1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Rockets take Game 5, but Harden still in a deep funk

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 1, 2014.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

MK Bower and I from the Toyota Center after Game 5: How the Twin Towers combo of Dwight Howard and Omer Asik guarded LaMarcus Aldridge (8 points on 3-12 shooting), the team defense in the fourth quarter, the transition from Game 4 goat to Game 5 hero for Jeremy Lin, Patrick Beverley’s “flu game” and the strangely continuing struggles of James Harden.

http://rockets.clutchfans.net/6581/podcast-rockets-blazers-game-5/

2 people like this.
  2. JackLordsHair

JackLordsHair Member

Good stuff. I wonder if McHale benching him (gutsy but necessary move) and Howard calling him out (allegedly) makes any difference with Harden... The dude has just flat out sucked hardcore this series and it is troubling... Cant see us winning if he is a no show on Friday

3. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

He's being held, almost wrestled on every play, he's not getting many calls, he is learning how to play inside out since we're no longer playing outside in during this series...it looks like he's a little gassed & mentally fatigued. My main concern is his lack of aggression when driving to the basket...but he'll work it out, just like Durant who is in his slump at the moment will work it out.

While he's not hitting his shots the way that we're accustomed too, he is still the main focus for the defenses which frees up others.

I do hope he can start Bearding by Game 6 & pray that we can win this series in 7.

4. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

Even though harden has been struggling, he still is definitely opening up the floor for everyone else for the most part. If James gets out of the funk, we will be good to go.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe Harden's play in the clutch will help him get out of his slump. The Rockets could use it.

6. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Harden's buckets in clutch are not from ISO, but initiated by teammates and he got the ball after multiple passes. It's easier for him and that's the way we should be playing all game.

1 person likes this.
  7. autoprt

autoprt Member

great analysis and posts all around here. looking forward to coming back and seeing more of the same good info after game 6.

8. atwood

atwood Member

It is expected that Harden's efficiency went down because of the successful defense strategy on Blazers's side. He just needs to play defense and keeps attacking. He has to reduce iso, which he did. It takes team effort to win the series anyway.

9. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

"The man who would have drafted Harold Minor over Robert Horry: Dave Hardisty!"

Ha! :grin:

10. BonziWellsGOAT

Completely agree. Matthews and Batum just bear hug him off the ball every possession and when he gets free off a pick theyre constantly bumping him. I think the fact that the refs have almost made it a point to not give him any calls has really discouraged him from driving and being aggressive because most likely he will get hacked and wont get a whistle. The refs set that precedent in game 1. For sure he has to adjust but I firmly believe thats the root of his struggles

11. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Thanks Clutch for once again giving us fantastic insight and info! The podcast was great, and Mk Bower and yourself seem to have a good chemistry of give and take. I cant wait for another win (yes another) to dissect all of their weaknesses and our strengths!...:grin:

I am also very concerned in Hardens inability to come out of his slump! As you'll mentioned in the podcast, Harden had quite a few OPEN jump shots and just flat out missed, and shying away from that open 3pt'r and passing off is indicative of his state of mind! He's actually playing like he expects to miss the shot! I hope someone steps up and gives him a good slap to loosen that negativity right out of him! Example: Royce White being slapped gif!

Once again thanks for the podcast!

12. ish1973

ish1973 Member

Harden and Durant peaked by the end of the season. Three other superstars overloaded are LBJ, Griffin and Curry. The former two are so physically gifted and with tremendous team support. Interested to see if they can maintain good forms in the playoff run. Teamwise, Pacers and Bulls are two teams working too hard during the regular season. Grizzlies also fighting so hard, but only for the latter half of the season.

Howard is lucky to have timely minor injuries that kept him out for some games. Likewise for CP3, however he may not be able to get to peak on time.

13. deshen

deshen Member

We've long known that Harden will not be as effective in playoffs as regular season. so I am not very surprised. This is why I'd like to see much more offensive plays from Howard in order to win this series and beyond.
    Still a 7 game series, I believe.

14. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Good convo with you and mkbower. I find it almost sad that you guys had almost no time to talk about anyone else on the team other than Lin and Harden. Good takes on both. I for one think whatever happens these playoffs, jeremy is gone.

15. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

MK Bower touched on this at the very end, but I think the biggest problem for Harden is that his shot is off. Yes, they are doing a good job on defense for him, but his shot is just off. He's missing the open ones just as much as the contested ones.

It is a lot like that for Lin too. His shot has been off. When the shots start falling his confidence goes up, but the defense plays differently too which creates a positive feedback loop for his whole game.

re: Beverley and they can't 'fix' his fever...

Umm, he is sick. Until he fights off the infection, he will remain sick.

16. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

I think 15 shots for Harden is fine when the other guys are shooting and playing well.

If he forces more shots via ISO we'll loose.

17. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

Im still not too worried about Harden's play because its just a simple "shooting slump". I want him to keep shooting with confidence. That's what you always tell good shooters when they are in a slump: KEEP SHOOTING.

He has not really forced anything. Most of the shots he took were good/open looks. He just missed them. On the season, specially since the start of this year, he has been on fire from the 3 point range. I think he needs to keep shooting the open shots and look to drive more with intent to score instead of drawing a foul since they are not calling it.

Im calling a breakout game for Harden in Game 6 :grin:

18. optimusprime

optimusprime Member

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Wesley Matthews is not stopping James Harden. James Harden is stopping James Harden.

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

How is it that Lin gets the harshest criticism the entire series and Harden is dam near getting a pass?
    Lin has screwed us on one play! Harden has been screwing us the entire dam series!!! Yet people are still talking about the one play that Lin messed up on. Also, Lin has saved us more than one time in the series. He had to save us in game 3 from one of Harden's dumbassed plays.
    I'm not an LOF and even i see the biased views.