1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

ash broke his feet bro

2. SacTown

SacTown Member

I read that some longhorn linebacker called Baylor "Trash". Is it true?

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Swopes looks really good. He has a huge arm.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Yes, I know. He'll be back in the summer and I think Swoopes will win the job.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He looked brutally bad and ocmpletely incapable of throwing over the middle, even a half speed Ash is way better than Swoopes currently

6. Major

Major Member

A half-speed Ash (or a full speed one) is one bad hit away from potential serious long term damage. Regardless of if he might be better for a game or two, odds are not good that he lasts too long - the team is probably better off just focusing on trying to get Swoopes as functional as possible and build an offense around minimizing his weaknesses.

Or you hope the USC guy transfers and is capable of taking over.

7. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Those highlights showed how inaccurate Swoopes is. I think it'll take a year under Strong's system to really develop this team.

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Swoopes has looked absurdly awful from what I've seen

I think UT-Austin branch fans will look at him and expect another Vince Young, and will be tremendously disappointed.

9. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

And in next week's edition of "universal opinions from 2012", bigtexxx will offer his insight on Daryl Morey's inability to land a superstar... Will Houston ever get one? Stay tuned.

10. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I agree. It's between Ash and the USC transfer.

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

let me tell you something -- Tyrone Swoopes is no James Harden or Dwight Howard. When I saw him he didn't look particularly fast and threw like Uncle Rico (maybe that's the Vince comparison)

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

His weaknesses are pretty much everything at this point - he's big and strong and hard to tackle, but not particularly elusive, terrible accuracy, a slow, low tebowish release/wind-up. About the only thing he has is velocity, of course without accuracy it's not a big help.

13. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Does anybody else question why bigtexxx keeps up with other schools' sports and watches their Spring training?

14. DwightHoward13

I'm not expecting anything from Wittek. I am guessing Ash and Heard.

15. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I'm not calling him a Harden or Howard. I'm referring to the fact that you thinking UT fans will see Vince in Tyrone is a popular take from two years ago, and is nothing new or worth pointing out.

Anyone worth talking to knows Swoopes struggled mightily his senior year of high school at a tiny school and did not expect much out of him. The only ones who could "see" Vince in him are those that know nothing about him.

16. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I think Swoopes is best suited to be a strongside defensive end. He's a great athlete, but, as stated by several posters above, he isn't an explosive, elusive runner. He is very strong and fast for his size, though. Doesn't hurt that Strong turned Marcus Smith from a quarterback into a first-day defensive end prospect while at Louisville.

17. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I would be shocked if they don't redshirt Heard especially since Ash got a redshirt from this past season. They have to find a solution between Ash, Swoops and Wittek.

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Damn Garret Gilbert got drafted before a UT player

19. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/st...fl-draft-texas-longhorns-zero-players-drafted

20. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Surprised Jeffcoat didn't get drafted.