1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Random Musings] What I heard about KD, Melo, Pau Gasol, etc.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by steddinotayto, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I think people over rate Dwight's potential, if he was allowed to play a power game sure, but it's not lack of work, but lack of ability that causes him to brick 3 foot hooks like clock work, the whole christian thing, yeah he got what he deserved for that nonsense.

2. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

Durant to L.A. is an interesting idea but people say he's really hungry to win and be the #1 guy finally, which I think would be hard to do with a crummy Lakers lineup and the jury being out on whether that management team can rebuild after the Kobe era.

I do think he might get some criticism if he leaves, if only because his MVP speech and all that stuff about his love for his team gave so many sportswriters warm fuzzies that they might feel he was betraying that sentiment.

3. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

Lol this mofo never heard of China?

4. Da34Box

Da34Box Member

Is that in Bellaire?

5. Num1RoXfaN

Num1RoXfaN Member

Pau mortgage must be $400 a month if he's only spending $1600 a month. Unless he bout his house in full

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'll go into detail and respond to some individual posts after my workout. As far as his legitimacy all I can say is that aside from my tongue in cheek thread titles I don't start BS posts. This all came up BC his mother in law was getting treatment at the center I manage in Plano and he said she was a Spurs fan. I told him I'm from Houston and am a rockets fan and it rolled from there.

As for Iverson he knows AI isn't broke because of the trust his agent establish from his Reebok contract. Dude definitely knows what he's talking about.

Durant? What he told me came out without me asking. That shows how strong his info or opinion is on that topic.

7. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

To be fair, he did lose to Kobe who is one of the biggest names in sports history (Curry too, but Curry got more votes than LeBron!).

8. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

and IF iverson is broke today, his trust doesn't kick in until he's like 50. maybe he can borrow against it?

9. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

He could sure use that $500,000 now.

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

He's got millions in his bank account once he turns 50 I think.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If OKC doesn't win a championship this year or next, KD is gone in 2016. He won't get any flak for it either because he won't do anything stupid to make people despise him like LeBron did.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

My brother is not me, does not speak for me, blahblahblah - KD :p

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Kevin Durant's brother with his thoughts: <a href="http://t.co/yTxO6ch8G3">pic.twitter.com/yTxO6ch8G3</a></p>&mdash; Royce Young (@royceyoung) <a href="https://twitter.com/royceyoung/status/560640611582103552">January 29, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. steddinotayto

Okay finished workout, ate dinner, now I'm on clutchfans blah blah blah :grin:

No one recognizable. I had to do my own detective work to make sure he was just BS'in around. I think what he's telling me is more of what he's heard from Derek Fisher and his other NBA connections than his own opinion. Definitely didn't carry himself as a type of guy that throws out BS as we actually spent the bulk of the conversation at my center talking about how NBA players don't manage their money and other financial stuff. Granted he's not an agent or of the ilk but he's definitely not just throwing stuff out just to get attention.

I think most of what he said about Durant stems from his conversations with Fisher and his experience playing in OKC. This is my OWN opinion: Durant sees his own professional mortality after he had that foot injury. He knows his team is very good when healthy but after going down in the playoffs the past two years because one player or another got injured, you can't blame him for wondering when the end will come. They had a legitimate chance to have at least one ring if Harden wasn't shipped off. And what did they get out of that trade? A decent big, a 3rd string guard, and a 1 year rental of Kevin Martin.......for an MVP-caliber player! Tack on the way Reggie Jackson is trying to get his every time he steps on the court.....you can't say Durant re-signing is a lock by any means.

Is he going to try to form his own super friends team like LeBron? Probably not but reshuffling the deck in another area code isn't out of the question. Move East and go to the Wizards and that's a definite contender. Stay in the West and he'll have to reload. What if Kobe retires? Lakers get Love for the max, wait another year and get Durant for the Max...that's definitely a good start. Again...all MY opinion.

I respect the skepticism and am not offended one bit. The Iverson story was pretty funny and I didn't find info on Fat Joe buy Iverson's house either. Just thought it was funny that Chuck did that. Another example of that era of NBA players I guess.

As for Howard? It's funny because he named the same names you said regarding to who he's work out with...and yet he still doesn't have one solid go-to offensive move. Players can train with the best but if there isn't consistency and routine then it's all for naught. Read Malcolm Gladwell on his 10,000 hours theory and you will see maybe why Howard hasn't progressed into an All-Timer. Is he still an elite center? Of course but like what we all know....centers in this era leaves a lot to be desired.

lol trust me I wasn't some starry eyed fan trying to suck up to him and he wasn't trying to throw names out like he wanted or needed the attention. He actually spent a good deal of time talking about his daughter and how she's playing collegiate volleyball and Arkansas-Little Rock. Again, whatever he told me and whatever I'm relaying back should be taken with a grain of salt...it's not information you can etched onto a rock but it's interesting.

14. steddinotayto

Howard's just not fluid. It doesn't matter how much time he spends with Hakeem Dwight doesn't have the footwork nor the ability to think fast and react when double teams comes. Ewing had bulk and would lower his shoulder to get to the basket. I accepted Howard for who he was before he came to the Rockets and I still accept him for who he is now and that's a defensive juggernaut that needs to get the easy buckets like Tyson Chandler.

I think the LA thing was just his own opinion. The real eye opener is that Durant could leave OKC. Here's something else he talked about (again grain of salt) regarding that now that I have time to recollect today's convo:

"Durant is a nice kid but when you get to that level..that elite level where it's you and a couple of guys over everyone else...that ego is hard to escape."

I think he's alluding to the fact that, yes, OKC is Durant's team but unless the Thunder are winning and winning big, the possibility of leaving is always there. Winning cures all...even as Westbrook tries to be the alpha dog, even as Reggie Jackson continues to jack up shots...but what if they don't win a ring by the time Durant's a free agent? Why would he need to put up with all that nonsense when he can go join Wall and Beal in DC or start his own team in LA?

I think his mother in law is getting treated again next month. Unfortunately I accepted a position at another company and will start in a couple of weeks. Wished I could have a 2nd conversation with him.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Hmm, Pau probably watches a 20" Dynex TV.

16. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

One thing about Dwight's post game that will always hinder him is he has no counter move when the hook is taken away from him by the defense. Hakeem had that fadeaway as his go to move and if teams took that away he could go to the hook or face them up and shoot from 15ft.

Dwight has no jumper at all and he has only made desperation shots outside of the paint for his whole career so he is no threat out there so teams know this and don't even worry about him when he is out there.

There are critics of Shaq's game but he had a decent turnaround jumper and could use the jump hook as well.

Dwight is just a limit offensive player and thats all he will ever be.

17. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

His movements are fine, he gets a ton of good post shots, but his touch is awful. If Dmo was physically capable of getting to the spots Dwight does, he really would score 30 points a game.

18. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

“Mr. Unreliable” is outta there. And if he loved home that much he would have gone to college in Washington.

Durant was recruited to Texas once. It can happen again.

19. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

Sounds like he studied ESPN commentary.

20. dback816

dback816 Member

What is Antoine doing these days? Those old Pierce/Walker Celtics were fun. Chuckers, sure, but still fun.

Not surprised about Pau. Seems a lot of these Euro guys have at least have a brain.

And Fisher? Who the hell is going to give Coach Fisher 100%?