2 and he didnt even play last year lol

2. Exiled

Exiled Member

Harden or Curry deserve #1

LBJ& KD are overrated at this point

3. OpenLayup-Why3?

So? This list is not for last season, it's for the upcoming season.

4. the shark

the shark Member

:eek:

5. marky :)

marky :) Member

LBJ is far from overrated.

6. bberge

bberge Member

i think the spurs and heat are the only other teams besides the Rockets with the entire starting 5 in the top 100. If parker hadn't slipped a bit, the Spurs would have their starting five within the top 50 :rolleyes:

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I would be willing to bet that if you polled all 30 GM's every single GM would choose D-Mo on their respective contracts right now if you asked them.

Yeah he's currently a more productive player, but you add in and factor-

-Potential to improve
    -attitude/off-court issues
    -on-court attitude issues
    -size to play the 5
    -contract/ability to match this summer
    -Cheap year this year

and IMO its a no-brainer.

8. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

I think Draymond is incredibly overrated here. Yes he is a great role player on a great team that hides a lot of his weaknesses. But he should not even be in the top 20. He is not even the 3rd best player on his team let alone top 20. Freaking Bull.

I know many here will disagree with me on this but I think harden should be ahead of curry. Curry is a great player. But let's remember he didn't improve all that much. It's his team around him that improved. He just gets the credit for it. Curry never had to worry about defenses swarming him like harden. He had guys like iggy, Klay, Livingston to take that pressure off him. Because of his great team around him, he is able to play for freely.

I think the NBA and media are trying way too hard to promote him as the next big thing. The media tries to cover up the bad and promote the good for curry. Harden never had a chance to win MVP to begin with. I think even if the rockets were in 1st place, the NBA would still crown curry. There were plenty of games this year where curry is just awful. He was turning the ball over constantly, making bad decisions and could not buy a bucket. But his team was great enough that they were still up by double digits easily. Then late in the 3rd quarter or 4th when he finally start draining a few wide open 3s, the commentator would go off and say just how great of a player he is and how easy he's making it.

I forgot the game but I remember specifically when curry was god awful throughout the game. But Klay Thompson and Livingston was carrying the team and they were up 12 I think. It wasn't until midway through the 4th quarter when curry finally hit a wide open 3, the commentator freaking said Curry has lead his team all year and it's no difference tonight. Without curry tonight, the Warriors would not have a chance to win.... Freaking ridiculous

9. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Curry is great lets get that out the way but it does seem like the talking heads are propping him up to almost Lebron status. What I think bothers me the most is that it does seem that harden and curry for right or wrong get bunched together and its almost like they gotta put harden down to further there agenda on why curry is so much better.

The whole Currys game is beautiful and Hardens game is ugly and hard to watch. Curry plays fantastic defense and has really improved were as harden has committed to defense this year but he's still just average and gets put on the weakest assignment as if thats not what GSW does for curry also.

27/7/6 with 2 steals and almost 1blk those are transcendent all time numbers and it seems the media is sort of taking it for granted like it's not that impressive.

23/7//4 with 2 steals is fantastic but outside of the shooting has been done a lot more times than the numbers above.

I'm not dogging curry but his team is extremely talented which is not his fault but it also makes it a lot easier to get all those open looks for easy jumpers. He's a great player but I really don't think you switch curry and harden that the rockets win 56 games but I do think the Warriors with harden still win 63+ and also take home the title.

Obviously it's a stupid argument but I think 5 years from now one player is still going to be leading a top flight team with MVP numbers while the other is still good but on the downside of his career and not on a top flight team and that person is curry.

Harden should be able to avg 25/6/6 for the next 5-8 years easy until he's 33-34 years old his game is tailored for aging well and with his strength he should be able to only get better as he adds a post game. Once Currys speed even drops a little he will be more of a spot up shooter that the guy crossing over into step back 3s.

10. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I'll actually make the argument that Ariza is too low.

Given that 90% of Draymond Green's value is due to intangibles, the logic behind placing Green at 16th overall should apply to Ariza as well. Anybody that follows both teams know the immense value of both players. Both are each respective team's workhorses and unshung heroes. The catalysts that arguably propelled each team from first round fodder to deep playoff run teams. There's not that much of a disparity between the two players.

That said, as much as I love Green's game, he's ranked too high. But the point still remains that the gap between Ariza and Green is much smaller than these rankings suggest.

11. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

I respectfully disagree. I think a lot of people are not grasping just how much of a bargain Markieff's contract is at this point. Given the new cap increases, 8 million a year is going to be MLE type money, or even less. While I think your argument about D-Mo having more upside is totally valid, he's on an expiring contract and it's not hard to fathom at all that with a complete season of improved performance, he might get a MAX deal in the offseason. Markieff's contract is 8 years per for what, another 3 seasons?

You can argue their abilities as players, but I think it's difficult to suggest that D-Mo's contract is superior RIGHT NOW.

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Anthony Davis is becoming overrated. He still isn't an alpha scorer, and can't carry his team to victories. Shouldn't be ahead of Curry, Harden or Paul.

1 person likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Give me popcorn and a flick to watch.... this might get entertaining

14. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Reminds me 2 seasons ago when Harden got 1st team All-NBA and Curry didn't...Ethan Strauss the next morning wrote a targeted, scathing article bashing Harden harshly on ESPN.com like he blamed Harden.. I know he's a GS beat writer but it was seriously very unprofessional and I don't know why the other journalists never called him out.

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Harden's not the Golden Boy. Curry is. It is what it is...

16. KelvinCato13

KelvinCato13 Member

Pretty scary how the Spurs have 3 players in the top 15 and 4 in the top 55

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If these rankings were accurate, you're right, that would be scary.

1 person likes this.
  18. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

Im glad someone besides me remembers he had a severe nerve injury last year. Everyone else just wants him traded because he was garbage in the playoffs. Dude never even made it back to 50 percent. I just hope he is back now. I like Dmo also.

19. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

IDK about Harden but I would take him before Paul without a second thought.