1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[TV] The Killing returns today

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by NewRoxFan, Aug 1, 2014.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

One of my favorite guilty pleasures... final (and short) season on NetFlix. This will tide me over until The Walking Dead returns... :grin:

2. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

One of my favorite shows of the last 10 years.

I really like the writing, directing, acting and camera work...so pretty much everything about it. You'd think a cop show that takes 2 seasons to solve one crime would be boring, but somehow, it's incredibly suspenseful.

3. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Did it actually get good? I watched the first season, and after going through a full season of red herrings and goose chases, I gave up. I was gonna give season two a chance but I heard that the mayor was innocent early in season two, basically making season one pointless.

4. NewRoxFan

Agree with everything you wrote (and add in the moodiness of the Seattle setting). The in-laws are visiting so we replayed the first couple of episodes for them. Still impresses me... and to your list I will add the depth of character development (with a few minor exceptions, like the victim's "ex-boyfriend" and the characters around the campaign). But the two leads, the father and mother in season 1/2, and the convict in season 3... powerful performances.

5. NewRoxFan

We enjoy twists and turns of the plots. My wife even asked last night... "so who did kill the girl". :grin:

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I loved this show, but will point out the 2 seasons to solve the first crime WAS A BAD IDEA. Season 3, imo, was better than Season 1/2, because of that.

7. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Same here. Last season started out well and then by the last two or three episodes It just made me irritated.
    It's an ok show. I don't feel the writing or acting are that special(well I guess except for Mireille and Kinnaman). If I had to grade the series, I'd give it a C+.

8. body slam

body slam Member

For me its a good filler show not a binge watch. But still a good show.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

The thread title will be a filthy lie in a few hours.

10. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

It's a good enough show. I binge watched the first 3 seasons in about a week and a half recently. I don't think the leads show much depth, particularly Holder, but that's alright. Rosie's family dynamics annoyed me. The 3rd season was above and beyond the best due to Peter Sarsgaard. The cinematography in this show is shaky at times--some camera angles make absolutely no sense.

I'd give the show overall a B, with the 3rd season carrying the weight (a bobloblaw A rating) and making up for 2 weak but entertaining seasons.

11. NewRoxFan

Perhaps I don't understand your point:

Are you saying it isn't ready to stream yet?

12. bobloblaw

He's saying that the thread title should not expire in one day. He means that it will be a lie tomorrow when someone reads the thread and assumes the show premiered tomorrow. A better title would have been a generic, "[TV] The Killing Season 4" or "Season 4 Premieres" or some such.

13. NewRoxFan

I just logged in and confirmed, all six episodes of Season 4 are ready to stream...

14. bobloblaw

Eh, not sure why I'm butting in but since it was unclear...

At midnight, in 4 hours and 38 minutes, the thread title will still read "[TV] The Killing returns today" but the show will have actually premiered what will, at that time, be yesterday.

15. NewRoxFan

Ok I see now. I don't believe I can edit the title. My apologies for the title, but to a certain extent, some reading this tomorrow could learn they could start season 4 since it's streamed...

1 person likes this.
  16. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

I'm half way through season 4, if they finish it right, this is easily the best season.

17. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Key words.

18. NewRoxFan

So... after all that, I don't know if I liked Season 4 as well as previous seasons. I don't want to even give the reasons why, because I don't want to be responsible for spoilers that will make it less enjoyable for anyone else interested in the show.

One fair warning (not a plot spoiler, but I still placed in spoiler tags):

(not a plot spoiler, but seems reasonable to warn folks)... the change to NetFlix from AMC was clearly evident. Not just the occasional cuss word... but pretty much throughout the season's shows. And a pretty tough scene to watch with your in-laws and 16 year old daughter in the room.

19. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

When the first season finally hit Netflix, I binge watched in a few days. I thought it was REALLY good until (like you guys) they didn't solve the case in that season.

I lost faith after that.

So, instead of watching season 2, I stuck with reading the episode synopsis and skipped to season 3. That's where my enjoyment of this series came back.

Season 4, I knew what was going to ultimately end up happening, but I can't really decide if I liked the ending or not. I loved the rest of the season, I'm just not sure about the end.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I just finished up season 3. It was OK. Same slow story with good execution. It was enough to make me want to watch season 4.