1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Boston Celtics and Dallas Mavericks agree on Rajon Rondo trade

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mr. 13 in 33, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Record-wise, Dallas didn't drop off, but they haven't got better either.

Pre-trade, they were 19-8 (.704)
    Post-trade, they are 11-5 (.688)

2. baubo

baubo Member

Given that they were (comfortably I think) best offense in the NBA before the trade, that's not really showing upside. In fact, their point differential has gone down since the trade.

I think their schedule has gotten harder too. But even if you make an adjustment to their schedule, they still basically made a lateral move, which is what most people suggested. When you trade for a player whose impact on a team is similar to a top-end backup center, that's not much to write home about.

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

they've had a really easy schedule since that trade though, before that their schedule was a bit on the hard side. They were 10th or 11th pre-trade, now they're 26th (we're equal 12th btw)

No, it's been much easier since the trade

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Rondo spent the most meaningful minutes down the stretch of that game last night riding the pine. He played 26 mins, shooting 3/9...finishing with 6 points, 4 assists, 1 steal and a turnover.

Speculation I read from Mavs fans was about whether he'd want to sign with a team/coach that kept him parked on the bench down the sretch of a game. Honestly, I hope they max him out and lock in that group around the end of Dirk's career...because I don't that it's good enough.

And again, the Mavs fell short against a good team. They have 2 wins against WC playoff teams...and one of those was against a Spurs team that was resting starters.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

They already dropped off because they mortgaged their future for Rondo, they traded a key piece in Brendan Wright (young emerging player who giving them Tjone-esque production) bench and a future pick. So if the trade doesn't result in improved performance Dallas lost that one since they gave up assets for the same result.

Also I like your definition of making the Mavs better, they went from 1 WC win to 2 lol! What an improvement :p

Another poster talked about how Rondo's impact will be seen in the playoffs. My opinion is we'll see the impact of this in the offseason...which is when Rondo leaves in FA and signs in LA or whatever. Then we'll see the true result of this trade, Dallas gave away all their assets for half a season of Rondo LOLOLOLOLOL! Combine this trade with overpaying for parsons and has got to be one of the worst years for the Mavs when it comes to decision making.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

that makes no sense because for dallas, they made it a point they consider rondo part of their future. lol @ people that talk about brandon wright like hes some star. he's 28 yrs old. he not emerging. he is who he is. a guy who can't play over 15 mins a game. thats definitely not someone irreplaceable. they got rondo for NOTHING. and for a championship run and if you're dallas, you do it every time. but its understandable since its dallas people will find whatever reason to justify calling it a bad move

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Rondo signals that diva vibe

8. Nook

Nook Member

Can you please explain to me how Dallas has improved from the trade? Their winning percentage has gone down slightly with an almost exact winning percentage.

Seems to me like it was a lateral move at this point. Rondo isn't even playing in crunch time. I fact they are 4-6 in their last 10 games.

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

But in turn the West also got better with some trades. So while Dallas improved everyone else did as well, so relatively it looks like Dallas made a lateral move thus far.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

When we beat them tonight and hand them 4 straight loses I hope have your crow ready.

Wright was their best bench player. When's Tyson Chandler isn't on the court their rim protect is GONE. Tyson has the highest win shares on the team.

11. HardenHardon

HardenHardon Member

They weren't going to win a title with the pre-trade roster and making the move gave them a chance at becoming a legitimate contender. Any trade is a roll of the dice and with the line between winning and losing in the Western Conference being so fine, there is always a chance that it won't work out. Thing is, though, there are ~35 games left, plus the playoffs. Best answer we can give right now to the question "Did the trade make them better?" is "not yet". It might be a "no" ultimately, but that remains to be seen.

What is comical is the idea that the Mavericks somehow mortgaged their future just to get Rondo for half of a season.

1. Brandan Wright is in the last year of his contract. If the Mavs want to make him a part of their future, they still can. The only risk is that he extends before hitting free-agency. He played ~18 minutes a game, and is NOT Tyson-esque. Not even close. Athletic, shoots a high percentage, but not in the same gym as Tyson as a defender or rebounder. Nice backup or patchwork starter. If he had 2 or 3 more years on a cheap contract, maybe you could convince me he was firmly positioned as a part of their future.

2. Jameer Nelson....He is a part of no team's "future".

3. Jae Crowder has a lot of DNP - CD on his record and had yet to find himself as a solid piece of what the Mavs were trying to accomplish. He sure wasn't the future.

4. 2015 1st Round Draft Pick - This is clearly a piece of future building, so I won't argue that it isn't. I will say this, though. The Mavs SUCK at drafting, so it was valuable as a trade chip more than a pick for them.

5. 2016 2nd Round Draft Pick - Same as above, but to a MUCH lesser extent being a 2nd rounder.

The Mavs really didn't give up much and certainly didn't "mortgage their future" in this trade. It remains to be seen how it all works out, but it is a move that had to be done to give them a chance in a brutal Western Conference.

12. HardenHardon

HardenHardon Member

*Edit to above: That says nothing about the fact that the Mavs have put themselves in position to re-sign Rondo and make him part of their future. The Mavs traded the chance to re-sign Wright for the chance to re-sign Rondo. If Rondo goes elsewhere, then the Mavs paid a 1st and a 2nd round pick on that gamble.

13. vator

vator Contributing Member

So they were 19-8 pre Rondo and going into tonight 11-8 with Rondo? Is that correct?

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

As a Rockets fans, I really want them to sign Rondo long term and max him out. That locks that squad in for the rest of Dirk's career in all likelihood. I'm good with that.

I think it's easy to make the argument that they're not worse because of the trade...but I think it's difficult to argue they're a better team now than they were before the trade. To this point, anyway.

15. HardenHardon

HardenHardon Member

Pretty much my point and I agree.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

i hope houston does beat them tonight but regardless of the outcome it proves nothing. come playoff time that's when values will truly be shown

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Rondo and Monta will both be FAs. Are the Mavs willing to Max Rondo and give Monta a big raise (maybe not max, but sizable considering Parsons' contract)?

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

defensively they improved and that's one of the main points in getting rondo.

19. HardenHardon

HardenHardon Member

That sounds about right. Their Achilles heel all season has been beating the "good" teams (particularly in the West). Rondo's first game was against the Spurs. Here are their losses since he's been with the team:

Hawks
    Suns
    Pistons (during their win streak post-Josh Smith)
    Clippers
    Nuggets (2nd of BtB and most starters rested)
    Bulls
    Pelicans
    Grizzlies (w/o Conley)

The Suns and Pelicans games are probably the toughest losses, but both are above .500 and were road games for the Mavs. Only point being that the pattern suggests more of the same 'ol, same 'ol struggles that they had pre-trade, rather than the "falling off" that the small sample size provided by their pre/post-trade records suggest.

20. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Who have they played in the West post trade who has improved? Just Memphis?

And yet Dallas is 11-7 since Rondo (0.611), on the back of an easy schedule. If we can knock them over today it is very, very safe to say Dallas regressed with the move.