1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA announces sale of Los Angeles Clippers to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer has been completed.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DreaMac, Aug 12, 2014.

1. langal

langal Contributing Member

It's not that simple. NBA teams are franchises and the league has a right to force an owner to sell if they feel the owner's conduct is detrimental to the league brand. Just like McDonald's has the legal right to force a particular franchisee out.

This isn't the prehistoric days when there were no leagues and each team was independently owned and operated.

2. Launch Pad

Launch Pad Contributing Member

Try this ... go to work and say some offensive stuff. When they fire you, claim that you have free speech and see if that prevents the firing.

The misconception of free speech is that people think that it's free of consequence. That's not true. Just as you can say whatever you want without being arrested, people can respond however they want within the law. Your employer (in this case, the NBA), for example, has a right to use their contractual power to fire you or force you out, as long as there is a stipulation in your employment contract that you violated. Most employment contracts have sections on insensitivity (racial, sexual, etc).

In short, you have the right to say whatever you want, as long as you're ready to deal with the backlash.

3. CertifiedTroll

4. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

I think the issue that is out there is that he didn't make these comments in a work environment, he made them in the privacy of his own home in a completely unrelated matter to his work as owner. Although, I agree with the NBA, the more powerful message IMO would be to try and get this guy some help, not strip him of his team and "kick him to the curb" (I guess the $2B kinda makes up for that though lol).

5. Roxoff

Roxoff Member

2 Billion for the Laker's step-brother? :rolleyes:

Who really lost out on this deal?

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

He's 80 years old, what kind of help could he possibly get that wouldn't be a complete waste of time? He is set in his ways.

7. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

But...but...Merica!

8. scottie brooks

#anustart

9. cyntil8ing

cyntil8ing Member

As Launch Pad said: The misconception of free speech is that people think that it's free of consequence.

Simply put, there were professional repercussions to what he said regardless of setting and contrary to your statement, he did speak about players and his views specifically as an owner.

I'll let your imagination discern the finer points of his statement:

You just, do I know? I support them and give them food, and clothes, and cars, and houses. Who gives it to them? Does someone else give it to them? Do I know that I have—Who makes the game? Do I make the game, or do they make the game? Is there 30 owners, that created the league?

Think of the NBA as a posh country club. Being a member in one can be considered a privilege and not a right. That club can revoke your membership if you actions affect the other members.