1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SARS and Yao Ming's Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sugar Land, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Sugar Land

Sugar Land Member

We all know Yao Ming needs to get bulkier and stronger in his upper body.

We all know that he can only do that through the summer. He also needs some rest.

We all know that he has a contract with CBA to go back to China during the summer.

Now, there is a world-wide scare on SARS. Many companies are forbidding employees to travel to Asian countries. SARS situation could get more dangerous before it gets any better. Announced visit by the Chinese Women's National Team to Comets has already been canceled.

Should a natural desaster like this one trigger some clause on his contract to stay here during the off season?

I hope Rockets' lawyers are looking into this and had the foresight to put it in the contract.

Or should we worry to death to see Yao Ming arriving in Shanghai this summer with a face mask?

2. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Very interesting topic. I don't know what to make of it. I can imagine how important it is for Yao to go back home to recharge his bateries and see his friends and relatives again albeit for a fewe months. But this SARS spreading around is definitely a thing of concern. As is stands now, I do not think it will prevent Yao from going back to China in the off-season. If he goes, I pray he comes back healthy and free of diseases.

3. edc

edc Contributing Member

To a certain extent, I would guess it depends upon what they end up doing with the tournament this summer.

4. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

The only people the face mask helps are the face mask manufacturers. The virus is far too small for those face masks to be effective. We'll just have to lock him up...maybe leak a false report that he tore is ACL?? :)

5. tolne57

tolne57 Contributing Member

We can't let him go to chinatown either. Hong Kong market in houston is temporairly closed b/c a person got SARS from there.

6. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Are you serious? I never heard that a case of SARS has been reported in the states or Houston for that matter.

7. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

Fegwu...there's like 3 cases of it in Texas. Two in Houston. One in Chinatown...Southwest Houston and one in Fort Bend County.

There is no mask big enough for Yao! And all airplane flights are like cancelled. Hopefully he can stay here. Good for Rockets.

8. tolne57

tolne57 Contributing Member

I have to admit, I heard about the Hong Kong closing from a friend, but I did hear from several different people.

As far cases of SARS in the states, there have been quite a few, with at least 4 confirmed in Texas

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/health/1852075

9. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Yao just needs to keep his arse here...If he likes pizza and wings, then all he needs to do is add BBQ and he's set...

Then, just play with Moses and he'll be freakin' awesome next year...

10. fruithater

fruithater Member

This whole SARS thing is overblown. Theres only been about 1000 infected people in China (and much less number of deaths). Thats only 1 millionth of the population. Yao has better chance getting hurt in car/plane crash.

11. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

The percentage is expanding and now they have learned that you dont have to be near the person,it can float with the air stream. It would be better if he stayed here and his Girlfriend could come over!

12. daniel-bfl

daniel-bfl Contributing Member

If his girlfriend cannot come over, just let Colin take YM's parents out for a couple of hours and YM call some girls.

13. Panda

Panda Member

Agreed. The death rate is about 4%, and the infectious rate of this disease is slower than influenza. Still no vaccine available, but effective ways have been developed to contain the virus(China says it's not caused by virus). The virus is also said to be self-limiting and fade with time, if it's contained. The China and HK press say it's transmitted by close contact between close friends, family members and patients/doctors through micro-sprays of body fluids like spit. When has it become airborne?

14. dischead

dischead Member

SARS will probaly be under control be then. only 3% of cases die form it, more people die from the common cold!

15. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

So what does this disease have to do with Shareef Abdur Rahim and Yao's off season?

16. Panda

Panda Member

This just in. A Chinese medical expert says that among over 30 SARS related deaths may not be directly caused SARS virus. Although a lot of SARS patients are young people, the majority of the dead patients were over 50 years old or people with chronic diseases. This conclusion is also based on HK's SARS patients. It's nice to be young and healthy. :)

17. Texas11

Texas11 Member

The 22nd Asian Championship for Men will be held in Haerbin, China from September 3 to 12, 2003. Unless this tournament is cancelled due to the continuous spreading of SARS (I don't think it will happen), Yao has a commitment to his country.

18. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

i don't think Yao has to devote his whole summer to his NT. two months is more than enough.