1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OJ Mayo to go pro

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by DaDakota, Apr 10, 2008.

Tags:
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Another one goes pro

Could this be one of the deepest drafts ever?

So many good players declaring early.

DD

2. JamesC

JamesC Member

I'm not sold on him yet either, but maybe it'll push some prospects lower down the charts for us.

3. spysta

spysta Member

I hope NEW YORK is ready for OJ MAYO

And then in 2010 LBJ23

But the Rockets will still reign supreme

4. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I'm sorry but I was not one bit impressed by Mayo but whatever.

5. DaDakota

I was unimpresses as well, but if it causes a good prospect to slide to us, then great !!

DD

6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

The many players declaring early is in part because many of them would have declared last year if they were still allowed to declare for the draft straight out of highschool. As for the question "could this be one of the deepest drafts ever?", I don't think so. I don't think most of these guys will be all that good in the NBA. Beasley's character is questionable, so prolonged success in the NBA is not a sure thing for him at all. OJ Mayo has proven to be completely over-rated and is yet another guy of questionable character. Guys like Kevin Love and Tyler Hansborough aren't athletic enough to be all that good at the NBA level. I'm not sure there are more than 3 or 4 guys in the entire draft who have All-Star potential and we all know not every player with All-Star potential becomes an All-Star.

I'm not high on this draft class at all. Of the projected top 5 picks, I really only like Derrick Rose and Jerryd Bayliss. Beasley could be amazing, but I just kind of doubt it. Something doesn't smell right about that guy. Though I'll be the first to admit he's incredibly gifted and certainly has the talent to make me eat my words in a big way. I don't like OJ Mayo at all. I think he's a poor man's JR Rider. And finally there is Brook Lopez. I think he'll be a pretty solid player, but I don't see All-Star potential in the guy.

All of that said, years ago I thought Marcus Fizer and Danny Fortson were going to dominate the league. So what the hell do I know?

7. Champ Caliber

Champ Caliber Member

I'm not big on this draft. No superstars I see here. But there's a lot of guys that can be a solid #2 or #3 contributor. OJ Mayo isn't a guy I would declare "the savior of a franchise". He's good, but nowhere near the hype I had been hearing about him for about 5 years now.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Mayo could still end up the best player in the draft. Media started getting off his bandwagon early, casual fans followed suit, and now he is under the radar.

9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Mayo has the distinct possibility of suffering a Marcus Williams/Gerald Green fall to the bottom teens on draft day.

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Unlike green mayo isn't dumb. He scored good on the ACT, he might have cheated.

11. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

what if that prospect is OJ Mayo? :D

12. DaDakota

He is a big PG, I would take that gamble..

:D

DD

13. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

and chris dudley went to an ivy league school

14. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I never understood the hate behind this guy. He scored a lot, shot well, played smart and looked to get others involved everytime I watched him. Pretty good stuff for a freshman, don't ya think?

15. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Its Jerryd Bayless

But I digress :D

16. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

He's not a bad player, but he's been getting Lebron level hype since he was in diapers. People sour on it after a while. I don't hate the kid...I'm just tired of him.

17. baller4life315

That's understandable I just don't get all the people saying they were unimpressed with him. What more could he have done at USC? His numbers and wins were outstanding for a freshman. I think people are so eager to write him off that they act like he's the next Sebastian Telfair or something.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Agreed. He had a solid freshman campaign. Switch him and Derrick Rose and I think Rose / USC would have lost in the first round while Mayo / Memphis went all the way. Not really sold on his PG skills, but he has the height and skills to be a solid SG...maybe in the Brandon Roy type mold.

19. baller4life315

Agreed too. Not so much on the Brandon Roy comparison though. The way I see it is his worst case scenario is not being able to play the point and essentially becoming the next Rashad McCants. A solid shooter, decent athlete and overall quality player. Not a star but definitely a guy that can help you.

I'd say his best case scenario is becoming a player in the Arenas mold. Basically, your typical combo guard.

20. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

He was overhyped at the start of the season... but midway through something seemed to "click" for the guy and he totally changed his way of playing bball and his attitude towards bball... he's so underrated now IMO that its not even funny...

someone is gonna get a helluva steal in this guy...