1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NFL] Andre Johnson signs with the Colts

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by moestavern19, Mar 11, 2015.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Those guys fall under my "Dallas" exception, though. I can root hard against those guys and still convince myself I'm ok. :grin:

2. Buck Turgidson

I know you've been a Luck fanboy for a long time, understandably, but I hadn't thought about the AJ+Luck nexus of weirdness for you as a Texans fan. You're not secretly buying your kids Colts gear, are you?

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Andre just on the Le Batard show.

How does your career play out differently with a better QB?

I don't know. My numbers would be better than what they are but I tried to make the best of what I've had. I never complained and gave it my all. I'm satisfied with what I've been able to accomplish and excited about this opportunity.

Most frustrating time in Houston?

Probably the past 2 seasons. 2-14, Kubiak being fired, having a new coach, learning a new system. Past 2 seasons. It was hard for me to even go to work. Excited about this new opportunity.

Ever happen before where you were miserable enough to not go to work?

No, first time.

Was it the losing or losing combined with QB getting you the ball?

When you've been somewhere for awhile...there have been a number of things that have gone on since I've been there. When you're a young player, you don't understand everything that goes on, the business side of football. You just want to play. ... Frustrating with some of the things. They don't like when you voice your opinion. I did and they didn't agree. It is what it is. I'm a Colt now.

You never do that.

Sometimes you keep your mouth closed and control what you can control but after awhile, putting your body on the line and very loyal to the organization, sometimes things need to be said. I felt like I needed to voice my opinions and that didn't go over well with them. It is what it is. Excited about this new opportunity.

What was disillusioning to you?

Biggest thing was the QB situation. People and organization ask you things, how you feel about certain things, when you give your opinion, they tell you something they do opposite. Even doing contract stuff to help the team, nothing was coming of it. Stuff like that.

How many options did you have?

The Colts were the team I wanted to go to. When I sat down and looked at teams, I felt the Colts were the best opportunity. ... Best chance to win and a great QB.

What have you seen from Andrew Luck in your limited time together?

He's very smart. He sees things before they happen. Very talented guy. Athletic. Hands on guy. I like that about him. When he sees something or wants to talk, he'll pull you to the side and tell you how he wants things done.

Dolphins an option?

I thought about coming home but never heard anything from them.

When you see all the Canes drafted, do you wonder why the team wasn't better?

Yeah, sometimes you think about that. I had a chance to go out there this spring and spend time out there and train. There's a lot of talent down there. It's about getting it all on one accord. When you watch practice, you can see the talent.

Body fat these days?

Last time I checked a few years ago, 6%.

DL: I feel it would be 4% if not for Matt Schaub.

#163 J.R., Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Colts 'likely' to move on from Andre Johnson <a href="https://t.co/cHCRsSTlEa">https://t.co/cHCRsSTlEa</a></p>&mdash; Rotoworld Football (@Rotoworld_FB) <a href="https://twitter.com/Rotoworld_FB/status/697453498594684928">February 10, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Understandable, he was awful this year.

6. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

If he wasn't such a dick this would be sad but I instead chuckled.

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

carolina on the cheap?

8. awc713

awc713 Member

wonder if he comes back to HOU? is that completely out if the cards?

9. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Dre would be a much better fit with Tom Brady and the Patriots where he could benefit from the short-passing attack which would cover his deficiencies in terms of his age and the decline of his speed and athleticism. This might be his best shot at winning a ring before his game falls off a cliff if it already hasn't.

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I'd root for him if he goes to the Pats, I just couldn't get myself to root for any player on the colts.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Nobody on the Colts offense was worth a damn this year.

They save 5 million by cutting him, which could clearly be better used elsewhere (much like the 7.5 million they spent on him last year).

I dunno though. Is the dropoff to Donte Moncrief small enough to justify it?

It the Colts expect their WR2 to catch 60-80 balls, they should keep AJ. If not, he needs to go.

12. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Every seemingly name WR that hits the market is immediately a perfect fit for the Patriots, who almost never sign a single one.

BO'B nailed this one; what many of us saw as perhaps apathy in '14 was, in fact, the beginning of the end. His market, like Reggie Wayne's, will be limited and his HoF chances took a severe hit.

The Colts are run by dolts, btw. If they hadn't fallen ass-backwards into Luck, Grigson almost certainly drives that team into a 10-year ditch. Unfortunate.

#173 Hey Now!, Feb 10, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL dropoff? Donte Moncrief was better than Dre last year and that gap will probably widen even more next year. The question was if the dropoff from Dre to Phillip Dorsett was small enough to justify cutting him.....and it was.

15. Victorious

Victorious Member

damn, so he went to IND to play with great QB. But Luck gets hurt, he plays with more crap QBS and they miss the playoffs. Texans win in Indy, made the playoffs. LOL talk about bad LUCK

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And he completely destroyed his reputation in the process. He really shouldn't have been listening to his uncle again.

17. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Feels good....

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

He "destroyed" his reputation?... Do you honestly think, nationally, that Andre Johnson had any reputation at all, and that any of the pithy, minor drama that did exist "destroyed" it? I don't. Anonymous franchise; anonymous career, IMO. No one cares about the team or him, frankly (outside of Houston, obviously).

I think his biggest failing, frankly, was his inability to move the needle on his HoF chances. He remains (in the eyes of those outside of Houston) an empty stat compiler on lousy teams. Andre Johnson has never been the best player on a good team.

A few more 50/800-ish seasons could have pushed his numbers to the point of being too prestigious to rule out - but his sudden decline, I think, leaves him in a crowded field with zero signature moments and no historical standards.

Last year, I thought he'd have a long but ultimately successful road; now, I think he's in serious jeopardy of not getting into the HoF.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, he had a reputation as being a great QB who was hampered by bad QB's, but that's not the reputation I was talking about. He destroyed his reputation in Houston by being a b**** at the end of his time here. That said he did hurt his reputation nationally by being terrible on the Colts this last season.

20. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

WR...

But overall I agree. If only he could erase the last 2 years....