1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where would Clint Capela be drafted now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jan 29, 2016.

?

Where would CC be drafted now?

1. 1-3

10 vote(s)
    14.9%
  2. 4-7

17 vote(s)
    25.4%
  3. 8-11

23 vote(s)
    34.3%
  4. 12-15

10 vote(s)
    14.9%
  5. 16-20

4 vote(s)
    6.0%
  6. 20-25

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm going with 8-11.

The guy is so young...would still be in college..and has had much on his shoulders out of necessity.

And Clint's on a sharp curve, going from where he was to logging major minutes in the NBA.

He's already impacted the WCF.

He'll fill out, grow into that body...won't be worn down...so young/raw at this point.

#1 Plowman, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We want the inside scoop. #wethepeople

3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That didn't take long. ;)

4. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

a big athletic defensive rebounding center that can play pf effectively? if thats not a top 10 pick i dunno what is

5. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

I agree with 8-11. If there was a redraft here are ten other players that could go before Capela.

Andrew Wiggins
    Rodney Hood
    Marcus Smart
    Aaron Gordon
    Jabari Parker
    Elfrid Payton
    Julius Randle

I think you could debate these guys over Capela, but I prefer Capela.
    Nikola Jokic?
    Zach LaVine?
    Jordan Clarkson?

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'll wait for DD to vote on CC.

7. GladVlad

GladVlad Member

I think that's a pretty good list. But, I'd take LaVine in the top 5 ahead of Smart and Parker. He is still just 20 years old and a year younger than Capela. He isn't the smartest player, but you can't teach his freakish athleticism.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

Probably around 1-2.

1 person likes this.
  9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I have some thoughts on this, but will wait for the thread to get going first

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Capela's the lone bright spot on the team IMHO. Dude always plays hard and is impressive given his young age.

I voted 8-11 to be conservative but let's be real he'd go top 5 easy, maybe even higher. After Wiggins who's next? The only guys who'd produced more than Capela at this point are Randle and Jordan Clarkson. Parker spent all of last year injured, and this year on a Bucks team that showcases him he only got 11 pts and 4 rebs a night.

Personally I'd take him at 2 after Wiggins, Capela has the highest potential on this board outside of Wiggins and he's also producing at a high rate.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Capela is both freakishly athletic and also smart. One year age doesn't really make a big difference, but Capela is also really underdeveloped at this rate he started out as a soccer player and only converted to bball recently, I think he only played for 3 years or whatever when he got drafted. Lavine is the better dunker but winning bball has more to do with smart rotations and good hands rather than highlight dunks.

12. basketballholic

Plowman,

Care to rank these big men in order of most trade value to least trade value?

Cody Zeller, Alex Len, Nerlens Noel, Steven Adams, Kelly Olynyk, Gorgui Dieng, Mason Plumlee, Joel Embiid, Jusuf Nurkic, Mitch McGary, Clint Capela, Karl Anthony Townes, Jahlil Okafor, Kristaps Portzingis, and WCS.

These are all bigs drafted in the first round of the last 3 drafts who will spend at least around half their floor time playing in the middle.

Now do you see the problem with Capela's "trade value"??

We need to trade Capela while he is highly thought of around the league and still is overvalued.

13. GladVlad

GladVlad Member

Lavine can do more than just highlight dunks. In the last 3 games he has scored over 70 points. His athleticism let's him get his shot anytime he wants, if he can improve on his career 43% and 34% he can easily be a efficent 20+ scorer. But, it's just my opinion.

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Its a deep draft, its to early to say. Lots of good role players

Wiggins
    Warren
    Smart
    Parker
    Payton
    LaVine
    G.Harris
    Nurkic
    McDermott
    Gordon
    Randle
    Hood
    Jokic
    Clarkson

Are the top players in the draft, and this with Embiid, Saric and Exum being unknowns with lots of potential. I'd say without factoring in those 3 players that Capela could go anywhere from 8 to 14

15. basketballholic

Bolded part is simply not true.

16. malakas

malakas Member

First time I hear of a team showcasing someone with 20% usage and lucky to get 10 FGA ?Nope, Parker is not showcased..on the contrary he's getting burried by an idiot coach/GM that's the problem.

I would take Lavine over Capela because there's a chance even a very low chance Lavine becomes a star. like a 1% chance. Don't see such chance with Capela in my opinion.

I would also take Jokic over Capela.

Towns, Porzingod (these two actually not sure who goes first, we will see) first tier (superstar, potential mvp caliber)
    Nurkic, Okafor (potential franchise centers)
    WCS, Noel (potential elite defensive centers)
    Adams (already starter)
    Capela, Len( need to see a little more from both , but look like good starters in the future),

and for the rest Olynyk (just because he has improved his defence that much I will put him over the others), Zeller, Dieng (dissapointed with lack of defence),
    McGary (doesn't seem able to play C in teh future and bad defence).

You forgot Gobert and Jokic. There's been an influx of good young bigs and taht's why in the near future it will be much easier to get C than wings. It already is, but it will become even more pronounced soon.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Also add Dwight Powell to my list of players.

18. alethios

alethios Member

Consistently from game to game, he plays like a 12-15 draft pick. He shows flashes of brilliance but still gets lost. That will improve though because he's also showing a willingness to learn and grow in his position.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Meh... He is smart enough. Sometimes he falls into ball watching but his IQ is sufficient.

I think he would go 8-15 if he was coming out this season. I personally am not adverse to trading him as I don't think he has a position or future as a starter.

20. basketballholic

His iq is very low Nook. Only thing he has going for him is he instinctively moves his feet to position himself. But he's a mess defensively. He stands there and gets taken over and over again.

Capela is the antithesis of smart on the basketball court.