1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL Player Earns Extra Money as Uber Driver

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by s land balla, Jun 9, 2015.

1. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Miami Dolphins Defensive Tackle A.J. Francis Earns Extra Money as Uber Driver

Miami Dolphins defensive lineman A.J. Francis is a hustler.

In addition to doing stints on the Dolphins' and New England Patriots' practice squads over the past two seasons, the 6'5", 330-pound fella moonlights as an Uber driver.

He's under contract with Miami to earn $510,000 in 2015, but the money doesn't start flowing until July. So, since April, he's been shuttling passengers around for between $40 and $50 an hour.

"I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket," Francis said Monday, per Steven Wine of the Associated Press. "Where I'm from, when you have a job, where are you when that job is over?"

Francis said he wants to pursue a broadcasting career after he hangs up his cleats. As preparation, he interviews passengers and posts the clips on YouTube.

Dolphins defensive end Cameron Wake said he hasn't used Francis' services. "I have a car, so I probably wouldn't," Wake said. "But I can't knock anybody's hustle. He's an interesting guy."

Seems like Francis has this whole life thing figured out.

----

Impressive. I wish Steve Francis had it together half as much as A.J. Francis seems to.

2. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

How many years did he sign with the team?

3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Not really that impressed. I bet Uber just hired him because he is somewhat of a celebrity.

4. s land balla

So you think Uber is paying is way more than other drivers? That's a possibility, but I highly doubt it.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

What does he drive? I'm assuming a large SUV cuz he's 330lbs. Can he even make money as an Uber driver?

6. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Anyone here drive UBER?

7. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Don't know the current number but I know practice squad players made about $80k a year about 7-8 years ago. And that's if you're lucky enough to stick on it all year.

So it's not like he's filthy rich. That $515k is misleading because he has to make the 53 man roster and stick all year to make that.

8. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I got a new car recently (Audi S6), and I'm in the process of signing up to be an UBER driver just as an experiment. I'm currently waiting for my background check to come through. I only plan to do it a day or two on the weekend, just to see how hilarious it is (I have a full-time job where I make good money).

If anyone wants to try it out, send me your email or phone number - my referral would give $500 to you, AND $500 to me.

1 person likes this.
  9. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

check your rep

10. s land balla

What are the requirements for the referral bonus to be paid out? Successful approval and drive a minimum of one time?

11. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

I drove bus.

1 person likes this.
  12. Svpernaut

Awesome, sent (and rep'd).

13. s land balla

Watch Svpernaut make bank after this thread, lol. :grin:

14. Svpernaut

EDIT - It looks like you only have to complete 20 trips. I imagine you could do that in a day or two.

I'm guessing approval and then a minimum amount of time or trips? I'm not sure - as the Uber Driver profile doesn't have much until you're approved.

#14 Svpernaut, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  15. Svpernaut

LOL! I would not complain.

I'll tip a good chunk to clutch fans for each one =D!

EDIT - I don't need your email/cell phone, they gave me a link to sign up. $500 for each of us.

#15 Svpernaut, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  16. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

Bout to quit uber. Bad for my skeletal health

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

40-50 an hour? Shoot I'll do that.