1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time for Tom?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Wattafan, Jun 28, 2015.

?

Should Savage be given a shot now?

Poll closed Aug 27, 2015.
  1. Yes

13.5%
  2. No

50.0%
  3. See what he does in training first

36.5%
  1. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

With so much doubt about our two QB front runners, namely Ryan Mallett and Brian Hoyer, eyes are starting to wander to our other option, Tom Savage.
    Drafted as a project in '14, he was thrown into the deep end in a game and immediately displayed a high level of nerves, but settled down quite a bit after a while and threw a pretty pass.
    Now he will enjoy two seasons worth of OTA's and training camps and so far, he has shown great improvement.
    Give him a couple of halves in the preseason and if our oline can show that it is solid, then with our ground game, I would be in favour of giving him a shot in real games where it looks like all is lost or we have an unassailable lead.
    He has pretty decent pocket awareness and is more mobile than Mallett and can also throw it on a rope.
    Watchall think?

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Odd timing considering preseason is around the corner and we'll get to see a lot more of these guys then. Pads haven't even come on yet.

3. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

I like the reports coming out on him - his application to the playbook and obvious improvement are very encouraging.
    If the reports are right that is.
    I am sure O'Brien will have the best interest of the team in mind.

4. Scolandry

Scolandry Member

Obviously he's going to get better from last season, I just don't see how he could get worse. He'll have his chance in preseason but it's Mallett's job to lose at this point.

5. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

I don't believe he'll be ready to compete for the starting job at all this year. He was extremely raw when he was drafted, of which showed when he was thrown under fire last year. It will take another long year of him practicing every aspect of this offense, and an additional off-season of extra work to get him up to "NFL" speed. I like Savage a lot actually, and I do think he could be a player, but when he was drafted everyone knew this was going to be a long project.

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

no thanks

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Considering he couldn't even manage a simple hand off, I'd say being able to do that would already be an improvement.

8. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

I like Mallett too and he demonstrated his command of the line and understanding the run game by defeating the Browns with their at the time decent defense.
    That is all Savage would have to mater for the time being and as the run game causes teams to stack the box, that will open up the passing game.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He should get a shot if he earns it in camp. I don't think it'll happen, but it would be nice.

10. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Last time I saw Savage, he couldn't even complete a hand off to the running back.

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

And he couldn't even audible loud enough for the other players to hear him.

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

Tom Brady?

13. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

High probability that Tom Savage is out of the league in 2 years. If Hoyer and Mallet are in a tight battle for the starting role, all this means is that neither is very good. With a strong QB class coming out next year, the Texans draft one and keep Hoyer/Mallet as the backup. Maybe have some random guy on the practice squad. So bye bye Tom.

#13 BubbaMac, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  14. macho87

macho87 Member

Cool last name. That's about all he has going for himself

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I do think he has some potential and even though he looked shell shocked the first few plays in the game he played, I thought he settled in decent and made some good throws.

But no, it's not his time now. Maybe later though...who knows

16. Bezzle

Bezzle Member

Some NFL reporters seem to be favoring Hoyer winning the job and Tommy is an after thought. Unless he has a HUGE showing in training and preseason, he'll be out shortly.

*cough*Especially once OB tanks the season to be in position to draft CH
    [​IMG]

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

No. He has shown absolutely nothing that would indicate he can be a top tier QB in the NFL.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think the real question is. . . .can he be the Primary BackUp
    I don't think he ready for the big chair just yet
    but
    The Second Seat . . . .can he keep it warm?

Rocket River

19. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To be fair, I don't think the other two QBs have either :eek:

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I disagree but only slightly. 27 y/o Mallet has the physical tools, QB for a big SEC program, sat behind Brady, NE System, and has shown flashes. Unknown but worth a look.

30 y/o Hoyer has shown his bottom and cieling. Nothing gained here.

25 y/o Savage, several college transfers, injury history, lost starting job in college, has looked terrible so far. Nothing gained here.

Mallet is the only one with star potential. But of course he could bust too and that's why we have to find out.