1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN All-time NBA Rank- Centers (Hakeem at #5)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 523744, Jan 19, 2016.

1. 523744

523744 Member

Live right now: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/nbarankCs/ranking-greatest-centers-nba-history

Teams
    Houston Rockets (1984-2001), Toronto Raptors (2001-2002)

Honors
    MVP (1993-94), two-time Finals MVP, two-time Defensive Player of the Year, 12-time All-Star, 12-time All-NBA selection, nine-time All-D selection, Hall of Fame

Championships
    2 (1994, 1995)

Career stats
    21.8 PPG, 11.1 RPG, 3.1 BPG, .512 FG%

The player
    A groundbreaker in terms of bringing footwork and agility to post play. The first of Houston's two back-to-back championships was particularly memorable, because Hakeem was essentially the Rockets' lone star, surrounded by a clutch of quality role players. There haven't been many NBA champions over the years featuring this sort of one-star construction. -- Stein

Created and mastered moves that have never been seen by a big man before or since. On top of that, he was the greatest defensive center ever not named Bill Russell. -- Broussard

Olajuwon's path is truly amazing. He arrived in Houston for college with one developed skill: The ability to play volleyball with opponents' shots. Three decades later, All-Star-caliber players go to Hakeem to learn the fundamentals of post play. -- Doolittle

It's a testament to his athletic abilities that Olajuwon himself declared that "The Dream Shake" was actually something he came up with while playing soccer, not basketball. -- Adams

2. bmd

bmd Member

Let me guess the other 4...

Wilt, Kareem, Russell, Shaq

Russell is overrated in my opinion. Yeah, he has 11 rings... but he played at a time when there were only 8 teams in the entire league.

And considering he was on stacked teams, it's no wonder he won so much.

Yeah, he was great on defense, but his offense sucked.

I like Bill Russell... but he is way overrated in my opinion.

1 person likes this.
  3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Man honestly it's between Kareem, Shaq, and Hakeem. You can make an argument for either.

Wilt and Russell played in such different eras that it really isn't fair to compare them as bmd just pointed out.

4. OTMax

OTMax Member

Difficult to say, cases can be made for everybody but Shaq though. It's very close, but to me Olajuwon is the most complete player in NBA history.

5. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

You can't rank players like this because they were all the best in their era

That's what they should be known for

6. ibm

ibm Member

shaq in front of the dream? my arse. even shaq himself probably thinks otherwise.

1 person likes this.
  7. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

Well Michael Jordan picked Hakeem as the center he would choose for his team above all others....good enough for me. :cool:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Beq7jjtrsV0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

You could argue just about any order for these guys, but I'd argue Hakeem #1 for his 2 way ability and the insane runs he had in 94 and 95

9. Caesar

Caesar Member

These lists for every position have been awful.

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Houstonians, when you rise up from your struggle and finally take your rightful seats of power within the demographics of a new America, just remember: ESPN and all those carpetbaggers from the Northeast believe Hakeem to be the 5th best center of all time.

Never forget. Fight the Northeast bias. No mercy.

1 person likes this.
  11. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Dream is #1

The only other center I would ever entertain arguments for is Kareem.

That's it.

12. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I can agree with this sentiment. Playoffs are what make players great and Hakeem played great during the playoffs. The stats back it up. Hakeem is number 1.

13. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Forgot to mention, 2 Rebounding Titles, 3x Block Shot leader

Shaq and Duncan combined for ZERO rebounding titles, DPOYs, and Blocked Shot leader :eek:

Hakeem accomplished those feats a combined 7 times!!

Dream would've had 3 consecutive rebounding titles if he'd qualified the games played minimum the 3rd season.

14. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

C is the toughest position to rank, all of the top 5 are in the top 10 overall.

15. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

5 isn't bad. I'd rather Hakeem over Shaq, but Shaq was dominant over a longer stretch (against weaker competition) and has more rings, so I see why people would rate him higher.

16. axaznshortyxa

axaznshortyxa Member

If I recall correctly.. This list and ESPN ranked Steph Curry as the #3 PG in their all-time ranking. I stopped reading all of the other lists after that.

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I think the list fair. You can argue between Shaq and Dream but Shaq had more team success. Kareem did it for a long time and won lots of rings. Wilt was just sickly dominant, so you can't argue against him. Russell won more rings than anyone as the team's best player.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Russel is not as good as Hakeem - that is nostalgia talking.

To me:

1. Wilt
    2. Hakeem
    3. Kareem

DD

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Center is a hard one. Reminds me of Running Back. So many categories to consider. I think Hakeem is #1 in the categories for all-around-game, creativity and I do believe at his peak he was the best. Hakeem's prime is superior to any other center's prime IMO.

Other areas - Durability, longevity, statistical dominance, physical dominance, passing, etc... lower on the totem poll.

20. awc713

awc713 Member

Curry at #4 all time made me LOL