1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eddie Jones

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jello77, Apr 15, 2003.

1. jello77

jello77 Contributing Member

i really don't know if this has been posted before, and if it has, my apologies.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/basketball/5635031.htm

Tonight, it comes to a merciful and awkward end for the Heat, which takes on the Toronto Raptors in a season finale it would be better off losing.

Eddie Jones' season ended a while back. Well before his season-ending ankle injury March 3, Jones' first ankle injury Jan. 3 effectively ruined what he worked for the entire offseason.

Jones had been playing his best stretch of basketball since joining the Heat in 2000, but as soon as he rolled his right ankle in the first quarter against the Nets, the Heat's season would never be the same and neither would his.

''I worked my [tail] off in the offseason to put myself in a better position to do that. I was really, really confident after doing that,'' Jones said. ``I think we would've had a good shot at the playoffs if I didn't get hurt because I was feeling good.''

Instead, the team's leading scorer suffered two more injuries, played in just 47 games, and his team has won just 24 overall.

The question now remains whether that was Jones' last chance to help the Heat. The team figures to actively talk trade this offseason and not completely rely on a lottery choice and one free agent to drastically improve the team.

Jones was already the subject of several trade possibilities before this season's trade deadline. There were conversations with Minnesota that included injured guard Terrell Brandon, with Chicago involving Marcus Fizer and Jamal Crawford, and with Houston involving Cuttino Mobley and Maurice Taylor.

Should the Heat get lucky in the draft and land either LeBron James or Carmelo Anthony, that could even force the team to move Jones to free up minutes.

The possibility of a trade is a subject Jones prefers to avoid.

''That's one position I don't want to touch,'' he said. ``If something happens, I'll deal with it. I enjoy being here, don't get me wrong. I like all the guys on this team, but the fact remains we're not winning.

``I'm sure they are going to do some things to make [sure] we start winning and at least make it to the playoffs.''

Should Jones remain in the Heat's plans for next season, the guard has one objective: to win. For the first seven years of his career, his teams -- the Lakers and Hornets -- won with regularity. The past two seasons have helped Jones realize how enjoyable those experiences were.

While Heat coach Pat Riley has expressed concerns about his players developing a loser's attitude, Jones said he has not accepted losing.

''When they look at me when I'm on the court playing basketball, they know I'm trying to do everything possible to win,'' Jones said. ''Just dealing with losing to me is tough because I never lost before.'' Adding Caron Butler this season was a good start, in Jones' view. And despite the fact Butler has flourished in Jones' absence and displayed versatility, Jones believes the two can successfully coexist.

''I just want to be on a team that's winning,'' he said. ``Players have to make plays during stretches of the game. I don't think there is always a lead guy.''

mobley and taylor for jones? get a good scorer and great defender, though overpaid, and give up taylors fat contract and mobley?

i don't like it.

2. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

No way.

Mobley is almost as good...and probably as good as Eddie Jones.

They would have to add someone like Caron Butler or Brian Grant. ;)

3. Nova

Nova Member

I agree, I don't like it. Good of the Rox to pass up on it, if it's true. I might even have to pass up on Butler... but only cause there's probly bigger fish that the rox can catch, players that may help more than Butler.