1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best affordable modem wireless router combo?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Win, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Win

Win Contributing Member

Hey all! Sorry if there are already similar threads, but I'm getting ready to kick my cable tv to the curb and am going to stream to the tv. I will have cable internet service and just want to be able to run a wireless signal to a Roku or two and a cable to a computer. I'm not a gamer but want to be able to stream video and audio with minimal buffering. I will make sure the download\upload signal is up for the task, I just need suggestions for under $100 modem router combos. Any suggestions?

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

There are several variables.

What speeds do you currently subscribe to?
    How much area are you trying to cover?
    Do any of your devices support 5.8Ghz?

Do you not already have a cable modem? Just hook a router to that if you have one. Any decent router will give you the speeds you need. You shouldnt have to spend more than $50.00

3. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

If you're getting a cable modem to use with Comcast/Time Warner/Cox, etc, get a Motorola 6121 or 6141. The 6121 has 4 channels, 6141 has 8, which will allow it to get higher speeds in the future. Keep in mind that the no cable Internet provider will have speeds that the 6121 can't handle at the moment. On eBay, a reputable seller modems-modems sells a 6141 for Best Offer around $67. Retail 6121s are around $60-$70.

For routers, Asus make good routers. Any router that MSRP is around $40-$50 should usually work well, and routers often go on sale for half their MSRP.

Whatever you do, I wouldn't buy a modem+router all-in-one, like the Motorola 6580. The routers that come in the all-in-ones are much weaker than a standard router, not to mention the combo will likely run $20 more expensive than if you bought a modem and router separately.

If you're doing AT&T, you'll have to use the modem they sell.

4. Win

Win Contributing Member

Thanks for the responses, gentlemen. I live in East Tx and am using Suddenlink as a cable ISP/cable tv, phone service. I want to let the cable tv and phone go. Though I am not an expert on such things, I feel certain I will have the speed to fit the impending streaming needs. I now have a modem but alas, Suddenlink will take it away without the cable/internet/phone bundle. Thus my desire to find a modum/router replacement to provide what I (in my infinite naivety) think must surely be affordable enough to provide good streaming to two Rokus and an old ass computer and not regret the cable tv loss.

5. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

I just went through this process and arrived at the conclusions Duncan McDonuts posted. I bought a Motorola 6141 router and a separate wireless router (Asus NT56). The 6141 works with several different ISPs and should future-proof me for quite a while. I went with the Asus router because it got great reviews. The firmware also seems to have a lot of features and the interface is very responsive. The performance together is great. However, together they would be over your budget by at least $50.

6. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Wait, you're saying if you don't keep your triple play bundle they'll take away your modem? Yeah, I highly doubt that.

7. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

The 6141 has been on sale at Staples recently for as low as $50, which is cheaper than the regular price of the 6121.

8. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

Don't get a combo if at all possible. Don't buy their modem/router combo either but rather buy your own modem and router. You have to look at their compliant list for the type of modem depending on the speed and just buy a used one if you can. You can get a dual band N router for around less than $100.

9. Sajan

Sajan Member

are there any quality routers these days anymore? back in the days, linksys routers were solid.

How can I set up a Cisco router I see at work..at home? lol

10. suddenlinkhelp

suddenlinkhelp New Member

Hi Win - My name is Connie and I am with Suddenlink. Please email me and I would be happy to go over modem options with you. My email address is connie-AT-suddenlink-DOT-com Thanks!

11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

This.

12. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

glad i searched the board and saw this thread/post...think i'm gonna finally ditch the modem TWC provides to get rid of the ridiculous rental fee charge. was looking into what modem to buy was looking at a all in one modem-router a few minutes ago. guess i'll pass on that.

EDIT: will the MOTOROLA SB6121 work if i have both home and phone service with TWC? i know its all connected somehow...because when the internet is down so is our phone...

#12 FlyerFanatic, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  13. Duncan McDonuts

I'm not sure how TWC does phone service, maybe ask Scionxa because he works with Comcast.

But, instead of paying for phone service, look into VoIP (Voice over IP) devices. It's a device that uses your internet as a phone line. The one I use, Ooma Telo, cost about $100 for the device (MSRP is $150) and I get charged $3.75/mo in taxes. All you do is plug the device directly into your router and your phoneline into the Ooma. You can also port your old number for $40.

There are other VoIP systems, but I found Ooma to have one of the best qualities with an easy setup. Other ones, you buy the device, then pay a subscription service through another party.

14. Scionxa

Lol what? I don't work for Comcast. I work for an IT consulting firm. (Several clutchfans can confirm that )I USED to work NOC at Time Warner Cable in Austin so that's why I know a ton about cable.

I agree with Ooma. I have one at my parents house. So cheap and always works

15. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

if i go with an ooma...where does the taxes get billed from? does ooma the service send you a bill or is it tacked onto internet bill through your ISP or what?

16. Scionxa

They send you a bill via e-mail. Its separate from your ISP bill. I just have it on auto pay since its less than $4 a month.

17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Call them. You can usually get the setup and a years service for $200.00

18. Duncan McDonuts

@Scionxa, sorry, I thought you did since you knew a lot about cable providers.

But yeah, Ooma is about $3.75 in taxes per month, and it gets billed to you but you can give them your credit card and put it on auto-pay.

19. HoustonTexas

HoustonTexas Member

Make sure your Modem is Docsis 3.0

Don't get the netgear wndr3700 router... I had to replace that because for some reason it wasn't able to give me the high speeds that I was supposed to get. I replaced it with an linksys ea3500 which is pretty good but this router is around $90